Thoughts on New Board | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on New Board

Niastri

Two Time Iggy Award Winner: Edwards for Three!
(Finally, everybody was wondering where Ni was...)

I had been clamoring for a while for a modern forum, with a fully thread based organization of posts.

This board is it. Now, here is the very important trick.

It is critical that people don't create a new thread every time they have a new thought! Most topics can be followed and new thoughts will follow the old thread. Dozens of new threads actually is a barrier to new communication. Mega threads with thousands of posts suck. But dozens of new topics about the same thing is much harder to read.

Before you post, find out if a thread already has the topic before you make a new thread.

WELCOME to the new age, Syracusefan.

Finally, everybody was wondering where Ni was...

Yeah, you nailed it. That is exactly what I was thinking 18 hours before kickoff of the season opener.

Whoops, a complete noob called my bluff.

I bet all the old school guys where sighing in relief I made it over ;)

EDIT 9/1/2011 12:11 AM: Some idiot poster got me angry and I was hostile in my verbiage. I take it back.

I guess we need to be honest in our editing, when we need a take back!

I thought I wouldn't see the helmets, but HERE THEY ARE... COOLNESS !!!

I love the setup the only complaint I have is when a thread goes to multiple pages, it's hard to see the numbers on the bottom to know it has gone to more than 1 page.
Thanks for setting this up gentlemen, Go Orange.

I had been clamoring for a while for a modern forum, with a fully thread based organization of posts.

It is critical that people don't create a new thread every time they have a new thought! Most topics can be followed and new thoughts will follow the old thread. Dozens of new threads actually is a barrier to new communication. Mega threads with thousands of posts suck. But dozens of new topics about the same thing is much harder to read.

Before you post, find out if a thread already has the topic before you make a new thread.

Not gonna happen. in real life, conversations get repeated.

Not gonna happen. in real life, conversations get repeated.

A great Sox board I frequent, Sons of Sam Horn, does a phenomenal job on that. Takes time for people to get it though.

A great Sox board I frequent, Sons of Sam Horn, does a phenomenal job on that. Takes time for people to get it though.
And really, if Red Sox fans can figure it out then pretty much anyone should be able to.

And really, if Red Sox fans can figure it out then pretty much anyone should be able to.

Well, seems like the majority of Orange fans are also Yankees fans, which is why I said it will take a while.

One thing we have going for us now is the search function, which we have never really had before. If you don't know whether someone posted on a topic, use the search to find out. It works well. Take advantage of it.

We as admins can help enforce a policy of no duplicate threads but for it to be successful, it needs to be something everyone is aware of and works together to avoid.

In other words, when someone creates a duplicate thread, don't respond to it and ignore the existing thread. Instead, let the person know they have created a duplicate thread and include a link to the already existing one.

Thank you. It was awful when we had 20 threads on the front page of the scout site all discussing conference expansion.

One thing we have going for us now is the search function, which we have never really had before. If you don't know whether someone posted on a topic, use the search to find out. It works well. Take advantage of it.

Or at least scroll down through the front page.

The admins can just merge them until people take the hint.
Meh

No one ever has anything new to say

everytime someone posts something some nerd is going to yell about how they said it a year ago, why don't you search

everyone will be going all cali bumping ancient threads which we then have to scroll through a million pages to see something that's probably pretty dopey.