This team just isn't that good. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This team just isn't that good.

For me it's not simply about the product being entertaining. I have an expectation about how the team should look against certain competition. Looking overmatched against USC or WVU would be one thing. Letting a FCS team have life right to the very end is disappointing. We're 2-0 and I'm glad, but being glad is not the same as satisfied. At 2-0 the look test clearly shows that this team is missing a lot. Did Carter make the O-line look better than they really were? What's gonna happen when our D-line goes up against a good O-line? Our secondary hasn't been covering elite recievers and is still getting burned too often. That scares me. I expected the defense to struggle some and maybe improve throughout the season, but I hoped the offense would make up for it. So far it looks no better and maybe even worse. I didn't necessarily expect a top 25 team this year, but I did expect a team that would manhandle a FCS team. Here's hoping my untrained eyes are missing correctable mistakes that the coaching staff can fix as the season progresses.

Why do people act like winning the 25th best bowl game is a major accomplishment?

The team is winning more often than not. That's about all that can be said, however, as its an awfully unentertaining product they are throwing out there. It could get better, but with superconferences on the horizon, unless the Big 10 comes calling, I think the program is in a secular mode.

My original reply quote was to the person who talked about how we are a bad football team having to rebuild from scratch. That tells me that he thinks we were coming off a 3 win season and would be doing more of the same.

Are we a good football team? Who the heck knows at this point? 2 games does not a season make. But hey, we are 2-0, so I will take it every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Basically SU has found its level. They're not a BCS program anymore. They had a nice run last year while the league was down. Most these guys aren't D1 guys.
Really? Wasn't it just last week we beat a BCS program that went out and won a conference game today? Please step away from the computer.

Unfortunately I agree with the title of this thread - so far.
But it seems like we have so many things to work on.
OL should be a strength, not sure it is. When are they going to take over a game and just force their will??
DL, it has its moments but...LB's, youg with growing pains, DB's, how many injuries can they take back there???
Ryan, the real deal, Chewy, very very good, Lemon, Provo, Bailey, ok, but need to play like go to guys more often...
I was hoping for a major improvement this week from last...not sure we got it.
Will I support them, ABSOLUTELY!! Am I comfortable with what I am seeing out there yet, no.

Imagine this, we are 2-0 and we have a bunch of semi-doubters out here, me being one of them.
It is nice to have great expectations for this team because we think they can do it.
A far better place to be than a few years ago...

He's is NOT an every down back and proved it again. If you had no O line in front of you, you at least need a back that can break a tackle or get positive yards. At least give Adonis a shot, how much worse can you look in the run game? Don't you need to know what you have, and how do you know if you don't use the players available??

I don't know if we have an every down back on the roster. AAM may break that first tackle but if he can't pass protect at all, they'll know it's a run anytime he's in there (it looked like they kept Bailey in a lot to help). I think Bailey would look more like an everydown back with average offensive line play. He should have to make the first guy miss, but it should be 2 yards past the line of scrimmage not 2 yards behind it. That said, I would like to see what AAM can do. Does anyone know if he has played at all yet? Are they trying to save his redshirt?

I don't care what Coach Marrone said all week the players just don't get motivated to play teams like Rhode Island especially when the next game on the schedule is against one of the premiere teams in college football. The team simply thought they could beat Rhode Island by simply showing up today and they won the trap game. I think we will see completly differant SU football team next week at USC.

Ryan, the real deal, Chewy, very very good, Lemon, Provo, Bailey, ok, but need to play like go to guys more often...
What about Lemon this week and last makes him ok? I think he has been tremendous for us. Hasn't dropped a ball, gets tough YAC, and does his job blocking. If it wasn't for both him and Van, we wouldn't be 2-0 right now. Both those players have complemented each other very well. Agree with Provo, but Bailey is always going to have a tough day when there are 2 guys into the backfield right away on each play.

logo_syr.gif

Thanks, but you don't need to give me a "lesson" about how much of a disaster the DG era has been from a football perspective. I just think a people are confusing improvement and being good.
Easy...differing opinions are what makes this board an entertaining product.
Not being able to appreciate the difference between an 8-5 bowl season and complete futility has nothing to do with a difference of opinion. Sorry but I respectfully disagree.

Thanks, but you don't need to give me a "lesson" about how much of a disaster the DG era has been from a football perspective. I just think a people are confusing improvement and being good.
Again, using your own words, you claim winning the pinstripe is not a major accomplishment. And I reiterate, if you can't see how coming off the 5 year stretch we've had is a major accomplishment, you're pessimistic a best.

What about Lemon this week and last makes him ok? I think he has been tremendous for us. Hasn't dropped a ball, gets tough YAC, and does his job blocking. If it wasn't for both him and Van, we wouldn't be 2-0 right now. Both those players have complemented each other very well. Agree with Provo, but Bailey is always going to have a tough day when there are 2 guys into the backfield right away on each play.
agree, sit corrected...saw the stats today and realized I mis spoke...good correction

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom