Thoughts and Advice | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts and Advice

rundeal

Walk On
Hi everyone -- long-time lurker on this (and previous sites).

I know this has been mentioned ad nauseum, by many people on this board, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Many of you feel "empowered" given the nature of internet chat forums, to use it as an opportunity to say whatever you feel at a given moment. When someone tries cautioning otherwise, it becomes a mini-battle over controlling free speech.

The vast majority of posters here are true SU fans and genuinely care about your school and your sports programs, unlike the people that post on syracuse.com (what a cesspool!), which is why I thought I'd pass along the following advice:

1. Your passion can attract as repel potential recruits.

2. When you go in to negative funks -- especially during the last week, after losses, etc., you should be aware, at a minimum in the back of your mind, that every recruit, committed and uncommitted -- and their families -- is very likely reading what you post. It does matter -- which is why Doug cared so much about sites like this and what was being said. He recognized that it could harm recruiting. Now I'm not saying his approach/concern is wholly justified, but if you put yourself in his shoes for a moment you would feel similar concern.

3. Perspective -- many of the recruits SU is going after have many options in front of them. Who they play for matters. If they see a fan base that genuinely cares about them, the players on the team, and the team -- that's a positive. When they see a fan base that appears to snipe at every recruit, or hypercritical of players, questioning the school's commitment to football -- and other choices are available...do the math. Not that this helps prove my point, but it amazes me that Austin Wilson remains a commit with all the anointing that has been given to Zack Allen - who very well may be the next big thing or could be another Johnny Miller -- it's a crap shoot. The fans that have visions of sugar plum recruits dancing in the end zone before touching a football at the college level are the most laughable of all. There is potential, then there is reality. In reality, had Ashton Broyld not touched a football this year, this team would have done exactly what it did. You caught glimpses of what potential he has, but he didn't transform in to this game changing playmaker this season -- next year may very well be a different story, THAT, more than anything is the essence of college football.

4. Speaking of syracuse.com -- the powers that be that run their website really should invest in mods to clean up the drivel in the comments section over there. That place is 1000 times worse than the worst of posts made here and cannot help in recruiting quality players to this program.

5. Coach Shafer is going to keep this program going forward in the right direction. His players love him, his recruits love him - he's a players coach that had not this move been made would have left in the next year or two to take an HC position elsewhere. The program is in better hands than if the school went out and got a higher profile coach that wasn't familiar with the Northeast, the community, and the program.

In the end, you've got a good team, a good coaching staff, and as you saw this year, you are prepared to challenge for an ACC championship from the moment league play starts next season. my lasting advice is to ask you to consider, before hitting enter on your comments in the future, is to ask yourself -- "if I say this in the heat of the moment, am I hurting the school that I love?"

Take care and best of luck in the future! :)

For the powers to be when it comes to Syracuse.com they want hits and they get more hits when some dumbass posts crap (think cowherd) and they get more volume. Seriously, post a decent thread and it sits alone, post something annoying and the hits keep coming.

Excellent points- so true. Thank you.

Great post, some scary truth to the power that social media/technology can give to anybody.

Great guy and I was posting on that crud site when he was, God bless him if he stayed!
Yeah, was wondering if it were him. Rearrange the letters somewhat . . . . it's all there!

Hi everyone -- long-time lurker on this (and previous sites).

I know this has been mentioned ad nauseum, by many people on this board, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Many of you feel "empowered" given the nature of internet chat forums, to use it as an opportunity to say whatever you feel at a given moment. When someone tries cautioning otherwise, it becomes a mini-battle over controlling free speech.

The vast majority of posters here are true SU fans and genuinely care about your school and your sports programs, unlike the people that post on syracuse.com (what a cesspool!), which is why I thought I'd pass along the following advice:

1. Your passion can attract as repel potential recruits.

2. When you go in to negative funks -- especially during the last week, after losses, etc., you should be aware, at a minimum in the back of your mind, that every recruit, committed and uncommitted -- and their families -- is very likely reading what you post. It does matter -- which is why Doug cared so much about sites like this and what was being said. He recognized that it could harm recruiting. Now I'm not saying his approach/concern is wholly justified, but if you put yourself in his shoes for a moment you would feel similar concern.

3. Perspective -- many of the recruits SU is going after have many options in front of them. Who they play for matters. If they see a fan base that genuinely cares about them, the players on the team, and the team -- that's a positive. When they see a fan base that appears to snipe at every recruit, or hypercritical of players, questioning the school's commitment to football -- and other choices are available...do the math. Not that this helps prove my point, but it amazes me that Austin Wilson remains a commit with all the anointing that has been given to Zack Allen - who very well may be the next big thing or could be another Johnny Miller -- it's a crap shoot. The fans that have visions of sugar plum recruits dancing in the end zone before touching a football at the college level are the most laughable of all. There is potential, then there is reality. In reality, had Ashton Broyld not touched a football this year, this team would have done exactly what it did. You caught glimpses of what potential he has, but he didn't transform in to this game changing playmaker this season -- next year may very well be a different story, THAT, more than anything is the essence of college football.

4. Speaking of syracuse.com -- the powers that be that run their website really should invest in mods to clean up the drivel in the comments section over there. That place is 1000 times worse than the worst of posts made here and cannot help in recruiting quality players to this program.

5. Coach Shafer is going to keep this program going forward in the right direction. His players love him, his recruits love him - he's a players coach that had not this move been made would have left in the next year or two to take an HC position elsewhere. The program is in better hands than if the school went out and got a higher profile coach that wasn't familiar with the Northeast, the community, and the program.

In the end, you've got a good team, a good coaching staff, and as you saw this year, you are prepared to challenge for an ACC championship from the moment league play starts next season. my lasting advice is to ask you to consider, before hitting enter on your comments in the future, is to ask yourself -- "if I say this in the heat of the moment, am I hurting the school that I love?"

Take care and best of luck in the future! :)
good stuff Sean and so glad to hear of your perspective re Shafer. Couldn't agree more. And hey there's no reason for you not to be a regular on here again! Would love your perspective on things going forward, as well as to give us updates on you know who ;)

Happy new year bro!

I agree 100% with the Wilson/Allen thing too. I just get a feeling that there is no way Allen can live up to the hype and that Wilson is a lot better than many think. They both sound like two good talented kids coming to the Cuse to win QB1.

For the powers to be when it comes to Syracuse.com they want hits and they get more hits when some dumbass posts crap (think cowherd) and they get more volume. Seriously, post a decent thread and it sits alone, post something annoying and the hits keep coming.

They are so short-sighted. For instance, you can read a thread without clicking on each link. It's stupid stuff like that that makes their site so crappy. It's all about hit count.

Arrundal was Lemons dad right? I always wondered how he would handle posting here when his kid started playing.

Regarding all the stuff about recruits, I'll just say this. I know some, say that the criticism isnt warranted, that they are kids, but honestly, we cant just pretend its all rainbows and puppy dogs right? I mean if a kid drops a big catch, he dropped a big catch. Obviously he didnt drop it on purpose, but he did drop it. Your going to get slack for it on an "Anonymous" fan message board. EVERY SCHOOL is like this.

I mean, when I buy a car, I check reviews. When I buy something on Amazon, i check the reviews. There will ALWAYS be bad reviews. Sometimes I buy anyway. Not sure why some fans offering opinions on a site is any different. In addition, a LOT of recruits make the recruiting process a spectacle. Interviews every day, different top schools every week, tweeting cryptic info to gain followers. They love the attention. Huge signing day presentations etc. You are in the spotlight. If you want the good, you better be prepared to be thick skinned and take the bad.

I actually got home in time for the Ebo announcement. I put it on for about 5 min, before it happened. The kid had a huge circus about why he chose "The University of Clemson". To me, some of the criticism here was warranted. Most of what he said made ZERO sense. It was just not logical. How can syracusefan.com be blamed for the criticism. Nothing he said made sense. Are we to pretend that what he said made sense?

Ultimately, who cares, its a message board with opinions of less than 5% of the fanbase :)

If recruits read Syracuse.com they wouldn't come here. Every kid we land gets torn apart by the one idiot under 10 different usernames that has nothing better to do with his life

While I agree in general about considering that recruits will read what you're posting, every board at every school gets a little nuts from time to time (some more than others). I couldn't find an Alabama game thread at their sites (full of congrats and trash talk from other schools), but I bet you'd see some critical postings. I did find a thread where someone asks a general question about decommits, then someone else speculates on who it might be, followed by a slew of posts criticizing that player and his possible rationales.

I'd expect any recruits scoping message boards will find outrageous comments everywhere and should become quickly immune to it. Fanboard butthurt is a convenient scrapegoat when someone doesnt' want to say the real reason they are going elsewhere.

If recruits read Syracuse.com they wouldn't come here. Every kid we land gets torn apart by the one idiot under 10 different usernames that has nothing better to do with his life

You mean that jack hole FLASTEVE to bad there is not a way to permanently ban him from posting on any article ever.

Arundel?

nope...

but here's my idea

1.) you make one bad post about a recruit get banned for 24 hours

2.) make two bad posts about recruits,get banned for a week.

3.) make 3 and it's a month and so on.

nope...

but here's my idea

1.) you make one bad post about a recruit get banned for 24 hours

2.) make two bad posts about recruits,get banned for a week.

3.) make 3 and it's a month and so on.
The comments should be linked to Facebook like other sites so people can't anonymously talk trash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The comments should be linked to Facebook like other sites so people can't anonymously talk trash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe we should be like the Well and require everyone to use their real names.

Arrundal was Lemons dad right? I always wondered how he would handle posting here when his kid started playing.

Regarding all the stuff about recruits, I'll just say this. I know some, say that the criticism isnt warranted, that they are kids, but honestly, we cant just pretend its all rainbows and puppy dogs right? I mean if a kid drops a big catch, he dropped a big catch. Obviously he didnt drop it on purpose, but he did drop it. Your going to get slack for it on an "Anonymous" fan message board. EVERY SCHOOL is like this.

I mean, when I buy a car, I check reviews. When I buy something on Amazon, i check the reviews. There will ALWAYS be bad reviews. Sometimes I buy anyway. Not sure why some fans offering opinions on a site is any different. In addition, a LOT of recruits make the recruiting process a spectacle. Interviews every day, different top schools every week, tweeting cryptic info to gain followers. They love the attention. Huge signing day presentations etc. You are in the spotlight. If you want the good, you better be prepared to be thick skinned and take the bad.

I actually got home in time for the Ebo announcement. I put it on for about 5 min, before it happened. The kid had a huge circus about why he chose "The University of Clemson". To me, some of the criticism here was warranted. Most of what he said made ZERO sense. It was just not logical. How can syracusefan.com be blamed for the criticism. Nothing he said made sense. Are we to pretend that what he said made sense?

Ultimately, who cares, its a message board with opinions of less than 5% of the fanbase :)

I think the most important message in that "circus" is that he chose Clemson, after that as you said "who cares"?

You mean that jack hole FLASTEVE to bad there is not a way to permanently ban him from posting on any article ever.
Haha! It's funny how infamous he is. I haven't seen that name over there in a while. I wonder what he goes by now.

I agreed with all of that until the PS said Marrone was taking Hackett.

Lets burn this bitch down!!

I agreed with all of that until the PS said Marrone was taking Hackett.

Lets burn this bitch down!!
Yeah, best advice for people actually in the program or considering joining is to STAY AWAY right now. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom