This team terrifies me | Syracusefan.com

This team terrifies me

I still feel like this team is at a crossroads. They can continue to play like this and back into the Tourney and lose in the 2nd (errr, 3rd) round. Or they can bust out and start consistently hitting shots and play like a national title contender.

I still feel like this team is at a crossroads. They can continue to play like this and back into the Tourney and lose in the 2nd (errr, 3rd) round. Or they can bust out and start consistently hitting shots and play like a national title contender.

They just have no killer instinct. As it stands now, the people who said a loss could be good for this team were wrong. It has changed nothing. The script for every game is almost identical.

This team lacks a killer instinct. Can't keep expecting to roll 7's every time. There is something to be said for a team that can pull the heart right out of their opponent with 10 minutes left. Come tourney time we will not win more than 3 games in our current fashion, the competition is too good.

If anyone cares, I've been saying this for quite some time without trying to look like too much of a downer. Heaven forbid Grant's injury doesn't get better really quickly(if at all), or that paper thin margin for error is gone.

The upside is that we made some "clutch" shots that we have a different name for if the opponent makes them. Without all of them, this would likely have been a loss.

And if TC had just a decent offensive game, the win is easy. Not blaming TC; no player wants to miss shots, and he was rushed most of the time. Of course, losing Grant was a huge downer. B had his worst game in the last four or five. Let's just hope they have all players on deck for Saturday.

shoulda took notes on who was saying this stuff last year in late feb/early march

Cooney is the X factor. When he's hot, we can beat anyone. When he's not, we can lose to everyone.

Sorry, but I disagree about the killer instinct. They have won the majority of these close games because of their heart.

There's a difference between a killer instinct and being clutch. This team is definitely clutch and performs when the pressure is on. Problem is, they shouldn't have to deal with that pressure night in and night out. Up 12 against a terrible BC team at home and you should step on their throats and eliminate any notion of a comeback. Same situation in this game. If we took care of business earlier in the game, we wouldn't need to sweat it out in the end and make miracle plays at the end of games.

There's a difference between a killer instinct and being clutch. This team is definitely clutch and performs when the pressure is on. Problem is, they shouldn't have to deal with that pressure night in and night out. Up 12 against a terrible BC team at home and you should step on their throats and eliminate any notion of a comeback. Same situation in this game. If we took care of business earlier in the game, we wouldn't need to sweat it out in the end and make miracle plays at the end of games.
I do agree, they need to tighten their grip when they have the lead. We should have won by double figures but I'm starting to think this is a good little weapon we have the last few minutes of a game. It might help us in March and April. I doubt any other team in the country has had this many pressure-packed endings game after game.

I do agree, they need to tighten their grip when they have the lead. We should have won by double figures but I'm starting to think this is a good little weapon we have the last few minutes of a game. It might help us in March and April. I doubt any other team in the country has had this many pressure-packed endings game after game.

Nice to know they can handle pressure situations, but they can't do it 100% of the time. The BC game proved that. And there are no second chances in the tournament. You let some little crap Vermont-like team stick around and suddenly you're going home because they hit a 35 foot 3-pointer in the waning moments. I can't handle another tournament loss like that!

Sorry, but I disagree about the killer instinct. They have won the majority of these close games because of their heart.
Not sure heart and killer instinct are the same but I get your point. When you can't dominate, heart is absolutely needed to win. Would like them to add a little domination now and then, so they can save on the heart a little, and it would also help make my heart not beat so fast at the end of games too. ;)

The problem with this team is they are completely comfortable with an 8 point lead. It's like a blowout to them when they're up 8. It's like a heart attack to every SU fan though.

They've got to learn to take that 8 point lead and turn it into an 18 point lead. We lack separation ability.

The problem with this team is they are completely comfortable with an 8 point lead. It's like a blowout to them when they're up 8. It's like a heart attack to every SU fan though.

They've got to learn to take that 8 point lead and turn it into an 18 point lead. We lack separation ability.

I don't think its a question of being comfortable, we just aren't an explosive offensive team.

I don't think its a question of being comfortable, we just aren't an explosive offensive team.

We're good enough on offense to get those leads. We just get complacent and change our style of play, both on offense and defense.

Most of our Syracuse teams aren't good at taking a 10 point lead and making it 24. Its usually a one out of 5-7 game thing for us. We just don't click on all cylinders offensively all that often.

Unless you can teach the players to shoot 75% percent for the next 16 possessions, and have 2-3 really good jump shooters or really specialize in transition, its hard to do. Good teams aren't going to let you pound it inside succesfully all game long. In truth I think you would be hard pressed to find another syracuse team that gets fouled taking the ball to the rim with no whistles as this one though.

We shot 50 percent the first half and finished the game shooting 40. I didn't realize we shot 30% in the second half running virtually the same offense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom