Thoughts on Navy | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Navy

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Going to try an get a post up regarding the Cornell and UNC games later this week. Let me just say two big wins (critical really) and the team really looked like it has the potential to make a deep tourney run. There are of course a few concerns that I will get into more on this and the other thread but the team and the staff have done an outstanding job of turning it around from that god awful Colgate loss.

As for the Navy game I have a few thoughts.

Thought last year SU was in great position to win a game they played poorly for large stretches until a series of unfortunate events caused us to blow a goal lead with under a min left and come out with the loss. Something you don't often see happen to Syracuse, in most cases its usually SU who finds a way to win that type of game. Anyway this years Navy team is mcuh different then last years. Gone are Rees, the big attackmen Ray, their Varello and multiple D stalwarts. As such Navy has struggled after a 2-0 start losing big to pretty much every team with a pulse. They lost 14-9 to Maryland, 19-11 to Princeton, 18-5 to Loyola, 15-8 to Lehigh and 12-9 to Holy Cross. They also lost Saturday 9-8 to Army despite a heck of a second half comeback where the Navy goalie Kern played out of his mind.

Navy as a team has issues all over the place. Their defense which was pretty good last year has been a disaster this year. As you can see by the scores I listed above Princeton and Loyola nearly cracked 20 and Lehigh put up 15. Maryland apparently could have gotten that many as well but took their foot off the gas at they were up huge in the 1st half. Honestly the SU offense has played well over this last 3 or 4 games stretch since the first half of the ND game but hasn't exactly been lighting up like you would hope with all the extra possesions (SU has taken their foot of the gas in the 4th quarter the last few games). That said I can't see any reason SU can't get to 14 or 15 goals here unless we have just an abysmal performance. Navy played some zone last year I believe against us and I think is likely to try it again and will try and pack everything in tight ala Duke and ND. Kern is a pretty good goalie who gave SU some trouble last year. That aid the D in front of him has left him hung out to dry a lot this year and the fact he has a save % of 54% is quite impressive as he has seen 439 shots so far this year.

At the X with the loss of Varello Navy has struggled. Their main guy is Nick Barry who is just under 50% on the year (.495). There isn't much in the way of depth as the two backups while each over 50% have taken 43 and 21 draw respectively. This is an area where SU should at least on paper have a potentially signficant advantage. Even moreso when you consider Phaup is coming off the worst game of the season and probably not in a great mood.

Offensively Navy's lack of production is surprising. While they did lose some solid players they have a good trio of scorers in Ryan Wade (M 40pts), Gresyon Torrain (M 31 pts) and Christian Daniel (Attack 35 pts). Nick Cole a Frosh attack rounds out the top 4 with 24 pts. I believe SU handled Wade for the most part (finished 1 and 1) but SU had no real answer for Jack Ray who had 4 goals and Torrain (3 goals) whose speed was a major issue. This year while the 3 main guys are having good seasons number wise it hasn't translated onto the scoreboard as they are averaging 10.5 goals and didn't exceed 10 goals against any of their top 20 opponents, though they did have 9 against Maryland and 11 against Princeton. For Syracuse I think they will look to double pole the midfield like we did last year for some of the game. I also think a zone is possible as Navy really struggles to shoot the ball and is a very methodical (slow) offense. I wouldn't be surprised if SU double polled the midfield as I noted and put Mellen on Wade and let some combo of Fusco/Fernandez and Kennedy (my choice) try to slow down Torain. That puts Cunningham or Bomberry on Christian Daniel (likely Cunningham) and then I think a SSDM like Dearth or Bomberry on Nick Cole who is listed at 5'8 and may struggle with Dearth or Bomberry's size. SU could simply put Bomberry on the other attackmen who is listed at 6 feet but Tyson played Nicky Solomon most of last Sat and save for 1 goal he pretty much shut him down. I would have to go back and watch the tape from last year but I thought SU did double pole the midfield at times but I can't recall the individual matchups beyond Bomberry on Ray.

To me this is a game that if SU plays like it has been should go similar to Cornell but as we all know games are not played on paper. SU has a tendency to struggle with the academy teams (specifically Army) but this Navy team doesn't have the hallmark of Army despite their close score last week. Kern Navy's goalie is good but when you look at what they have given up to the better offenses they have face, they have been torched. Defensively SU is playing its best of the season by far over this last three game stretch pretty much shutting down Hobart and Cornell and locking down UNC in the second half. Still there are some concerns I went back and looked a little bit at least years game and SU got off to a slow start both halves (shocking I know) and struggled a lot with turnovers in the second half (14 total). Rehfuss had a big game (7pts) and the entire attack really played well. The midfield much less so as Trimbo was held scoreless and Curry/Dordevic only had 1 goal each. Varello save for the last half of the fourth quarter pretty much held his own at the X against his brother until he faded late.

Again if SU simply plays even remotely close the way it has been since the Hobart this a game it should win going away. Porter and the D have been absolutely locked in. Mellen, Bomberry and the SSDM's especially have been lights out, ditto for Cunningham who shut down Piatelli against Cornell and Jacob Kelly on Sat. The concern would be if SU comes out and is lethargic with a slow start and is turning the ball over again. We had been better against Hobart and the big Red but had 17 against UNC which is way to much, that needs to be halved. I thought SU was surprised by Navy last year who pushed tempo more then they had last year and tried to score on SU before they could set up defensively. When it was 6 on 6 SU more then held their own on most possessions. Would really like to see SU come out and go on an early run and kind of put this game away ala Colgate last year and the second half of the Hobart game. This would also be a great game to get Trimbo and Curry back on track after they were held to 1 goal combined against the Heels and Trimbo has only 1 pt in his last two games. The attack is on a tear recently and really hurt Navy last year, wouldn't mind seeing them keep it up and allow guys like Curry, Quinn and Magnan and even Seebold to get on the score sheet.

Super report, Jeremy. I note that, this year, Cuse has beaten all the teams that beat them last year (and lost to some they didn't lose to last year) except Navy. I've jokingly called it the 2019 Revenge Tour. It would be nice to put a bow on the Revenge Tour down at Annapolis.

A few other quick things I failed to mentioned. Navy's offense struggles mightily with turnovers. They are averaging 18+ on the year and had 22 against Army. SU has been ultra aggressive in riding and trying to force turnovers then I have seen in years and we should be able to make some Hay here. Navy is also pretty bad in the clearing game, clearing under 80% on the year while SU is at 87%. That said Army had 6 failed clears against Navy and the midshipmen have held opponents to a 72% clearing percentage on the year which is outstanding. SU has been good here for the most part but has had games ie Cornell and ND where it became a major issue. Going to need to be careful here.

This would also be a great game to get the man up unit back on track after its scuffled a bit the last two games. Navy is not great on man down allowing 15 goals on 32 attempts and struggles when its on man up 9-28 (32%). Again these are areas that on Paper SU should have a sizeable advantage and needs to do so. This game is a lot like Hobart in that if SU outplays Navy where they have an advantage (and in some cases a sizeable one) its hard to see how they lose the game. You can't control everything but winning the matchups that favor you when your the favorite to begin with goes along way.

Super report, Jeremy. I note that, this year, Cuse has beaten all the teams that beat them last year (and lost to some they didn't lose to last year) except Navy. I've jokingly called it the 2019 Revenge Tour. It would be nice to put a bow on the Revenge Tour down at Annapolis.

I agree, I thought the Albany, Hobart and Cornell games were outstanding performances and really allowed SU to kind of play a slow stall ball 4th quarter and get a comfortable win. Based on how SU has played this year in these types of games I am not overly worried about this matchup as I might have been last year or a few years ago (though certainly as the Colgate game showed SU can't simply show up and go through the motions). My only real concerns are turnovers, general sloppy play which really haunted SU last year and has reared its head a few times this season and really a poor offensive performance. I think it would take a combo of a really slow start, bad offense, an off day for the D and turnovers in the high teens to get SU into disastrous trouble. The attack is playing at such a high level right now between Rehfuss and Solomon especially that the concern would be that they cool off a bit and the starting midfield continues its OK but kind of sluggish performances. The offense not getting 2-3 goals more per game in the Cornell and UNC games were really the only downside and some of that was SU taking its foot off the gas in both games. I also think SU having lost and lost really in a brutal way to Navy last year will help them from looking past them (at least I think it will).

Nice write up Jeremy. I was fortunate to be able to attend the game this past weekend and I will say to others out there, if you can attend an Army/Navy game it's a pretty cool experience. Of the mental notes I made during the game Jeremy you hit on most all of them. Starting at the face off Navy did well against Army, but when I looked up their stats I saw they're below 50%. On offense they have a few solid players, (Wade and Torain and then #17 who I thought looked good). Army was double poling the midfield and like you said perhaps Cuse does the same this week. I think you put Mellon on #17 and pole Torain and honestly the shorties have done well this season I think they can hold their own against Navy's other middies. Navy did turn the ball over a decent amount. Navy's goalie kept them in the game, Army could have run away with it but he didn't let them so hopefully Syracuse can hit some early and not let him get confident. Like you mentioned on paper everything favors the Orange but still got to play the game. I'm not sure if the heartbreaking loss will affect Navy this week or not, I believe last season they scored an OT win against Army before beating SU.
I'm just excited I get to see the Orange play in person this weekend, probably the only time I will get to this season unless they make it to Championship Weekend fingers crossed!

Good writeup. Emotions play a big part in sports. Navy certainly gets up for Army and one might expect a letdown in the follow vs Cuse but that wasn't the case last year . Only diff being Navy was coming off a win vs Army not a loss. Meanwhile Cuse should have revenge on mind so Im giving emotional edge to Cuse.

Ray and Torrain hurt us last year . Ray has graduated. Mellen is the best m2m cd in game but Torrain's speed in open field gave him some problems. Daniels is very good , recall he played very little last year as he had hamstring issue. Mellen likely marks him while Kennedy and others take Torrain. Playing some zone makes complete sense and likely in the game plan.

Coming into season the worries were about fogo, goalie and ssdm's. All have gone from questions to strengths. It was great to see Varello's physicality, energy and quick exits. Just reaffirmed that we have a two headed monster with him and Phaup. Porter has been superb and getting better especially on low shots. Like to see him kick out some quicker passes upfield but he is everything hoped for and more. Dearth is a stud and Helmer is close behind. Barlow quietly doing solid. Navy had advantage in these areas last year but that has flipped.
Cuse offense may not click from start but they can pepper and break the best goalies. Refhus appears to be back for good. Solomon and Voigt are having great senior years . Trimboli had a long stretch of multiple goal games so now getting much attention which helps opens field for others. Curry may have a low shooting percentage but he's lethal and draws and opens field as well. One of our X factors who pressures D's. want him to keep firing away . Same with Lipka and Buttermore who can rip from either side and various shot angles. Ball has been moving great despite some sloppy drops.
Liked the greater usage of Carlin as well as the use of Seebold , Quinn and Small in UNC game . . Depth is to our advantage and boxscores doesn't reflect all. Keeping legs fresh and prepping some at this stage makes sense.
Cuse appears to be in as an at large but a win cements. Im always leery of every opponent but believe Cuse squad has matured and understands Navy is capable of upsetting them. That is half the battle.

if/when you can pole torain and wade, daniel and cole will need the other 2. they're young but playing with confidence, are quick and know their way around dodging at x and the island, and will roast shorties. navy rotates a 3rd att.

won't matter if navy is as careless with the ball as they have been.

if/when you can pole torain and wade, daniel and cole will need the other 2. they're young but playing with confidence, are quick and know their way around dodging at x and the island, and will roast shorties. navy rotates a 3rd att.

won't matter if navy is as careless with the ball as they have been.

SU is definitely going to pole both Daniel and Cole. If they put Mellen on Wade I suspect Bomberrya and Cunningham will be assigned Daniel and Cole just not sure of the exact matchup. SU may also choose to play Kennedy up top with Fusco in double polling and pul Mellen on Daniel and probably Cunningham and Bomberry rotating in on Cole. Not disagreeing with you that they have a dangerous offense but they havent' exceeded 9 goals against any top 20 opponent this year.

Good writeup. Emotions play a big part in sports. Navy certainly gets up for Army and one might expect a letdown in the follow vs Cuse but that wasn't the case last year . Only diff being Navy was coming off a win vs Army not a loss. Meanwhile Cuse should have revenge on mind so Im giving emotional edge to Cuse.

Ray and Torrain hurt us last year . Ray has graduated. Mellen is the best m2m cd in game but Torrain's speed in open field gave him some problems. Daniels is very good , recall he played very little last year as he had hamstring issue. Mellen likely marks him while Kennedy and others take Torrain. Playing some zone makes complete sense and likely in the game plan.

Coming into season the worries were about fogo, goalie and ssdm's. All have gone from questions to strengths. It was great to see Varello's physicality, energy and quick exits. Just reaffirmed that we have a two headed monster with him and Phaup. Porter has been superb and getting better especially on low shots. Like to see him kick out some quicker passes upfield but he is everything hoped for and more. Dearth is a stud and Helmer is close behind. Barlow quietly doing solid. Navy had advantage in these areas last year but that has flipped.
Cuse offense may not click from start but they can pepper and break the best goalies. Refhus appears to be back for good. Solomon and Voigt are having great senior years . Trimboli had a long stretch of multiple goal games so now getting much attention which helps opens field for others. Curry may have a low shooting percentage but he's lethal and draws and opens field as well. One of our X factors who pressures D's. want him to keep firing away . Same with Lipka and Buttermore who can rip from either side and various shot angles. Ball has been moving great despite some sloppy drops.
Liked the greater usage of Carlin as well as the use of Seebold , Quinn and Small in UNC game . . Depth is to our advantage and boxscores doesn't reflect all. Keeping legs fresh and prepping some at this stage makes sense.
Cuse appears to be in as an at large but a win cements. Im always leery of every opponent but believe Cuse squad has matured and understands Navy is capable of upsetting them. That is half the battle.

Did SU put Mellen on Torrain last year? I don't remember that but you could be correct. Thats a tough matchup for Mellen with Torrain's speed. I think you have to go Fusco or Kennedy there or even Fernandez who when 100% has the speed to keep up.

Good point. That stat is strange since capability is there. Hopefully does not change . I do expect us to hit double digits

Did SU put Mellen on Torrain last year? I don't remember that but you could be correct. Thats a tough matchup for Mellen with Torrain's speed. I think you have to go Fusco or Kennedy there or even Fernandez who when 100% has the speed to keep up.

Yes, Mellen was on Torrian last year, I don't think it went well for him. I remember once sequence in which Torrian took Mellen up top and swept to his right, Mellen just couldn't keep up. Not his fault, he's a close defender and that's just not his game. I think he has improved tremendously since last year (and last he was very, very good), but I would keep Mellen down low.

Yes, Mellen was on Torrian last year, I don't think it went well for him. I remember once sequence in which Torrian took Mellen up top and swept to his right, Mellen just couldn't keep up. Not his fault, he's a close defender and that's just not his game. I think he has improved tremendously since last year (and last he was very, very good), but I would keep Mellen down low.

I trust Kennedy on Torrain. Rarely has he been beaten strait up on the dodge this year. Costabile got him one time in the 1st quarter of the ND game but he didn't score against him off the dodge again after that. I think an Army guy got a low angle shot to go against him as well. I have seen a couple questionable choices on slides/ in transition but he has done an excellent job overall. Same with Fernandez.

Good post Jeremy and thanks for getting things started. I think this will be a good test for the Orange. I know Navy's season is pretty much over and they are probably disappointed to lose to their biggest rival in OT, but I can't imagine they will take this game off. This matchup should serve the Orange better than the Colgate game last year, which of course they won big but maybe didn't do much for them long term. Navy should come in with a lot of pride. The Orange will have to be ready to deal with a lot of emotion. The midshipmen will be playing with nothing to lose.

The thing I will be watching most closely will be the performance of Trimboli and Curry - as Jeremy pointed out they seem to be struggling. Trimboli did this last year - started off the year very strong but went into a funk near the end of the year and never pulled himself out of it. He hasn't been playing poorly these last few games, but his stats have suffered. Would like him to shoot the ball better and try and set up his teammates more. Since the Duke game Curry has struggled shooting the ball. Against UNC he did not look himself with some really uncharacteristic turnovers. Plenty of time to get back on track, I just hope he's not hitting some sort of wall - he was counted on big time early in the year and he is often the "party starter" on offense even if he's not generating a lot of points. Ivorytower will point out that both guys are opening up things for other guys, and he's absolutely correct, but for this team to beat the best of the best, they will need big performances from both players.

Good post Jeremy and thanks for getting things started. I think this will be a good test for the Orange. I know Navy's season is pretty much over and they are probably disappointed to lose to their biggest rival in OT, but I can't imagine they will take this game off. This matchup should serve the Orange better than the Colgate game last year, which of course they won big but maybe didn't do much for them long term. Navy should come in with a lot of pride. The Orange will have to be ready to deal with a lot of emotion. The midshipmen will be playing with nothing to lose.

The thing I will be watching most closely will be the performance of Trimboli and Curry - as Jeremy pointed out they seem to be struggling. Trimboli did this last year - started off the year very strong but went into a funk near the end of the year and never pulled himself out of it. He hasn't been playing poorly these last few games, but his stats have suffered. Would like him to shoot the ball better and try and set up his teammates more. Since the Duke game Curry has struggled shooting the ball. Against UNC he did not look himself with some really uncharacteristic turnovers. Plenty of time to get back on track, I just hope he's not hitting some sort of wall - he was counted on big time early in the year and he is often the "party starter" on offense even if he's not generating a lot of points. Ivorytower will point out that both guys are opening up things for other guys, and he's absolutely correct, but for this team to beat the best of the best, they will need big performances from both players.

if those two continue to struggle I would like to see us give some more run to Magnan and mix him in with maybe the first line. Buttermore and Lipka have done a nice job picking up the slack but as you noted if we don't get those two back on track it's only a matter of time before our luck runs out so to speak. I also think it makes sense to give Buttermore some runs with the 1st team guys as well rotating between whoever is struggling that game. they Carlin has had a less then stellar year but finally got a goal last Sat but also had a real bad turnover and some ill timed shots. i am high on Cook but he feels a bit wasted out there at midfield and I woudl rather see him get more run at attack and play a guy like Magnan on the 2nd line. Quinn after a ton of shots in the opener against Colgate (many ill advised) has been awfully quiet in his runs. Navy would be a great time for Cook and others to get back on the score sheet.

Trimboli seems more active then last year when he also struggled down the stretch but as you noted since Hobart has struggled to get goals and assists. I think after all of us screaming to shoot low he's now gone a bit overboard and almost completely abandoned shooting high, needs to fine a good balance. I also think he's been affected by Conrell and UNC double polling the midfield a lot which UNC did even when the 2nd mid line was in. Curry's season right now feels a lot like Doredevic's last year. Awesome start, lots of accolades and good performances that started to slow considerably the later in the season we got. I think Curry needs to be more aggressive. He scored a goal about 4 minutes into the game against UNC and then I think he only took a few more shots the entire game and finished with that one goal. I know the attack is really thriving right now which his likely due to opponents focusing on the midfield but I would like to see him get a little more aggressive and hunt that shot.

if those two continue to struggle I would like to see us give some more run to Magnan and mix him in with maybe the first line. Buttermore and Lipka have done a nice job picking up the slack but as you noted if we don't get those two back on track it's only a matter of time before our luck runs out so to speak. I also think it makes sense to give Buttermore some runs with the 1st team guys as well rotating between whoever is struggling that game. they Carlin has had a less then stellar year but finally got a goal last Sat but also had a real bad turnover and some ill timed shots. i am high on Cook but he feels a bit wasted out there at midfield and I woudl rather see him get more run at attack and play a guy like Magnan on the 2nd line. Quinn after a ton of shots in the opener against Colgate (many ill advised) has been awfully quiet in his runs. Navy would be a great time for Cook and others to get back on the score sheet.

Trimboli seems more active then last year when he also struggled down the stretch but as you noted since Hobart has struggled to get goals and assists. I think after all of us screaming to shoot low he's now gone a bit overboard and almost completely abandoned shooting high, needs to fine a good balance. I also think he's been affected by Conrell and UNC double polling the midfield a lot which UNC did even when the 2nd mid line was in. Curry's season right now feels a lot like Doredevic's last year. Awesome start, lots of accolades and good performances that started to slow considerably the later in the season we got. I think Curry needs to be more aggressive. He scored a goal about 4 minutes into the game against UNC and then I think he only took a few more shots the entire game and finished with that one goal. I know the attack is really thriving right now which his likely due to opponents focusing on the midfield but I would like to see him get a little more aggressive and hunt that shot.

Sorry Jeremy, I disagree about mixing in Magnan with the first line. Yes, Curry and Trimboli are struggling which makes me nervous, but I can't imagine a scenario in which they aren't seeing the most playing time possible. And while Magnan looked great against Hobart, he also had a pretty bad turnover against UNC when he misread a pass then lost the groundball battle that followed. He's still young and I don't think quite ready to take on a huge amount of responsibility, especially with the regular season winding down. I think you just have to hope Curry and Trimboli figure things out for themselves.

I did like the point you made about Buttermore, the offense did look a bit disjointed with both middies getting poled to start the game. I think it was smart of Desko to throw Buttermore in with the first line to create more of a dodging/scoring punch. Buttermore definitely has no fear about shooting. Sometimes that doesn't work out so well (he has maybe too much confidence in his shot from distance, I wish he would try and get a bit closer to the goal before shooting sometimes) but overall its a net positive when he's on the field. I think at the very least its a good counter move if teams want to double pole the midfield. Plus Lipka showed he can still produce by scoring a nice goal off a dodge.

I trust Kennedy on Torrain. Rarely has he been beaten strait up on the dodge this year. Costabile got him one time in the 1st quarter of the ND game but he didn't score against him off the dodge again after that. I think an Army guy got a low angle shot to go against him as well. I have seen a couple questionable choices on slides/ in transition but he has done an excellent job overall. Same with Fernandez.
why not Dearth on Torrain with slide packages. I have watched him several times. He's fast and athletic, but Army tried shorties with him to some effect. I did not see last year's game, but Mellen is always vulnerable on well designed picks near the goal. He loses a step avoiding the pick. Cunningham has saved his bacon many times over the years.

Does anyone know if you can watch a replay of the game on CBS Sports Net online afterwards? I know sometimes the games are posted to Youtube afterwards as well, how long after the game are they usually up? It looks like I'll miss seeing this live. Thanks!

why not Dearth on Torrain with slide packages. I have watched him several times. He's fast and athletic, but Army tried shorties with him to some effect. I did not see last year's game, but Mellen is always vulnerable on well designed picks near the goal. He loses a step avoiding the pick. Cunningham has saved his bacon many times over the years.

I definitely agree with putting Mellen on someone else. He is not as effective when defending the dodge from the top of the key. The couple times he has been beat this year were on dodges from above GLE and at least one with Brad Smith involved a well-timed pick which he sometimes struggles with like you said. Torrain beat him strait up from the top of the key at least once last year. Mellen's real strength is against the slightly undersized but super quick attack that tries to finalize his man all night and break his ankles (exhibit A: Joey Epstein). I'm assuming Navy has a guy somewhat like that on attack who we won't hear much from tomorrow.

Hey guys is anyone going to Annapolis? Beautiful town, one of my favourites in the states!

I'll be there I don't live to far away. Annapolis is great, Navy Stadium is a nice venue!

I definitely agree with putting Mellen on someone else. He is not as effective when defending the dodge from the top of the key. The couple times he has been beat this year were on dodges from above GLE and at least one with Brad Smith involved a well-timed pick which he sometimes struggles with like you said. Torrain beat him strait up from the top of the key at least once last year. Mellen's real strength is against the slightly undersized but super quick attack that tries to finalize his man all night and break his ankles (exhibit A: Joey Epstein). I'm assuming Navy has a guy somewhat like that on attack who we won't hear much from tomorrow.

He will likely take Christian Daniel the top attackmen if Desko/Rogers doesn't put him on Ryan Wade if and when we double pole the midfield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom