Thompson the elder... | Syracusefan.com

Thompson the elder...

bpo57

Living Legend
apparently did quite a bit of grave dancing in the post game conference today. Please remember that in a couple of weeks when somebody here says we should be rooting for the Hoyas in the tourney because they're our BE brethren.

I hope we play them again and his words are what motivates the team to finish strong...

apparently did quite a bit of grave dancing in the post game conference today. Please remember that in a couple of weeks when somebody here says we should be rooting for the Hoyas in the tourney because they're our BE brethren.

Both he and his son can choke on a bag of d--ks.

Both he and his son can choke on a bag of d--ks.
from what patrick ewing reportedly said... thats impossible... they both have a no gag reflex.

The whole point of rooting for conference teams in the Big Dance is that our reputation is tied to them. But we will no longer be a Big East team in a couple of weeks, so it no longer matters. I hope Georgetown loses by 30 to Lehigh or whomever.

He will rot in hell along with the d bag thugs he recruited for that arse clown program.

The whole point of rooting for conference teams in the Big Dance is that our reputation is tied to them. But we will no longer be a Big East team in a couple of weeks, so it no longer matters. I hope Georgetown loses by 30 to Lehigh or whomever.

I've never bought that notion. It only helps our BE opponents when they do well in the tourney. SU and the BE have always been big-time enough that our fate isn't tied to how other BE teams do in the tourney.

Georgetown will be out of the Tourney in 3 games or less, because they can't win without fouling on every possession. The Big East is the only league that encourages thuggery, so G'town is officially closed !!!

What did he do or say, I missed it?
He referred to SU and the football schools as pimps for using them and then leaving the BE and then said:

"We officially closed Syracuse and now we kiss them goodbye".

I've never bought that notion. It only helps our BE opponents when they do well in the tourney. SU and the BE have always been big-time enough that our fate isn't tied to how other BE teams do in the tourney.

We can go back to that debate next year. it doesn't matter now.

Sure I just never got how we benefited from one of these other BE teams doing well in the tourney. Not sure any of our recruits said yeah I want to go to Cuse cuz UConn won a NC. Just doesn't work that way. In fact the BE has fallen on its face more times than not over the last 4-5 years in the NCAAs and yet our recruiting has been fine.

I agree that it's a debate for next year but I think it will take Pitt & SU fans a decade before we start pulling for our new conference mates. It will take even longer for the teams from the deep South to pull for us.

Not much we can do about it anyway. The Big East leadership really blew it, & now the conference is no more. I don't care if they have a new conference with that name, it will become a mid-major quality league, & the top teams in it will be diminished greatly.

If the Big East had worked WITH the ACC instead of competing against them, this entire scenario might have been okay for the Big East.

Do these gtown fools even understand we want to leave? They aren't kissing us goodbye, we are dumping their sorry ass for bigger and better things.

Not much we can do about it anyway. The Big East leadership really blew it, & now the conference is no more. I don't care if they have a new conference with that name, it will become a mid-major quality league, & the top teams in it will be diminished greatly.

If the Big East had worked WITH the ACC instead of competing against them, this entire scenario might have been okay for the Big East.

What the Big East will become is TBD.

The original 1980 Big East was really a bunch of near Mid-Majors. The thing erupted into a force in college BB.

Big East loyalists like to imagine that the ACC was trying t destroy the Big East. That was just collateral damage. They were trying to protect themselves against the SEC and Big Ten. They just did what the Big East did earlier to the A10.

Sure I just never got how we benefited from one of these other BE teams doing well in the tourney. Not sure any of our recruits said yeah I want to go to Cuse cuz UConn won a NC. Just doesn't work that way. In fact the BE has fallen on its face more times than not over the last 4-5 years in the NCAAs and yet our recruiting has been fine.
Hmm...its called NCAA credits that go to a conference of the teams that do well in the Big Dance...units are $$$. The deeper a team goes in the Big Dance, more $$$ are earned by its conference. For example, the BE has earned nearly $30 million in NCAA credits in the past year....dollars received each year are based on payouts from, I believe, six years ago moving forward. These $$$ are then distributed equally among the conference's members. Unfortunately, these credits do not go with the teams that won them if that team leaves the conference...so 'Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, WVU, and Notre Dame, which won the most credits for games won in the BE are leaving without some $$$ earned over the credit payout period. Note that the New BE will get to take a lot of these credits with them...another fair split with the BE...

I agree that it's a debate for next year but I think it will take Pitt & SU fans a decade before we start pulling for our new conference mates. It will take even longer for the teams from the deep South to pull for us.

Strange concept. At least to me. I never rooted for other Big East teams unless I could make a very clear connection between their winning a particular game and that directly benefiting Syracuse. They were the enemy when we played them and they weren't very much more attractive when they were playing some one else.

I don't think any more time would have made me want to root for UConn or Georgetown ever.

He's an irrelevant old fool that has alienated most people and nobody likes. As far as who to root for, I'm solidly in the ACC camp now, pleased to see we did well in the Bowl season and hoping for the same in the dance.

Strange concept. At least to me. I never rooted for other Big East teams unless I could make a very clear connection between their winning a particular game and that directly benefiting Syracuse. They were the enemy when we played them and they weren't very much more attractive when they were playing some one else.

I don't think any more time would have made me want to root for UConn or Georgetown ever.
However, there was definite cache in beating UConn the year following their National Championship runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom