Thoughts on Refs last night ? | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Refs last night ?

CsonkaStash

Starter
Being at the game in the student section, of which there was a sweet fight at the end of the game (highlight of the night) I couldn’t see the court that well. How were the refs especially Stephens last night ? Cuse players said we were bullied and it seems contact was not in low supply last night. Were we getting hacked a lot without calls (not that we would have made them).

Just curious on Opinions of refs. Sometimes I feel like the refs hate JBs sarcastic whiny comments more than they would if he yelled. Stephens also seemed to love calling fouls on us and was super animated, especially that bogus charge call

19 fouls called on us, 18 fouls called on them. No complaints, here.

Stephens notoriously calls a lot of fouls. A couple of bad calls for both teams but nothing actually egregious, IMO.

They were bullied in the sense of being outplayed, out-toughed, big-boyed, etc. SU is a soft, finesse team and that UB coach called them out and backed it up.

Stephens calls a lot of fouls. A couple of bad calls for both teams but nothing egregious, IMO.

They were bullied in the sense of being outplayed, out-toughed, big-boyed, etc. SU is a soft, finesse team and that UB coach called them out and backed it up.

No doubt about that especially with the rebound difference. Outworked with everything on the line.

No gripes with the officials at all last night - I thought a couple of the charges early on were wrong, but that's about it. I'm not sure you can just change your defensive path to jump in front of the offensive player at the last second...but last night early it seemed you could.

But, overall, seemed even IMO.

I thought the refs were okay but I did notice a lot more travelling than is usual, mainly the Bulls. Their point had once possession where he caught the ball, rearranged his feet (pretty normal) then took 2 steps backwards. It was one of those "did he really just do that?" things. Had zero impact on the outcome of the game so it really doesn't matter, just seemed strange.

The refs were terrible. Not as bad as the St. bonaventure crew but pretty bad. You don’t get all the replays on tv. In the dome you can see the whole court and you get the replay. I was five rows in. They missed two obvious out of bounds called. Luckily one was overturned. The big guy should have fouled out in the first half. And one of their guards hooked everytime he got the ball. That is the only way he got into the paint. They called him for it once but he pushed off several times. A call on Sid where the replay showed zero contact. Marek got dislodged on a rebound attempt, no call. Chukwu should have got called once but I think he quickly pulled his hands away and got lucky. We had a block or two that looked clean on the replay but who knows what the ref saw. Allowing the body contact while calling cheapies certainly didn’t favor our style. And I don’t know how the foul count has anything to do with how competent the refs were or how fair the game was called.

I've come to conclusion that I never like the referees. I doubt it means that they called the game poorly for us v. the opponent. I think it means I just don't like the way games are called in general these days.

The refs were terrible. Not as bad as the St. bonaventure crew but pretty bad. You don’t get all the replays on tv. In the dome you can see the whole court and you get the replay. I was five rows in. They missed two obvious out of bounds called. Luckily one was overturned. The big guy should have fouled out in the first half. And one of their guards hooked everytime he got the ball. That is the only way he got into the paint. They called him for it once but he pushed off several times. A call on Sid where the replay showed zero contact. Marek got dislodged on a rebound attempt, no call. Chukwu should have got called once but I think he quickly pulled his hands away and got lucky. We had a block or two that looked clean on the replay but who knows what the ref saw. Allowing the body contact while calling cheapies certainly didn’t favor our style. And I don’t know how the foul count has anything to do with how competent the refs were or how fair the game was called.

All valid points and I thought they should have received many more off the ball fouls on rebounds. It seems like referees are afraid to call over the back or a push on rebounds. That big dude Perkins was pushing people quite a bit and I thought Battle was fouled frequently on reach ins and push. I am convinced Stephens hates us. Wish we received some Duke like calls at least one game. Nothing compares to Ohio State this year though

Calls were even, but the officials were still atrocious both ways. Love calling offensive fouls when guys blow over from the wind. Officiating gets worse every year.

Calls were even, but the officials were still atrocious both ways. Love calling offensive fouls when guys blow over from the wind. Officiating gets worse every year.

Between College Basketball and the NFL the referees continue to spiral downwards. Thank goodness they have not ruined college football "yet"

Typical college game...bs charges galore on both sides , anticipatory calls and the look at me egocentric Stephens who pays to watch himself dance around the court

Dude, its funny you say that. We had that exact conversation at the Dome last night. Like he loves calling against the home team because he gets all the attention. Put him up there with Burr and Higgins

Went and saw UVM beat St Bonaventure in double OT last night. Refs called 6 offensive fouls in the first half alone. 4 against screeners not staying stationary. Bona screeners tend to turn towards the guard coming around the screen so a few we're legit.

But there was also some serious acting the refs bought way too easily.

From Net Points, etc.:

(Two point shots and free throws attempted per times fouled.)
We attempted 35 two point shots, attempted 13 free throws and were fouled 18 times = 1.94; 0.72
They attempted 29 two point shots, attempted 20 free throws and were fouled 19 times = 1.53; 1.05;
They were more likely to get calls when attempting two point shots and got more free throws out of it when we were fouled.

I thought flops were rewarded too much and was delighted to see Frank Howard and the refs ignore one while frank drained a three. But we were definitely out-played and the best team won that game.

All valid points and I thought they should have received many more off the ball fouls on rebounds. It seems like referees are afraid to call over the back or a push on rebounds. That big dude Perkins was pushing people quite a bit and I thought Battle was fouled frequently on reach ins and push. I am convinced Stephens hates us. Wish we received some Duke like calls at least one game. Nothing compares to Ohio State this year though
No they aren’t. I see our centers get called for at least one every game.

Didn't see the game but most disgraceful display of officiating I've ever seen IMHO.
I wasn't at the game and couldn't watch it on television but thought the team looked listless and exhibited poor body language and was absolutely shocked at how disinterested the entire coaching staff looked.

The pushing and banging down low is pretty much normal in every game. You see it every night in every conference. Our guys though can’t hold up down there to even a little bit of contact. I don’t really consider those fouls. Our Centers are playing on stilts. Now there was one play where it was definitely legit and was called. Someone maybe Frank throwing the ball up to Chukwu and he was undercut as he went up to get the pass. Different scenario.

Typical college game...bs charges galore on both sides , anticipatory calls and the look at me egocentric Stephens who pays to watch himself dance around the court

Yeah, it's hard to tell sometimes on TV, but I swear Stephens blew the whistle for a foul on OB's pretty insane block just as the Bulls' player was leaving the floor....way before any contact could have occurred.

Thoughts: they were horrible. Without reading any posts on this thread, I hope nobody would defend them. But I'm glad SU lost on the merits so we don't have to see the "refs cost us the game!/no they didn't!" back and forth.

Off the top of my head, they called a phantom reach on Howard and a completely insane charge against a Syracuse player where the UB guy ran up to undercut him. They also called a totally awful charge (Hughes with the flop) in Syracuse's favor as a clear make-up for a blown call at the other end. Michael Stephens is very bad at what he does.

I'll add that last year I complained that UB's a dirty team and SU got a raw deal. I didn't see any of that this time around. Just thought the officiating was inept and uneven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom