This year's Kentucky team is not an all time team | Syracusefan.com

This year's Kentucky team is not an all time team

Alsacs

Living Legend
When I think of dominant teams of recent past I would put the 2012 UK team, 2009 North Carolina, 2008 Kansas team better overall than this Kentucky.

The media echo chamber just needs stuff to talk about. This Kentucky team is a really good team and should be a favorite to win the NC but their offense is not good enough to be in the discussion with the team I listed above. Now the UK defense is probably among the best in recent history.

I think the following are team capable of beating Kentucky come March.
1. Wisconsin
2. Duke
3. Arizona
4. Gonzaga
5. Iowa State
6. Georgetown

These teams have the size and shooters capable of beating these Wildcats. The crapiness of the SEC along with the fact UK is only played 1 true OOC road games has made this myth of 40-0 possible. If UK played in the Big XII/B1G/ACC/Big East they would lose a road game.

Likely any team S16 and on who shoots it well from the outside against them will have a chance. They lack a real dynamic wing scorer but are loaded with post guys.

UK perimeter guards just don't scare you. I respect the hell out of WCS, and their other bigs are good. Ulis is their best guard but Calipari gives the Harrison twins more PT.

I just can't believe all the hype their are getting from the media. This team is good but it doesn't scream dominant all around team.

Ulis should play 30 min they would be better for it. I like their line of WCS Towns & Lyels best.

When I think of dominant teams of recent past I would put the 2012 UK team, 2009 North Carolina, 2008 Kansas team better overall than this Kentucky.

The media echo chamber just needs stuff to talk about. This Kentucky team is a really good team and should be a favorite to win the NC but their offense is not good enough to be in the discussion with the team I listed above. Now the UK defense is probably among the best in recent history.

1. Wisconsin
2. Duke
3. Arizona
4. Gonzaga
5. Iowa State
6. Georgetown

These teams have the size and shooters capable of beating these Wildcats. The crapiness of the SEC along with the fact UK is only played 1 true OOC road games has made this myth of 40-0 possible. If UK played in the Big XII/B1G/ACC/Big East they would lose a road game.

I tend to agree. Kentucky is a really good team but I don't see them as unbeatable. Now it may be wishful thinking on my part but I think I can be objective about it. Incidentally Alsacs, I enjoy how you follow and can talk intelligently about other teams from around the country. Obviously, Syracuse is my primary rooting interest but I have family all over the US so I tend to follow a lot of other conferences also.

Ehhhhhh. I don't know, Louisville didn't see to have one good look on the offensive end and Kentucky is just sooooo big and athletic it seemed like they grabbed every rebound.

They beat Louisville at home by 8, that's not a small feat, if anything this game showed me that it's going to be extremely difficult to beat them.

Welp they looked like an all time great team to me so far this season

They can be beat i just dont see them going the distance. Other teams will get better and close the gap.

kcsu said:
They can be beat i just dont see them going the distance. Other teams will get better and close the gap.

Other teams will get better but the youngest team in basketball won't?

lville missed 6-10 very good looks at 3. They had very little open inside the paint.
LVille is not a good shooting team. (There aren't many of them out there.) Against a better shooting team, UK will concentrate more on guarding the perimeter. But I don't think their back court defends nearly as well as their bigs, so if one of the good shooting teams gets it going from behind the arc, Kentucky can be beat. Of course, anyone can be beat if the opponent is making a good percentage of a large number of 3's.

On the other hand, UK can beat a whole lot of people just with blocked shots and put-backs.

1. Wisconsin
2. Duke
3. Arizona
4. Gonzaga
5. Iowa State
6. Georgetown

Agreed. I think the level of success they're having this year is just as much a product of how much college basketball has declined as it is to how talented they are.

1. Wisconsin
2. Duke
3. Arizona
4. Gonzaga
5. Iowa State
6. Georgetown

Wow! We're still flying below the radar.

I am not surprised by the hype...it's what the media does.

UK is loaded and I think they only lose in the regular season if they beat themselves. But....come March anything can happen in a one game scenario with the weight of expectations on their shoulders.

Which team is lurking out there, (and not necessariy on Kentucky's regular season schedule) that people would pick as the ideal team to beat Kentucky?

I think it's got to be a team with a really good perimeter game that plays disruptive defense. I'd go with Duke.

This platoon system is a joke. Or maybe Cal is just messing with everyone and gets to a legit rotation come March. Their best lineup is Ulis-Booker-Lyles-Towns-Cauley.

That 2005 UNC team was pretty sick also.

Also, it's a factor of how down college basketball is this season. Look at all these unranked teams that are perennial top-25 powers:

Syracuse
UConn
Georgetown
Pitt
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
UCLA
Florida

Kansas is not your typical Kansas
UNC is not your typical UNC
Even ranked #4, this is Pitino's worst squad in 5+ years, IMO

if only Tyler hadn't jumped, we'd crush em in March

:sadface:

Ehhhhhh. I don't know, Louisville didn't see to have one good look on the offensive end and Kentucky is just sooooo big and athletic it seemed like they grabbed every rebound.

They beat Louisville at home by 8, that's not a small feat, if anything this game showed me that it's going to be extremely difficult to beat them.

I agree. It's not even conference play yet and athletically the team is really scary. I believe Louisville had one (1) assist the entire game.

If Anthony Davis was still at Kentucky, then we could talk about an all-time team. The talent that leaves at one-and-done means that there hasn't been an all-time team in college basketball in over a decade.

Wow! We're still flying below the radar.
UVA is a final 4 favorite no doubt they play a similar game to UK which is suffocating defense. I don't think you guys are the right matchup with bigs/shooters to beat UK.
Obviously you guys could beat them and I like UVA a lot this year its just the teams I listed are all the bad matchups for UK and beyond the top 4 only Iowa State in a sweet 16 or Georgetown in a 2nd round could happen before the elite 8.

if only Tyler hadn't jumped, we'd crush em in March

:sadface:

K7G.gif.jpeg

Give us Tyler, Jerami and a healthy DaJuan...and we'd probably still lose because you can't beat them inside and we still wouldn't have the outside game needed to do so.

But I wish we had those guys though. If we played Kentucky it would be in the Final Four. As it is, it might be in the first weekend. :(

turn their guards over, shoot around 50% from 3 and a team would have a chance to beat them. That is a lot to ask from any other team out there, and too much from any team in the SEC. They will be undefeated into the Final 4, and if they finish the year that way, you'd have to talk about them as an all time team.

Dating myself, but the 89-90 Runnin Rebels and Phi Slamma Jamma are a couple of my standards for all time teams, even though the Cougars were upset by Jimmy V.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom