Thoughts on Tweeting at Recruits | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Tweeting at Recruits

Scott11

Starter
This is a topic that has occurred to me for some time. I was curious how the rest of you felt about people tweeting at recruits that Syracuse is trying to get to commit. Obviously tweeting negative stuff is absurd. For the most part these are teenage kids and taking shots at any of them is pretty reprehensible. But I’m curious about fans tweeting at recruits in an effort to get them to come to Syracuse.

I don’t have a problem with people liking a recruit’s post. But I think we should leave the recruiting to the staff. I think it is kind of weird when fans beg these teenagers to come to Syracuse. I think it at best makes us look desperate and at worst makes us look pathetic. And I fear at some point some well-meaning fan is going to do something that could hurt our ability to attract a particular recruit.

Some may disagree. Perhaps they think that because other schools have fans tweeting at recruits it would make the recruits think that our fans are not as invested or numerous if we don’t do the same. But I don’t agree. At the end of the day there really is no reason for a grown ass man to be tweeting at a teenager who he has never met and has no relationship with. I find it hard to believe that teenagers will decide to come to a school because some stranger they have never met tells them how great they are or vouches for the school they root for.

We don’t know the staff’s priorities or strategies. We don’t know the kids and what will attract them. So I’d respectfully submit that we should leave the recruiting to the experts.

Interested in your thoughts, whether you agree with me or not.

It is against NCAA rules for boosters to contact recruits.

If you made one donation to SU, you are considered a booster for life.

Season ticket holders are now automatically boosters.

And it's creepy for 50 year olds to contact teenagers.

It is against NCAA rules for boosters to contact recruits.

If you made one donation to SU, you are considered a booster for life.

Season ticket holders are now automatically boosters.

And it's creepy for 50 year olds to contact teenagers.
So the boost the Cuse thing counts as a donation?

As a high and almighty booster, I refrain from contacting croots

What about fans around the same age as recruits? Just curious if that’s still looked down upon, and I’m not saying I disagree or anything, but I wonder how that’s looked at by older fans. I’m 32, and have never used Twitter, FWIW, so no real strong opinion on this either way.

I dont tweet at them because I am considered a Booster.

That being said, if I didnt, I would not have an issue with it IF they have made their recruitment process a public story. If they are using Twitter to start the conversation, I have no issue with taking part in it.

Yes, I know I am in the minority here on that, and I'm ok with that. Not the first, won't be the last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom