Three Man Weave ACC Preview | Syracusefan.com

Three Man Weave ACC Preview

UpstateSM

LeQuint Allen/Justin Taylor Flag-Planter

I forgot to post this when they released it. Really in-depth on every team.

If you're a college hoops junkie like myself I highly suggest their website and podcast.

If you're a college hoops junkie like myself I highly suggest their website and podcast.
Thought it was a good article but he should have discussed the contributions Kadary and Alan are expected to make; a little more about what they bring to the table. Could have talked about how much Sidibe improved late in the season, like he did with Wong of Miami.

Personally, I think he is overstating how much iso Joe is going to do and did not mention Alan or Kadary at all. Time will tell but it sounds like he has Joe as the centerpiece of the offense, when I think he is really going to be more of a facilitator than the guy who dominates taking shots. Don't get me wrong, Joe is going to shoot and score a lot. I just think a bunch of others will too. This should be one of JB's really balanced scoring teams.

We have a legit chance to have 6 players average double figures scoring. And I don't think Kadary will be far from also scoring in double figures.

Thought it was a good article but he should have discussed the contributions Kadary and Alan are expected to make; a little more about what they bring to the table. Could have talked about how much Sidibe improved late in the season, like he did with Wong of Miami.

Personally, I think he is overstating how much iso Joe is going to do and did not mention Alan or Kadary at all. Time will tell but it sounds like he has Joe as the centerpiece of the offense, when I think he is really going to be more of a facilitator than the guy who dominates taking shots. Don't get me wrong, Joe is going to shoot and score a lot. I just think a bunch of others will too. This should be one of JB's really balanced scoring teams.

We have a legit chance to have 6 players average double figures scoring. And I don't think Kadary will be far from also scoring in double figures.
I'm with you for sure on Griff, the guy nearly scored double digits in the best conference in the country last year in only 18 mpg, and shot 40 pct from 3. I like Kadary but I need to see him first, I heard great things about Carey and Goodine on here and they didn't pan out.

Good stuff - thanks for sharing. I will definitely bookmark this site and check out their podcast.

That stat showing the big jump in opponent's FG% at the rim last year was pretty interesting. Definitely need to tighten that up (as well as the D at the top of the zone, which has been discussed here ad nauseum).

Thanks for sharing, this was really great!!

Whether you agree 100% or not, they really did their research, used a lot of statistical analysis and went deeper than most of the superficial stuff we typically see!!

9th is ok as long as we get that football money? The way some people on here talk about the team, one would think that we would at least be projected in the top half of the ACC. I know that I'm new here, but what am I missing? Looking for serious replies, not attacks.

Good stuff - thanks for sharing. I will definitely bookmark this site and check out their podcast.

That stat showing the big jump in opponent's FG% at the rim last year was pretty interesting. Definitely need to tighten that up (as well as the D at the top of the zone, which has been discussed here ad nauseum).
Those stats (our weak inside scoring and inside defense) confirm what we saw in many games last season. Opposing big guys killed us; our bigs were slim, finesse players who frequently got over-powered. They also got into foul trouble which will usually be the result when more bulky opponents do their work inside.
Having made that point, the article does not get into why it might be different this season. Alan Griffin is a good rebounder for his size, but he probably isn’t going to be better than Hughes. The improvement has to come from Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Edwards — each of whom reportedly has added muscle. That might be the #1 factor in the team’s ability to compete and be better than a #9 projection in the ACC.

Thought this was very insightful write up. I personally love analytics and think they are able to show a lot of quality information. IMO I believe we will finish anywhere between 5-8 in the conference. I think our depth at center is greatly improved and our interior defense will be much better because of it. With that said however, my one concern is griffin on the wing. At only 6'5", I am concerned he is undersized for that position and our wing defense and rebounding will be less than ideal. Iv always thought our wings who are 6'7" or 6'8" and above can help cover up a lot in the interior. So I am skeptical and concerned with that. It cant be worse then last year or football right?

Thought this was very insightful write up. I personally love analytics and think they are able to show a lot of quality information. IMO I believe we will finish anywhere between 5-8 in the conference. I think our depth at center is greatly improved and our interior defense will be much better because of it. With that said however, my one concern is griffin on the wing. At only 6'5", I am concerned he is undersized for that position and our wing defense and rebounding will be less than ideal. Iv always thought our wings who are 6'7" or 6'8" and above can help cover up a lot in the interior. So I am skeptical and concerned with that. It cant be worse then last year or football right?

We're replacing a 6’6” guy who was an average rebounder,
with a 6’5” guy who is an excellent rebounder.

We’ve got a ton of depth at C, a bunch of F’s, and the same 2 guards playing All. Of. The. Minutes.

Spoiler - our issues on D were NOT due to the wings, or the C.

.. .
I know what you are saying about Buddy & Joe, but our primary issue on D last season was getting over-powered inside. Nearly every opposing center had a career game.

I know what you are saying about Buddy & Joe, but our primary issue on D last season was getting over-powered inside. Nearly every opposing center had a career game.

That and how many games did we lose because we couldn't keep the primary bigs out of foul trouble? Joe and Buddy will dominate the minutes but Kadary hopefully is too good to not infringe on those minutes. Which means better than Goodine by a fair margin.

That field goal percentage stat on our defense at the rim is jarring. Thanks for sharing!

We're replacing a 6’6” guy who was an average rebounder,
with a 6’5” guy who is an excellent rebounder.

We’ve got a ton of depth at C, a bunch of F’s, and the same 2 guards playing All. Of. The. Minutes.

Umm, did you read the article? People shot 66% from around the rim last year. And yes, the top of the zone is an issue but the interior defense was not much better. Now we are getting a guy an inch shorter and 20 lbs lighter to play for hughes. Yes he has slightly better rebounding numbers than Hughes, but Hughes was also rebounding down low against guys that are bigger and stronger then he is because of the zone. Griffin was strictly a guard rebounding against smaller guys, cleaning up the box outs. Rebounding from man defense and rebounding in a zone are completely different. Not to mention Griffin has zero experience in the zone defense (Other than Wes Johnson, name another first year player that came in and dominated on defense?). So yes, I am concerned regarding the wing responsibilities and Griffin. No doubt he will be a very good offensive addition, but I feel he is more andrew white on the wing defensively. If you look at Whites rebounding before coming to Syracuse they were very similar to Griffins, and then they plummeted when he played at Syracuse. Hughes was a better Statistical rebounder from the wing than White.

Its going to be interesting to watch Joe this year. Hope he gets some run at the 2 with Kadary at the 1 as that is a more natural position for him.