Thursday Afternoon Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Afternoon Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
9239761-standard.jpg

Lessons from Carrier Dome debut make impression on Syracuse University freshman Eric Crume

Syracuse: It might be argued that the Orange are a more popular team in New York than the Scarlet Knights because so many Syracuse alumni end up living there. Its earlier attempt to join the ACC showed it isn't exactly married to the Big East. Syracuse is not an AAU member, but it has a very strong academic reputation.
Possible additions for BCS leagues

Greg from Norristown, Pa., writes: Brian, I love your take on conference expansion! I think Oklahoma would be a great addition, giving the B1G a huge name and Nebraska a long-time rival. The same would go for Missouri who has developed a good border state rivalry with Illinois. But my team is Penn State, and although they have developed some "rivalries" over the years (i.e. OSU, Mich, MSU, Iowa) they're not really the most organic and Penn Staters still kind of feel like an outsider in the conference. That's why I think Syracuse would be a great addition. People outside of Penn State may not realize the history PSU and 'Cuse have, dating back to the vandalization of our beloved Nittany Lion statue in the '70s. Plus, Syracuse would bring in the NY market (as much as possible) and they're a good fit academically. You used to cover the Orange, what do you think?

Brian Bennett: Greg, I do think the Big Ten will look East if it decides to expand, whether that's Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers or possibly UConn. While Maryland might bring more to the table with the Washington, D.C., market and Rutgers offers the tantalizing (and probably mostly imagined) prospect of New York City, Syracuse in many ways is a good fit. It's an excellent academic school with strong tradition and a natural rival for Penn State, which definitely needs an Eastern partner. I don't know if Syracuse is ever going to recapture its glory days given its location, but Doug Marrone has that program back on the right track.
ESPN

Last Opponent

Wake's Price Will Play

OOC Opponent

our_muddy_world_3.jpg

Concerts force USC to play on damaged field

Syracuse Mention

"They went from being a 17% pressure team last year to, I think they were 47% of the time against Syracuse. We're going to see pressure up front and they are going to get after us. We're going to have to be able to withstand that." "That doesn't mean they can't do it. They ran option the other night against Syracuse a couple of times. They still have all of those elements in their offense."
Scout

Fantasy

Van Chew, Syracuse vs. Rhode Island: Chew was the key component in Syracuse’s win in Week 1, scoring the game-winning touchdown after converting a two point conversion that sent the game into overtime. Chew is the No. 1 receiver and has a clear chemistry with Ryan Nassib, so expect a huge performance against the Rams in Week 2.
Week 2 Start and Sit wide receivers

Former Player

Sophomore running back Antwon Chisholm (Belle Glade, Fla.) rushed for 141 yards and the go-ahead touchdown, while senior quarterback David Legree (Brooklyn, N.Y.) threw for 99 yards and rushed for 104 more.
BS

Around The Big East

Report: LSU's Shepard to return for WVU game

Around The Nation

brian-kelly-insane.gif

Irish AD not surprised by criticism of Kelly

Source: Baylor won't budge until OU decides

NCAA: Florida DT Floyd must sit another game

Source: Paterno likely in press box vs. Alabama

Consultant: Message from Ohio St. top is critical

Georgia group finds game tickets for military

Blogs

Big East Football, Week 2: Game-By-Game Previews

Syracuse vs. Rhode Island: Fast Start Critical For Orange

University News

SU research could advance wing design, wind turbines

Very cool article on Crume.

Nice to see what he had to say about the team, the leadership that comes from the upperclassmen, and what he drew from the experience of last Thursday's game.

I know he is not going to be a starter this year necessarily, but man--are we lucky to have landed Crume. I predict he's going to be a fantastic player for us over the course of his career.

Greg from Norristown, Pa., writes: ... my team is Penn State, and although they have developed some "rivalries" over the years (i.e. OSU, Mich, MSU, Iowa) they're not really the most organic and Penn Staters still kind of feel like an outsider in the conference. That's why I think Syracuse would be a great addition. People outside of Penn State may not realize the history PSU and 'Cuse have, dating back to the vandalization of our beloved Nittany Lion statue in the '70s. Plus, Syracuse would bring in the NY market (as much as possible) and they're a good fit academically. You used to cover the Orange, what do you think?

Brian Bennett: ... Syracuse in many ways is a good fit. It's an excellent academic school with strong tradition and a natural rival for Penn State, which definitely needs an Eastern partner. I don't know if Syracuse is ever going to recapture its glory days given its location, but Doug Marrone has that program back on the right track.
ESPN

Very interesting. Penn State fans hoping to rekindle their past and pining for Syracuse as a potential future conference foe. It's water well under the bridge, but it's too bad JoPa ditched all the old eastern rivalries. While I know many here would love to slide into the ACC, the prospect of playing Penn State each year wouldn't be too bad either. With Marrone on board and JoPa (eventually) on the way out, I have no fear that we'd ever go two decades without beating them like the long streak prior to 1987. If the B1G invite ever did come, I for one, would be thrilled.