Those last 5+ mins | Syracusefan.com

Those last 5+ mins

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Wow.

So many chances to build a two possession lead, with so much fail. Eventually you need to make a shot. St Johns eventually did that. A few wide open, may I add.

Last year we won a lot of games we could have lost. This year we will lose a lot of games we could have won.

It will be an interesting season. At this point, just getting to the tourney would be a huge victory. If you haven't accepted it yet, now might be time! It happens.

We cannot shoot the ball.

Last year we won these types of games because of Ennis. We just don't have that this year.

I'm not so sure we even practice offensive sets that much. We need a new OC.

Seriously, what the hell happened? At 55-52 we had all the momentum and a chance to put the game away, and we come up with the most awful finish to the game imaginable. Very frustrating.

What happened was the coaching staff has put together a team that has zero shooting threats - not even average shooters. This team is going nowhere. Whether the coach's misjudged what they were recruiting or guys who went elsewhere created recruiting issues - it is clear that this is one of those teams that is broken.

The Michigan game was lost when they had like 6 straight empty trips on offense with about 5 unforced turnovers. Today it was 1 trip in 6 that added to a 1 point lead. And again, if it wasn't unforced turnovers it was unwise play. At least 3 trips to add to a 3 point lead that ended in bad decisions.

You don't want to look at the play by play after Rak hit a foul shot to put us up by 5. Everything after that is either a turnover, or a shot attempt by Buss.

Last year we won these types of games because of Ennis. We just don't have that this year.

I'm not so sure we even practice offensive sets that much. We need a new OC.

Don't remember the Dayton one turning out like that nor the games like this at the end of the year last year either.

I was telling a friend this same thing last week. We all know for the past few year we managed to win these types of games and its not happening this year. SU is just too young and underdeveloped...Its going to be one rickety roller coaster

We had the crowd and all the momentum and the constant stoppage of play really hurt. It took the momentum and the crowd out of the game. The officials and clock really messed up this game.

You don't want to look at the play by play after Rak hit a foul shot to put us up by 5. Everything after that is either a turnover, or a shot attempt by Buss.

Unreal man. Unreal. It can't be all lack of experience. Tired of hearing that. Kansas has loads of inexperience and made a BIG comeback against a WAY better team than StJ.

SoBeCuse said:
Unreal man. Unreal. It can't be all lack of experience. Tired of hearing that. Kansas has loads of inexperience and made a BIG comeback against a WAY better team than StJ.

Florida has lost to some good teams. Regardless they're 3-4. St Johns this year is 6-1. They lost to Gonzaga, beat Minnesota at 6-2. Three other wins are against mediocrities and one I couldn't find. But they're hardly a bad team. We haven't had a What loss although Michigan certainly did today which doesn't help us. Things look bad and it's understandable given our offensive woes. But FWIW it's not like the rest of the country is great either, as has been discussed in another thread. College teams are seeing more parity, and earlier than tourney time this year.

And yes I'm trying hard to be the anti-Debbie Downer!

Keep in mind we played that entire 5 minute span without the guy who has been serving the role of PG all season.

This is the first time I can remember where I think JB may have given up a win to make a point with substitutions.

Wow.

So many chances to build a two possession lead, with so much fail. Eventually you need to make a shot. St Johns eventually did that. A few wide open, may I add.

Last year we won a lot of games we could have lost. This year we will lose a lot of games we could have won.

It will be an interesting season. At this point, just getting to the tourney would be a huge victory. If you haven't accepted it yet, now might be time! It happens.

We're going to have to win some we shouldn't to make it to the Tournament. There's still plenty of time for this team to find some answers. Let's hope they can.

Florida has lost to some good teams. Regardless they're 3-4. St Johns this year is 6-1. They lost to Gonzaga, beat Minnesota at 6-2. Three other wins are against mediocrities and one I couldn't find. But they're hardly a bad team. We haven't had a What loss although Michigan certainly did today which doesn't help us. Things look bad and it's understandable given our offensive woes. But FWIW it's not like the rest of the country is great either, as has been discussed in another thread. College teams are seeing more parity, and earlier than tourney time this year.

And yes I'm trying hard to be the anti-Debbie Downer!

No doubt. I think St. John's pretty good for sure. I just think Florida is much better, albeit dealing with injuries and such and despite the record. It's just how we are losing, not learning from mistakes, and what looks to be a bunch of a role players (despite the high recruit tags) minus Rak/Chris.

Keep in mind we played that entire 5 minute span without the guy who has been serving the role of PG all season.

This is the first time I can remember where I think JB may have given up a win to make a point with substitutions.

I hear ya but, playing Devil's advocate, that the possibility was there if KJ plays most of the minutes in the 2H then we get blown out of the gym.

I hear ya but, playing Devil's advocate, that the possibility was there if KJ plays most of the minutes in the 2H then we get blown out of the gym.

Very possible. But my point is, over the last 5 minutes we couldn't initiate the offense and get a score......we had MG manning the point and Patterson in the game, so it shouldn't be all that surprising that we had problems.

In JB's press conference he said that based on what he was seeing (and has seen) BJ and Buss were and are the next best 3 point options at that point in this game...and that's what he felt we needed. Why not? Nobody else was hitting from outside.

Buss tried and failed. JB's probably more frustrated than we are.

I also think that JB is going to give KJ a lot fewer minutes in the next couple of games. Based on what he's saying.

Wow.

When your 5th option is taking all the shots down the stretch, you are not going to win too many close games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom