Three man rush | Syracusefan.com

Three man rush

mark79

Doughnut connoisseur
I said in another thread that I’m not a fan of the three man rush.

So here I’m going to contradict myself just for the sake of discussion.

The three man rush may have led to the sack fumble. If most of the game you’re not rushing four or more, when extras do come, they didn’t expect it. It was a key play in the game for sure.

In addition, rushing three may have led to the interception as we had extra guys in place to come up with the tipped ball. Don’t quote me on this one as I haven’t rewatched to see how many were rushing on that play.

I seem to recall us being burned a few times blitzing so maybe we only rush three most times because our secondary just isn’t that good.

Anyway, it drives me pretty crazy to see opposing quarterbacks with all of that time.

Discuss.

Last edited:

The three man rush may have led to the sack fumble. If most of the game you’re not blitzing, when one does come, they didn’t expect it. It was a key play in the game for sure.

In addition, rushing three may have led to the interception as we had extra guys in place to come up with the tipped ball. Don’t quote me on this one as I haven’t rewatched to see if we were blitzing or not.

I seem to recall us being burned a few times blitzing so maybe we do it because our secondary just isn’t that good.

Discuss.
Mark79, our boards Linda Richman aka SNL Mike Myers.
verklempt saturday night live GIF

I know we grabbed a few turnovers last night but the 3 man rush is driving me crazy. There is literally zero pressure on the QB and I don’t care how many guys are back in coverage, somebody will eventually break free and the QB will find him. Their QB missed 3 or 4 throws for loooong plays that could have killed us last night. He had an eternity to throw the ball. Fran needs to have a talk with his guy ER and discuss this IMO.

I know we grabbed a few turnovers last night but the 3 man rush is driving me crazy. There is literally zero pressure on the QB and I don’t care how many guys are back in coverage, somebody will eventually break free and the QB will find him. Their QB missed 3 or 4 throws for loooong plays that could have killed us last night. He had an eternity to throw the ball. Fran needs to have a talk with his guy ER and discuss this IMO.
Since fall camp we’ve lost three D linemen for the year. I suspect, based on numbers alone, there’s a higher probability of SU continuing with the three men front than not.

I don't think our pressure changes much if we rush four. Our back end is awful and last night their QB was not super accurate so I didn't mind sitting back a little with more people in coverage.

The three man rush may have led to the sack fumble. If most of the game you’re not rushing four or more, when extras do come, they didn’t expect it. It was a key play in the game for sure.

In addition, rushing three may have led to the interception as we had extra guys in place to come up with the tipped ball. Don’t quote me on this one as I haven’t rewatched to see how many were rushing on that play.

I seem to recall us being burned a few times blitzing so maybe we only rush three most times because our secondary just isn’t that good.

Anyway, it drives me pretty crazy to see opposing quarterbacks with all of that time.

Discuss.
Every time we ru sh three we give up big plays. Now if we could get some pressure im ok with it but we are a terrible pash rush team. We NEED pressure.

when you have no pass rush 3-4 whats the difference. You can count on 1 hand when 5-6 have gotten home. We have 1 guy who seems to be able to speed rush and he isnt on the field. But he may be down the stretch. Almost wish he hadnt played vs Holy Cross because with 5 ACC games left he could have played in 4..

We are trying to hide the lack of any cover DBs and mixing up coverage is our only hope.

We could at least rush 3 and have a 4th rusher come in on a delay. That would at least not mimic a non contact passing drill for the QB. You’re going to make every QB look good when they have all day to throw. In the very least teach the 3 guys a different technique than the bull rush for 4 quarters.

Fans love pressure and sacks and see good pass plays as a sign rushing 3 isn’t working - but the times they throw it short of the line to gain on 3rd down or a drive stalls (most QBs can’t sustain dink and dunk like McCord). I guarantee you ER wants a balance. There’s no reason to heat up the QB when you’re up which we have been most of the year.

Fans love pressure and sacks and see good pass plays as a sign rushing 3 isn’t working - but the times they throw it short of the line to gain on 3rd down or a drive stalls (most QBs can’t sustain dink and dunk like McCord). I guarantee you ER wants a balance. There’s no reason to heat up the QB when you’re up which we have been most of the year.
That’s an excellent point. When you’re up most of the game a point could be made not to risk a big play. That said, it sure is hard to watch.

We 3 man against Pitt he will pick us apart. Too much time

That’s an excellent point. When you’re up most of the game a point could be made not to risk a big play. That said, it sure is hard to watch.
agreed its extremely frustrating to watch but also our defense only gave up a legitimate 6 points last night so maybe I'm the problem and need to adjust...

No i think he wants to attack but we dont have the man on man ability yet that he wants so he does the lesser evil which our big plays came from pressure so i dont know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom