Three-Wide Package | Syracusefan.com

Three-Wide Package

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
Although it was only day one, it was reported that our 3-Wide Pkg had West and Flemming at SE and Broyld in the slot with the first unit. Morphed together that averages 6'3 208, and between West and Broyld we know there is some scary athleticism with that size. I know that Flemming's a bit of an unknown. But this is a very intriguing unit. I'd have to imagine it will create more than 1 mismatch.

In Fact, I decided to go check and looked at their Post Spring Depth Chart. I would imagine that if you looked at the majority of depth charts that Penn State's secondary would be considered above average to big size wise. Ill be honest, I thought I'd see more of an advantage. But, I do like the match-ups with the Cornerbacks. One projected starter (Trevor Williams) has been a WR until this past Spring. Backing him up are two true Freshman. At the other Corner you have a true Soph projected as a starter whose never started before. His backups are two (2) 5'10 Sophmores, one of which is a RS Soph.

Post Spring Depth Chart (Secondary)

Left Cornerback: 10 Trevor Williams (6-1, 189, So/Jr) *** Played WR up until this year
24 Anthony Smith (6-0, 187, Fr/Fr) OR 12 Jordan Smith (5-11, 184, Fr/Fr)

Safety: 1 Malcolm Willis * (5-11, 213,Gr/Sr) OR 23 Ryan Keiser (6-1, 205, Sr/Jr) ***Willis has 17 career starts
2 Jake Kiley (6-0, 176, So/Fr)

Safety: 4 Adrian Amos (6-0, 211, Jr/Jr) ***Amos started all 12 games at Corner last season
7 S. Obeng-Agyapong * (5-10, 207, Gr/Sr)
6 Malik Golden (6-1, 193, So/Fr)

Cornerback: 9 Jordan Lucas (6-0, 192, So/So)
3 DaʼQuan Davis (5-10, 164, So/So)
16 Devin Pryor (5-10, 171, Jr/So)

Then Cornelius and Kobena are next up, and I'm sure Clark's there somewhere. Hale's down, Lewis, Funderburke, Estime and Winfield are next.

I don't ever remember having this many guys on the roster that I liked and want to see get the ball.

This is just for fun, taking a look at things until we count down to kickoff. The more I look into this game and into Penn State the more I like us here regardless of what Vegas says.

It's tough to tell what State will look like moving foreward but in the past they have really struggled to find ample speed/athleticism in the secondary.

It's tough to tell what State will look like moving foreward but in the past they have really struggled to find ample speed/athleticism in the secondary.

Agreed, it has not been a strength for them in the recent past.

I'd imagine that the skills there this year are still at the very least up to par with experienced depth beginning to diminish. I think next year will begin their more severe struggles.

I think I'm going to take a look at their O and D lines next. I think they'll still get top teir talent there in recruiting due in large part to the number of bigs that come out of PA alone. But keeping depth in those positions will become even more difficult as scholarships diminish due in large part to the shear numbers those positions encompass.

I'd imagine that the skills there this year are still at the very least up to par with experienced depth beginning to diminish. I think next year will begin their more severe struggles.

I think I'm going to take a look at their O and D lines next. I think they'll still get top teir talent there in recruiting due in large part to the number of bigs that come out of PA alone. But keeping depth in those positions will become even more difficult as scholarships diminish due in large part to the shear numbers those positions encompass.
How many scholarship guys are they running right now? Hopefully it impacts their ability to practice and get lots of reps. Hopefully guys tire out and get banged up.

It seems O'Brien is trying to get more speed at the skill positions which, with scholie limits, should result on a bit of a drop off with the bigs.

From what I've gathered is their Oline should be very good but their Dline will be a bit down of them. The oline is big and experienced, the dline is on the smaller side aside from a certain man named DaQuan Jones they have in the middle.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2012-13/depth_chart_non_event/FB_6-14.pdf

How many scholarship guys are they running right now? Hopefully it impacts their ability to practice and get lots of reps. Hopefully guys tire out and get banged up.

I just researched a little and came up with something interesting. According to a PennLive article, the Nittany Lions will currently suit up 67 this year. Beginning in 2014 they can have a max of 65 scholarship players and that number must be maintained, no higher, for four consecutive seasons. At least that's the way I comprehended it.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/05/getting_to_67_a_look_at_penn_s.html

It seems O'Brien is trying to get more speed at the skill positions which, with scholie limits, should result on a bit of a drop off with the bigs.

From what I've gathered is their Oline should be very good but their Dline will be a bit down of them. The oline is big and experienced, the dline is on the smaller side aside from a certain man named DaQuan Jones they have in the middle.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2012-13/depth_chart_non_event/FB_6-14.pdf

I just took a gander at LB's too and I hope the injury bug doesn't bite because they're thin there.

findwad great info at the top, looks good that their cb unit is young and inexperienced... would look for beckett wales, west, kobena to have pretty decent days if we can get the ball out to them. I still think if we get kobena, broyld and estime on field at once the speed/athleticism will be a huge M&M for teams.

I just took a gander at LB's too and I hope the injury bug doesn't bite because they're thin there.

Yeah Carson is the main guy. Hull can play as well but not sure he'd even start for us. Their DE Barnes can get after it but their DE's are pretty small on both corners. Rome will steam roll them a couple times and then PTG will leave them grasping at air.

I just researched a little and came up with something interesting. According to a PennLive article, the Nittany Lions will currently suit up 67 this year. Beginning in 2014 they can have a max of 65 scholarship players and that number must be maintained, no higher, for four consecutive seasons. At least that's the way I comprehended it.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/05/getting_to_67_a_look_at_penn_s.html
And that is going to hurt. Marrone had to deal with a similar situation when he "turned over the roster". 65 is almost a full scout team down from a full 85-man roster. Have to be careful not to wear guys out, and you have to be more careful about guys getting dinged up. Fewer reps, less learning. And the guys who can step in are younger and probably less prepared than on teams with a full roster.

I wish we were playing them later in the year when the lower numbers they have could make more of a difference

I wish we were playing them later in the year when the lower numbers they have could make more of a difference

I'm glad we're playing them game 1 because of their QB situation. They have a JUCO listed at 1 who wasn't that impressive in the Spring and a True Frosh that will be really good at some point but if he starts our defensive speed will give him serious issues. He's a pocket passer and it's become fairly evident that Frosh QB's only excel if they can run well.

Either way, it will be game 1 starting in D1 for either just like SU. Whoever their QB is will quickly learn who Dyshawn Davis is. We also have solid cover corners now and some savvy vets that will give him some different looks. Lyn's size and athleticism can negate Robinson at WR and after him their WR's aren't scary.

Our DE's ability to play vs the run will be more important than their pass rush ability in this game IMO. Micah needs to have a solid game setting the corner and closing down gaps. One of those important things that never shows up on stat sheets but PSU has a nice stable of RB's with depth like ours.

I think our D wins this game for us, the offense is just going to be working to get their feet underneath them at this point, IMO.

The more I look into this game and into Penn State the more I like us here regardless of what Vegas says.

Is the line still SU + 6 ? (I can't look at work)

I think our D wins this game for us, the offense is just going to be working to get their feet underneath them at this point, IMO.

Agreed. I'm not expecting too many points being scored in this game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom