Thoughts: HC SCHAFER - Just watched his Press Conference | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts: HC SCHAFER - Just watched his Press Conference

nralecuse

Walk On
Can't put my finger on it but this press conference is different from what we got with HCDM or GROB in some very fundamental way. HCSS seems to be saying the same kind of things as all HC's would do today, but there is something different. Is it real passion? The other guys always seemed to be hedging there bets, trying to not get to far out on a limb and perhaps just looking out for number one. HCSS strikes me as someone who is 'fearless'. Apparently; he thinks what he thinks and says what he says and he doesn't care what others opine or how they might react. It seems his attitude might be paraphrased something like the following: "I finally got my chance. I'm doing it my way and if I go down at least I won't have any regrets." "Hell they are paying me huge dollars for this !" (He actually said something like this.) It's like; 'What's the worst that can happen here? I get fired ? So what? "No big deal, it could (and has been) worse."
He is either going to hit a homerun - maybe even a grandslam, or he is going to crash and burn spectacularly. He doesn't seem like a middle ground personality.
I sure hope it is the first option.

GO ORANGE !

is the presser online anywhere? I know I can check, but is almost quitting time, and I gotta make it look like I did work today

Can't put my finger on it but this press conference is different from what we got with HCDM or GROB in some very fundamental way. GO ORANGE !
I really liked the way FHCDM came across at first. He was fired up and telling us he was just like one of us. But the position of head coach is a real pressure cooker. He seemed to grow aloof as he went along - no longer enjoying the communications part of the job. I feel really bad the way it ended with him - it feels kind of like a divorce. Does he even enjoy being a Syracuse alum anymore?
HCSS is more of a heart on his sleeve kind of guy. Right now he exudes enthusiasm in his communications with us. I hope that doesn't change.

I think Shafer may prove to be a far more inspiring coach and leader of young men than Doug was. I thought Doug was a good coach and a good manager. Managers don't inspire greatness, leaders do. P, G-Rob and Doug were all less than compelling as motivational speakers/leaders. I hope Scott's abilities match his fire and emotion. I think SU football is in good hands.

I really liked the way FHCDM came across at first. He was fired up and telling us he was just like one of us. But the position of head coach is a real pressure cooker. He seemed to grow aloof as he went along - no longer enjoying the communications part of the job. I feel really bad the way it ended with him - it feels kind of like a divorce. Does he even enjoy being a Syracuse alum anymore?
HCSS is more of a heart on his sleeve kind of guy. Right now he exudes enthusiasm in his communications with us. I hope that doesn't change.

This is spot on. I think FHCDM lost his fire somewhere for college, SU or both.

Great post

I have a feeling that the Cuse has the right guy to lead us into the ACC.

HCSS fires my butt up...

His press conferences could be fun. Doug's had ceased to be fun.

It will be interesting to see what SS is like when things aren't going well or when a reporter has said something he didn't like.

I think we've got a home run hitter.

I feel bad for the kids who backed out and won't have a chance to play for a person as real as Scott Shafer.

Thought what he said about the long relationships those players had with Syracuse hit the nail on the head.

Wish them well but as I said I think they missed out on playing for a great coach

I love Shafer, but I'm chuckling because people were gushing over Marrone's press conferences his first couple years here. And now it's "He's not a leader, not inspiring, press conferences were boring" etc.

Fans are funny.

I love Shafer, but I'm chuckling because people were gushing over Marrone's press conferences his first couple years here. And now it's "He's not a leader, not inspiring, press conferences were boring" etc.

Fans are funny.

Well now we have someone to compare him to. Marrone had the luxury of following Grob. Anybody is going to look like a press conference star following someone who used to read us children's books at his.

In all seriousness, Marrone seemed like a fine leader, but looking back at his pressers, they certainly got more boring over the years.

Fans are funny.

I think it started out that way and then slowly got ho-hum. SS won't become that - I don't think he can. Too much fire.

Well now we have someone to compare him to. Marrone had the luxury of following Grob. Anybody is going to look like a press conference star following someone who used to read us children's books at his.

In all seriousness, Marrone seemed like a fine leader, but looking back at his pressers, they certainly got more boring over the years.

Is there any evidence of a correlation between press conference performance and coaching performance?

Take a snap shot of Shaf now so we can compare it to what he looks like 4 years from now. Doug looked like a beaten down dog 4 years later.

Liked the press though. Obviously everything is roses now but I really believe with the group of guys Shafer has assembled, when the going does get tough things will be ok. These guys are truly brothers and the stronger the bond is within that team the easier it is to conquer adversity.

Really liked a couple of the candid moments in that press conference. I forgot the actual quote but when he said the word "ass" I thought that's awesome, he's not afraid to tell it like it is.

WOUR played a clip of GRob reciting the little engine that could yesterday morning. I swear to all that is holy I almost jerked my car into oncoming traffic to hurt somebody. Anybody.y driving by me must've thought I was nuts because I literally went on a 10-minute vocalized tirade in my car against Greggers. Took a program like Syracuse and likened it to the little engine that could, I swear to Christ if he was in front of me right now I'd punch his teeth through the back of his head. Holy $# nothing fires me up like that man. Getting smoked by Akron in theDome, wts.

Anyway, sorry bout that. Thank God for the Marrone and Schaffer press conferences compared to that. I swear I'd punch him right in the face.

WOUR played a clip of GRob reciting the little engine that could yesterday morning. I swear to all that is holy I almost jerked my car into oncoming traffic to hurt somebody. Anybody.y driving by me must've thought I was nuts because I literally went on a 10-minute vocalized tirade in my car against Greggers. Took a program like Syracuse and likened it to the little engine that could, I swear to Christ if he was in front of me right now I'd punch his teeth through the back of his head. Holy $# nothing fires me up like that man. Getting smoked by Akron in theDome, wts.

Anyway, sorry bout that. Thank God for the Marrone and Schaffer press conferences compared to that. I swear I'd punch him right in the face.
Check your pulse if it's anywhere near 130 bpm you could have a heart attack or stroke.

Calm thoughts, in HCSS we trust!

Breath in, breath out.

I think it started out that way and then slowly got ho-hum. SS won't become that - I don't think he can. Too much fire.

Only time will tell I guess, but I somewhat agree. Really, up until we turned things around mid season, Doug's on field demeanor and enthusiasm was routinely questioned. Interestingly, when he went through his mid-season metamorphosis the kids reacted positively & the results showed on the field. But, he is who is is and just like his 'dream job' facade bs, his personality isn't really this and is why, imo, his state of being is more suited for the NFL.

It will be interesting to see what SS is like when things aren't going well or when a reporter has said something he didn't like.

The first question by Bud didn't exactly thrill Scott. Thought his fiery response was great. Didn't demean Bud directly, but certainly shut him up good.

Hopefully the PC police won't wear him down. There were letters to the editor about his "...make the opponents' families cringe when their child is about to get hit" comment. I can only imagine the feedback he gets through other channels, especially if/when he makes a comment that goes viral (should we start a pool on when the first F-bomb is dropped in a presser?).

I absolutely love that he isn't a polished public speaker and don't want to see the experts in that field on campus butting in with pointers.

I don't think he liked the way Malik Brown announced his decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom