Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Some miscellaneous thoughts on this team and this season….

After that 3 game losing string in mid season that put a successful season in grave jeopardy, this team has fought back to make the last 3 games meaningful.

For that alone, I am grateful. My guess is that this is true of most SU football fans. I think we have all gained some respect and admiration for this team. They aren’t perfect and have been tough to watch sometimes, but they have never given up and have shown a toughness too many recent SU football teams have not had.

I think the game today is almost a must win. Let’s be honest. There are 3 teams in the ACC that have separated themselves from the rest: Wake, NC State and Pitt. We unfortunately have to play 2 of them to end the season.

It is so important for us to get to 6 wins and a bowl game this year. Perception is everything. We took a terrible hit here last season and it would be so big for the staff and recruiting if we could point to a bowl game. It would be great to have those extra practices to get our young players more experience and better positioned for next season. It shouldn’t make much difference to the people that do the preseason predications or the ACC schedule but I think if we get to 6 wins, the program will be looked at by many much differently. Including our own fans. Getting to 6 wins and a bowl would really help convince the fence sitters to get season tickets next year.

UL is no easy win. They have fought hard all year and like us, still have a chance for a bowl game. Both teams are fighting to get to respectability, both had embarrassing seasons last year and both desperately want and need this win.

It will be interesting to see how Gilbert chooses to attack the UL defense. Gotta think UL is going to put 8 men in the box and try to make Shrader beat them passing the ball. Losing their best CB for the season makes this harder. Gilbert’s approach to the 8 man box surprises me some. He has Garrett throwing deep a lot but not much with intermediate routes. I assume this is being done to try and get the DCs to ask their safeties to be involved in pass coverage.

I thought Garrett had some kind of hand injury against BC. He was clearly banged up and not as nimble running the ball but I saw him flexing his right hand and working it a few times after getting hit. I think that is why his passing was off that game. Hope he is back for this game. Going to be tough to win getting less than 100 yards passing. UL has a solid offense and you have to expect they are going to score at least 20 points today.

I expect Courtney is going to get targeted a lot and look for him to get around 8 catches today. Alford is going to get some chances on deep balls. He has a chance to have a big day as well.

It has been a long 2 weeks waiting for the next SU football game. I am really pumped up for this one. I hope we can finally play well after a bye and finally play well again in Louisville. Let’s get this one.

WAR DAMN OTTO!

Agree with everything, Tom. The team is, in the Shrader era, entertaining to watch. It can be ugly at times, and in fact it IS ugly at times, but we are more competitive and so far have not been out of any games.

Of course, haven't been out of any games "yet", anyway...we aren't playing BC, Ohio, and Albany anymore. We are about to find out what this team is really made of.

The last three are tough games, getting to 6 wins and a bowl is imperative for national image in general and recruiting specifically. It is much harder to sell a dream to recruits if you have not been able to do it more than once in six years. Then it becomes less of a dream and simply BS. Get to a bowl and you can sell the "you will be part of this turnaround" pitch more realistically.

If we can't win today, our road to six wins will have turned to a detour up Mt. Denali. Not to say we can't still make the summit but the the odds will go down markedly.

Time to lay a heaping helping of number 34 and the boys on the Cards and then see how far we can take the rest of the season from there.

I've said it in another thread but I get lots of 2010 vibes from this team. Grinding it out, playing together, never giving up. Been frustrating at times but a very enjoyable season to watch these guys.
I get more 2012 vibes (because I think this team is more talented on the lines and RB/QB than 2010) but similar thoughts. GS starting is the equivalent of Pugh coming back at tackle, different team after those changes.

Its a shame as we could be 2 to 3 games better at this point but im very proud of the staff for keeping the kids focused and believing in the program. Shrader being healthy today is critical. We are going to need him to win this game with his arm and legs. I realize that LV has a great run D but they havnt faced us. I hope that we dont abandon the run early if we struggle. Want to see us toggle between a heavy look with Mang involved and a spread look. Keep Ville guessing. Last point look for 25 today. I think he has a break out game.

We have an advantage today, coming off our bye week. Lots of complaining about having the bye late in our schedule, but it should work to our favor in this tough stretch.

Yes, NC State and Pitt look like tougher games. If the team can win today (no easy task), SU fans can believe against those two.

Finally get a turn-over or two?

Most of us “older” die hard fans remember getting blown out in the late 90s into the 2000s (Miami, FSU, Clemson and a few select others) and being completely miserable. Those days appear to be a thing of the past. This team is not perfect, but they play with heart and tenacity. Like others have stated, they never give up. As a long time fan you can ask for more than that. I would love to see them get a bowl bid today. LG Cuse!

Bold prediction for today:

A big pass play to a TE. I think Dino knows the TEs are underutilized and during the bye week they designed something for them.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a gadget play screen to Luke “Gronkowski” Benson go for 57 yards and a score due to some mistake in the secondary.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a gadget play screen to Luke “Gronkowski” Benson go for 57 yards and a score due to some mistake in the secondary.
I think running Benson or Mang as a blocker in the opposite direction of what looks like an option out of that pistol formation would open up the field a lot.

I'm thinking (expecting) we will see some type of trick play(s) today. DB and GS both hinted at the possibility.

In reflecting back on the season so far, it's a great feeling again to think that we can legitimately compete with anyone on the schedule.

Big game today!

I don’t believe there is much separation.

I don’t think the degree of separation is all that wide either. There are no excellent teams on The ACC, a few good teams, a whole bunch of mediocre teams, and some lousy teams. I think we are currently in the mediocre range regardless of final outcome and may yet prove ourselves to be in the good range. That is what the final three games will determine.

Most of us “older” die hard fans remember getting blown out in the late 90s into the 2000s (Miami, FSU, Clemson and a few select others) and being completely miserable. Those days appear to be a thing of the past. This team is not perfect, but they play with heart and tenacity. Like others have stated, they never give up. As a long time fan you can ask for more than that. I would love to see them get a bowl bid today. LG Cuse!
Some of us can remember getting blown out in games all the way back to the '70s. ;)

I apologize for my comment about no longer getting blown out. I believe I may have jinxed the team. I should have known better than to post something of that nature on game day. I have been angry all afternoon.

On the bright side my Penn State grad girlfriend doesn’t get to gloat over me today. Go Blue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom