Thompson time | Syracusefan.com

Thompson time

Ajflood12

Starter
i know TT gets in foul trouble but he provides a spark. He ignited the comeback in second half. Then he didn't see the floor after he picked up his 4th foul. I don't understand it. It's not like Roberson is killing it on the boards anymore.

Thompson is skilled offensively, but defensively...not so much

i know TT gets in foul trouble but he provides a spark. He ignited the comeback in second half. Then he didn't see the floor after he picked up his 4th foul. I don't understand it. It's not like Roberson is killing it on the boards anymore.

It was an alley oop dunk fest with Thompson in the middle. Great offensive game tonight though.

Thompson is skilled offensively, but defensively...not so much
I know but what is roberson giving them lately? He cannot score and I don't seem him having any double digit rebound games lately. He looks like he is playing out the season ready to go.

Wonder if the Battle/White/Lydon/Thompson/Chukwu lineup would have ever been effective

...not that it ever was a lineup but its a lot of offense with supposed defensive help for Thompson downlow between Lydon and Paschal

Wonder if the Battle/White/Lydon/Thompson/Chukwu lineup would have ever been effective

Battle has yet to play the point spot all season. Not sure we would have ever seen it.

Lets stop with the Roberson great defender, great rebounder narratives. Roberson is great on the OFFENSIVE boards. He isn't anything special on the defensive boards and his defense, while better than TT, is not good.

It's a very simple equation for me.
TT good offense bad defense.

TR terrrible offense, OK defense.

Ill take the good with the bad over the terrible with the oK

Lets stop with the Roberson great defender, great rebounder narratives. Roberson is great on the OFFENSIVE boards. He isn't anything special on the defensive boards and his defense, while better than TT, is not good.

I'd put TT's defense in the terrible category but still you're outcome's correct in my mind.

JB yanked TT because he had 1 rebound and was mostly just standing aside and watching instead of banging the boards. But he should have subed him back in on offense for Robey.

he played 27 minutes.put up a nice line. now 3 cats played all 45. maybe they shoulder some blame.

Roberson was not remotely the problem tonight

edit - in fact, I'd be willing to argue that TT's allergy to rebounding and ineptitude on D actually more than cancelled out his offensive output, and were (along with too many missed 3s) the main reason we lost

Nahh, I ain't letting you get away with this one. TT is a good scorer, but he's bad in our offense. And he's a TERRIBLE defender.

TT bothers me so much. The worst thing he did tonight was take the shot with his feet nearly on the three point line in the corner and make it. That's the worst shot in hoops even if he makes it. But it just emboldened him. Luckily for us he actually made some shots tonight. But when he does shoot and miss, it's always with no one else even close to being in position to get an offensive board, and it usually happens early in the shot clock.

It's true TT looked special the start of the second half... and his D is arguably better. He seems to have hit and miss games on the offensive end but when he's good he's a legit weapon and getting better on D I think/hope. I was screaming for Robey being the better lineup and Robey had a good game but I'm starting to change my tune. I imagine Robey is only playing for his teammates now because he has to truly hate JB at this point and I'm not sure the better D and rebounding is worth it at this point.

That said TT usually has about a foul every three minutes played so it usually does not matter.

TT, at times, is a bit of an enigma, like certain posters on here. I'm just curious if folks think he gets that rebound like Robey did at the end... or dives on the floor like Robey did before whomever missed yet another 3 and Lydon had his nice follow dunk?

Youre going to get your mix of pros and cons with each, and at this point there is no simple answer. That's about the only simple thing to be said about this.

Can you really defend Roberson play this season?
Lets educate you a littles here. We lose the rebounding battle by 25 and the game by 10 in regulation without Roberson in there. He does things a typical ball watching fan, like I assume you are, can't see. He is non-stop energy and contests rebounds on every shot. He gets 7 or 8 rebounds a game for SOMEBODY ELSE just by battling on contested. He is not good with the ball in his hands obviously.
So, yes, I'll defend his play even if his coach won't.

Thompson is about as bad as you can get defensively. He's probably the worst defensive player that plays since Carmelo. And even 'Melo rebounded.

He needs to toughen up and care about the other end of the court. He doesn't even try half the time.

roberson entered the second half with about 6 minutes left. TT played the first 14.

Lets educate you a littles here. We lose the rebounding battle by 25 and the game by 10 in regulation without Roberson in there. He does things a typical ball watching fan, like I assume you are, can't see. He is non-stop energy and contests rebounds on every shot. He gets 7 or 8 rebounds a game for SOMEBODY ELSE just by battling on contested. He is not good with the ball in his hands obviously.
So, yes, I'll defend his play even if his coach won't.
I don't need a lesson...his per 40 stats show that he hasn't improved in any area from his freshman year...he actually posts less points, less rebounds then sophomore year/junior year, his FT % has dropped from 70% to 48%. In the past I have thought he was high energy and did non stat related stuff like in the tourney last year. He isn't providing the same type of energy this year. He looks lost and disinterested. It probably has to do with JB crushing him. I was a big supporter and wanted to see him do well but he def isn't stepping up like a normal Cuse senior.

Also, on a per 40 basis TT would average 7.5 rebounds a game while at the same time doubling the amount of points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom