Thoughts on Riley Cooper | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Riley Cooper

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Been traveling all week and haven't had time to jump in here on much.

What Riley Cooper did was obviously wrong and the response by the Eagles seems inadequate. A suspension was probably in the best interests of everyone. And to be clear, before this week, I had never even heard of this guy.

But the reaction has been so far over the top in some cases it has surprised me.

LeSean McCoy, the Eagles’ top running back, said Thursday that while he had forgiven Cooper as a teammate, on a personal level, “I can’t really respect somebody like that.”

McCoy also suggested that Cooper had expressed remorse only because he had been caught on videotape. “I feel like it was a matter of thinking the cameras were off, thinking nobody was watching,” McCoy said. “That’s when a person shows who they really are.”

I wonder what level of respect McCoy has for Mike Vick. I'd really like to know.

In reality, I think Mike Vick's response so far has been the only reasonable one, probably because he knows what it's like to make a mistake and receive forgiveness.

I wonder what punishment will be sufficient to allow Cooper back on the field.

I don't know how McCoy feels about Vick, but what Cooper said was pretty bad, and it was at ethnic slur toward McCoy's race, so I can see why he would have lost respect for the guy. (Now whether or not he really did lose respect, or he was just trying to make a statement, obviously, who knows)

I tried to google to see what, if anything, McCoy had to say about Vick after the charges. Didn't find much, just a ton of stuff about some race they had.

I wonder what punishment will be sufficient to allow Cooper back on the field.

Suspend him for a couple of games probably?

I imagine any suspension will be on the order of 4 games. At least. And he would be very smart to not say a thing and accept the penalty offered.

I realize my thoughts weren't fully congealed when I first started this thread and judging by the lack of response, I imagine this might be too hot a topic for many to weigh in on at this point. Hard to say anything and not come off a bit racist.

I do want to say that one of Cooper's teammates said something that I have thought for a long time about the use of the n-word by members of the African-American community.

"Williams, the Eagles cornerback, said Friday that while blacks used the epithet that Cooper used in a much different context, he believed that no one should say the word. “I think as a black community, sometimes we desensitize the word,” Williams said. “You’ve got to look back at the history and what our ancestors went through to rid us of that name and to try to get our civil rights.” "

I realize my thoughts weren't fully congealed when I first started this thread and judging by the lack of response, I imagine this might be too hot a topic for many to weigh in on at this point. Hard to say anything and not come off a bit racist.

I think that is part of it. I just want to co-sign everything the great Adam Carolla has ever said about race and leave it at that. At least one guy in Hollywood has the balls to tell the truth.

Ironically John Salley was on his podcast like the day before this came out & he was asking why whites were so upset with Paula Dean because blacks didn't care. Unfortunately that theory hasn't been backed up by Deadbeat Dad McCoy & Mayor Nutter's pathetic grandstanding over this Cooper debacle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom