Thoughts from watching other teams | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts from watching other teams

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Went to see the UVM vs UNH men's hoop game last night. UVM prevailed in what had been a back and forth kind of night.

First, the presence of kids in their 5th and 6th years of college changes things. The leading scorer for the night was Benny Shungu, a local product who won a couple state titles at Rice Memorial, a Catholic HS that absolutely gives kids scholarships to play there. Yes, I'm bitter because my kid's team lost to them in the semis two years ago, and in the finals last year. Anyway, Ben was a walk-on at UVM and is now one of the starting guards, playing mostly as PG, but switches to SG when one of the backups comes in. The UVM starting 5 is comprised of 3 seniors, 1 5th year, and Shungu, who is listed as a grad student because this is his 6th year of college.

The UVM team has 17 players listed, and I think 15 of them dressed last night. The remainder of the kids that played last night were a redshirt sophomore, a senior, and a junior. Becker has been successful getting kids to transfer in and make an impact, including 2 of his starters this year, and two other players who get time regularly.

Becker really only played 8 last night with 2 other kids getting 1 and 2 minutes apiece. But of the starters, one went for 35 (their center), one went for 30, and the leading scorer Shungu went for 31 and scored 29 points.

I often forget when watching on TV just how physical D1 hoops is, even at this level. Tough man to man defense by both squads. These kids banged all night, and the crowd was less than enthusiastic about some of the calls. It's amazing what a home team offensive player can get away with using his shoulders and elbow and how many touch fouls a big guy gets hit with on the defensive end if they break the vertical plane with their arms while getting hammered in the chest.

Anyway, this is not a post to get Becker to come here. I think he's a stop or two away from a big time job like SU, if he ever gets the nod at all.

And yes, I was rooting for UNH since my son goes there.

Went to see the UVM vs UNH men's hoop game last night. UVM prevailed in what had been a back and forth kind of night.

First, the presence of kids in their 5th and 6th years of college changes things. The leading scorer for the night was Benny Shungu, a local product who won a couple state titles at Rice Memorial, a Catholic HS that absolutely gives kids scholarships to play there. Yes, I'm bitter because my kid's team lost to them in the semis two years ago, and in the finals last year. Anyway, Ben was a walk-on at UVM and is now one of the starting guards, playing mostly as PG, but switches to SG when one of the backups comes in. The UVM starting 5 is comprised of 3 seniors, 1 5th year, and Shungu, who is listed as a grad student because this is his 6th year of college.

The UVM team has 17 players listed, and I think 15 of them dressed last night. The remainder of the kids that played last night were a redshirt sophomore, a senior, and a junior. Becker has been successful getting kids to transfer in and make an impact, including 2 of his starters this year, and two other players who get time regularly.

Becker really only played 8 last night with 2 other kids getting 1 and 2 minutes apiece. But of the starters, one went for 35 (their center), one went for 30, and the leading scorer Shungu went for 31 and scored 29 points.

I often forget when watching on TV just how physical D1 hoops is, even at this level. Tough man to man defense by both squads. These kids banged all night, and the crowd was less than enthusiastic about some of the calls. It's amazing what a home team offensive player can get away with using his shoulders and elbow and how many touch fouls a big guy gets hit with on the defensive end if they break the vertical plane with their arms while getting hammered in the chest.

Anyway, this is not a post to get Becker to come here. I think he's a stop or two away from a big time job like SU, if he ever gets the nod at all.

And yes, I was rooting for UNH since my son goes there.
I was at the UVM gym for a game like 10 or 12 years ago. Nothing pretty about the gym, more like a HS or D2 or D3, but you are right on top of the action. You can hear everything so you really get a feel for the coaching and like you say the physical action. And for anyone who hasn't watched MAAC or America East up close there are some great athletes.

I was at the UVM gym for a game like 10 or 12 years ago. Nothing pretty about the gym, more like a HS or D2 or D3, but you are right on top of the action. You can hear everything so you really get a feel for the coaching and like you say the physical action. And for anyone who hasn't watched MAAC or America East up close there are some great athletes.
Yeah, we are definitely ready for the upgrade of the gym up here. And spot on about the athletes. Some of these kids can fly. And are built like men. My wife and I always hoped our boy would play at the next level, but he's still a little kid compared to these guys. The big scorer for UNH is a chubby looking dude like we've all played with. 6'5" and 250. The center is 6'11" and 245. Ha.

Yeah, we are definitely ready for the upgrade of the gym up here. And spot on about the athletes. Some of these kids can fly. And are built like men. My wife and I always hoped our boy would play at the next level, but he's still a little kid compared to these guys. The big scorer for UNH is a chubby looking dude like we've all played with. 6'5" and 250. The center is 6'11" and 245. Ha.
UVM could become a very high(no pun intended regarding Burlington) mid-major if they dedicated some significant resources to upgrading the facilities.

The big scorer for UNH is a chubby looking dude like we've all played with. 6'5" and 250.
Is he the guy who stands still at the 3 line on the wing and takes a set shot every time the ball comes to him and then casually strolls back on D while both teams run past him? Or is he the guy who stands on the low block and lowers his shoulder into the defender, knocking him backwards and opening up the easy layup (then casually strolls back on D)?
Either way, he wears at least one neoprene wrap either on a knee or elbow. Oh, and he calls a foul every time someone so much as brushes against him.

UVM could become a very high(no pun intended regarding Burlington) mid-major if they dedicated some significant resources to upgrading the facilities.
You mean like this?

Currently on hold, but expected to begin construction this year I believe. This is what it will look like. You're not wrong though, with these upgrades, UVM will continue to make steps toward higher success. They are already bringing in transfers from other decent schools due to their reputation in other 'high profile games' that shall remain nameless.

1641566721084.png

Is he the guy who stands still at the 3 line on the wing and takes a set shot every time the ball comes to him and then casually strolls back on D while both teams run past him? Or is he the guy who stands on the low block and lowers his shoulder into the defender, knocking him backwards and opening up the easy layup (then casually strolls back on D)?
He literally did both of those things last night. Successfully. The 6' (if he's standing on a telephone book) kid who weighs 160 pounds who got switched to him had NO SHOT of defending him.

He's also the guy who can play defense, but doesn't always "choose" to do so.

You mean like this?

Currently on hold, but expected to begin construction this year I believe. This is what it will look like. You're not wrong though, with these upgrades, UVM will continue to make steps toward higher success. They are already bringing in transfers from other decent schools due to their reputation in other 'high profile games' that shall remain nameless.

View attachment 212507
What's IDX, a bong manufacturer?

Sports in VT are not viewed like they are in other states. They are truly extra-curricular. Also, the long-time rivalries and associations have a high intrinsic value. I don't think UVM is really interested in investing too much in a never-ending capital drain that is higher level sports.

Sports in VT are not viewed like they are in other states. They are truly extra-curricular. Also, the long-time rivalries and associations have a high intrinsic value. I don't think UVM is really interested in investing too much in a never-ending capital drain that is higher level sports.
That's probably true for everything except UVM hockey and basketball.

That's probably true for everything except UVM hockey and basketball.
Hockey is a different ballgame (heck, it isn't even a ball game). I suppose they might try to move hoops to a stronger conference, but I don't think the Vermont legislature will put money towards facilities upgrades to do so. It will have to come from private donors. I suspect the pool of donors for UVM sports is pretty small.

I’ve been on the John Becker train for a while. I think he would do wonderful here. Always has a really good defense. He is a winner. 70% winning percentage overall and 83% in conference.

He doesn’t drum up much excitement and not sure how he would do in recruiting on a more national scale. But I think he would be a very solid coach.

Everyone there is too high to notice? or skiing

Hockey is a different ballgame (heck, it isn't even a ball game). I suppose they might try to move hoops to a stronger conference, but I don't think the Vermont legislature will put money towards facilities upgrades to do so. It will have to come from private donors. I suspect the pool of donors for UVM sports is pretty small.
They've already approved it once. That got held back, but it's expected again. The article I posted showed that Rich Tarrant already gave 15 million toward the 95 they are looking for. We've got plenty of former NHL players (two of whom live in my little neighborhood) that went through UVM and are willing to pony up some cash. Heck, Marty St. Louis hangs out with next door neighbor (stays with him when he's in town too) and I'm sure he'll donate as well. That's why they are working on the hockey stadium already.

They've already approved it once. That got held back, but it's expected again. The article I posted showed that Rich Tarrant already gave 15 million toward the 95 they are looking for. We've got plenty of former NHL players (two of whom live in my little neighborhood) that went through UVM and are willing to pony up some cash. Heck, Marty St. Louis hangs out with next door neighbor (stays with him when he's in town too) and I'm sure he'll donate as well. That's why they are working on the hockey stadium already.
What about Bernie, he has those campaign donations from his pres runs.

...It's amazing what a home team offensive player can get away with using his shoulders and elbow and how many touch fouls a big guy gets hit with on the defensive end if they break the vertical plane with their arms while getting hammered in the chest.

Definitely an underrated contributing factor to basketball becoming less pleasant to watch in the last 20 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom