Thompson time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thompson time

I don't need a lesson...his per 40 stats show that he hasn't improved in any area from his freshman year...he actually posts less points, less rebounds then sophomore year/junior year, his FT % has dropped from 70% to 48%. In the past I have thought he was high energy and did non stat related stuff like in the tourney last year. He isn't providing the same type of energy this year. He looks lost and disinterested. It probably has to do with JB crushing him. I was a big supporter and wanted to see him do well but he def isn't stepping up like a normal Cuse senior.

Also, on a per 40 basis TT would average 7.5 rebounds a game while at the same time doubling the amount of points.

Taurean Thompson would allow about 30 points per game in the center of the zone (minimum) if allowed to play 25+ minutes per game. I don't care how many points he scores, it's a net wash at best.

Taurean Thompson would allow about 30 points per game in the center of the zone (minimum) if allowed to play 25+ minutes per game. I don't care how many points he scores, it's a net wash at best.
It is funny that you can put down TT for playing bad defense...but I say that Roberson has regressed to below his freshman level and there is an argument given the stats.

It is funny that you can put down TT for playing bad defense...but I say that Roberson has regressed to below his freshman level and there is an argument given the stats.

I can absolutely put down Taurean Thompson for playing bad defense because it is shockingly, epic proportions bad. He can't cover anyone and when he fouls, allows others to get and-one opportunities way too much.

For all of Roberson's shortcomings, he had four points, eight rebounds and three assists last night. Meaning he directly impacted at least 10 points by point or assist and did not turn the ball over. Thompson had 11 points, 1 rebound and 1 turnover, 0 assists, he impacted the offensive end with 11 points directly and had one turnover to negatively impact the game.

That's more even than you'd guess by reading your posts. And Roberson's D is exponentially better.

I can absolutely put down Taurean Thompson for playing bad defense because it is shockingly, epic proportions bad. He can't cover anyone and when he fouls, allows others to get and-one opportunities way too much.

For all of Roberson's shortcomings, he had four points, eight rebounds and three assists last night. Meaning he directly impacted at least 10 points by point or assist and did not turn the ball over. Thompson had 11 points, 1 rebound and 1 turnover, 0 assists, he impacted the offensive end with 11 points directly and had one turnover to negatively impact the game.

That's more even than you'd guess by reading your posts. And Roberson's D is exponentially better.
If you can put down TT then why can I not put down Roberson for being disappointing this season. I am not basing this on one game. To your point about impact in the game though...Roberson, our senior, played 10 more minutes in the game then our freshman TT. Hopefully he would do something more in that 10 minutes. Net he still did less.

If you can put down TT then why can I not put down Roberson for being disappointing this season. I am not basing this on one game. To your point about impact in the game though...Roberson, our senior, played 10 more minutes in the game then our freshman TT. Hopefully he would do something more in that 10 minutes. Net he still did less.

How do you come to that conclusion? How do you 'net' out the open shots that TT allows constantly?

well rebound ratio 1:8, scoring about 3:1. defense. indefensible. i guess i don't get your "net" math.

How do you come to that conclusion? How do you 'net' out the open shots that TT allows constantly?

I think a lot of people who think basketball is mainly about scoring love Thompson. I think people who realize you can mess up a game in a lot of other areas understand Thompson has deficiencies that hurt you against good competition. For a while when we were really bad on the boards I thought it was a direct result of Thompson being in the middle and of position.

and as far as scoring goes also keep in mind roberson only took 2 shots. made them both. TT was 5/6.
do you want roberson taking more shots to up his scoring numbers and if the answer is yes then tell us who you want shooting less. white ? lydon ? gillon ? battle? those extra shots have to come from somebody.
possessions are limited. and roberson does what he does best. that is give us more possessions. not score.

By the way, did I see correctly last night? In the first half, very early in the game, did Thompson actually dribble between his legs, then nearly lose the ball out of bounds? I thought JB was going to stroke out right away.

Maybe the better spot on D for Thompson might be on the wing, where he can help and collect the weakside rebounds, kind of like DC did.

But he has to be on the floor, cuz SU's got no low post offense without him.

Kev

I didn't come up with this netting thing...the other poster did

"For all of Roberson's shortcomings, he had four points, eight rebounds and three assists last night. Meaning he directly impacted at least 10 points by point or assist and did not turn the ball over. Thompson had 11 points, 1 rebound and 1 turnover, 0 assists, he impacted the offensive end with 11 points directly and had one turnover to negatively impact the game.

That's more even than you'd guess by reading your posts. And Roberson's D is exponentially better."

So I took a look at the numbers...For all of TT terrible defense. He played 4 minutes in first half and 18 total minutes...majority was start of 2nd half to 6.15 mark. In that time the forwards had Adel: 5pts, Mathiang: 5pts, Johnson: 2pts and Mahmoud: 0 pts. S0 12 points overall in that stretch. TT had 11. They ended up with 38 pts combined in the game. It's not like they destroyed Syracuse during that stretch. Maybe on the boards but that is common in all Cuse games...but it didn't impact the score. We were down 4 at the half and tied at 48 when he left.

I didn't come up with this netting thing...the other poster did

"For all of Roberson's shortcomings, he had four points, eight rebounds and three assists last night. Meaning he directly impacted at least 10 points by point or assist and did not turn the ball over. Thompson had 11 points, 1 rebound and 1 turnover, 0 assists, he impacted the offensive end with 11 points directly and had one turnover to negatively impact the game.

That's more even than you'd guess by reading your posts. And Roberson's D is exponentially better."

So I took a look at the numbers...For all of TT terrible defense. He played 4 minutes in first half and 18 total minutes...majority was start of 2nd half to 6.15 mark. In that time the forwards had Adel: 5pts, Mathiang: 5pts, Johnson: 2pts and Mahmoud: 0 pts. S0 12 points overall in that stretch. TT had 11. They ended up with 38 pts combined in the game. It's not like they destroyed Syracuse during that stretch. Maybe on the boards but that is common in all Cuse games...but it didn't impact the score. We were down 4 at the half and tied at 48 when he left.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd love to see how many offensive rebounds/assists those bigs had during that stretch as well, but don't think I'm asking you to research that.

Thompson is a great scorer, but his game bothers me in so many little ways. Two plays, both of which he scored on, illustrate this perfectly. The first I already talked about - the long jumper from the corner just inside the 3 line. The second is the opposite. It was the one where he actually scored over two Ville bigs in the second half. Tries to step through the double team, twice, then steps back and shoots a little jumper over them. Yeah he scored, but fundamentally, that was such a bad play. We have good shooters. If you are double teamed, find the open guy! And the little jumper he took went straight in. At that close, you should be using the backboard.

I know I'm a little crazy here, but it is what it is.

i guarantee here's the coaches scouting report on taureen thompson as of right now.

1. double team him on offense cuz he doesn't look to pass. 2. attack him on defense cuz he doesn't defend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom