Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

20130405_ajl_sd2_038.0_standard_783.0.jpg

SU Assistant Coach Mike Hopkins in the Mix at BC (PS: Waters)

According to Mark Blaudschun of ajerseyguy.com, Boston College officials have yet to reach an agreement with Amaker, who had been considered the obvious choice to replace Steve Donahue, who was fired last week after four years at BC.

Blaudschun said that Hopkins and Towson head coach Pat Skerry could be at the top of Boston College's secondary list.

A source confirmed to Syracuse.com that Hopkins could become a candidate at Boston College, but the school has yet to contact the long-time Syracuse assistant.

Hopkins is set to follow Jim Boeheim as the head coach at Syracuse whenever Boeheim decides to retire. Hopkins has been on Boeheim's coaching staff since 1995. He has recruited several players within BC's geographical footprint including Demetris Nichols and Michael Carter-Williams of St. Andrew's Prep in Barrington, R.I., Craig Forth of East Greenbush, N.Y., and Kaleb Joseph, a native of New Hampshire who attends Cushing Academy in Ashburnham, Mass.

Hopkins Reportedly in Mix for BC Job (BC Interruption; Favat)

Favat is not a fan of Blaudschun...
To all legitimate mainstream media outlets: Can we please stop acting like Blaudschun has any idea what is going on with Boston College's men's basketball coaching search? Please? He's averaged over an article a day pimping Amaker-to-BC, even going so far as to stipulate initial contract demands. 6 years, $10 million, right? The motive is fairly obvious to those paying even the slightest bit of attention.

Amaker may be in the mix for the BC job, but the only one who claims that he is BC's Plan A is Blaudschun. This is how you lose control of the narrative. This is how Smart-to-Marquette rumors start.

As for Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins, his name may or may not be on the list, but it was on a list.

Marquette's New President Has Ties to Pittsburgh, Ben Howland Speculation Grows (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; Hunt)

Lovell has three degrees from the University of Pittsburgh and was the associate dean of research at Pitt while Ben Howland coached the Panthers. Howland, who last coached at UCLA, is a candidate for the job. He has talked with Marquette about the position and is waiting for a response from the school.

A 'Perfect Storm" Could Get Hopkins to Leave Syracuse (PS; Poliquin)

"I live by the philosophy that my father gave me," Mike recollected during a recent conversation. "He told me: 'Work hard, surround yourself with good people and good things will happen.' I've had opportunities to go, and they were good ones. But they were never good enough for me to say, 'I'm going to leave good people where good things have happened for me.'

"I've been lucky to be around Coach and learn. I've gotten an amazing education. What happens when you've been in a place for so long is you start to think, 'Has time passed me by?' And, 'Life is too short.' But I'm better for it. The length of time I've been here, I've been able to get better. But when I feel I'm at that point where I'm not getting better or I feel like I'm in Purgatory . . . "

Tim Welch Says JG and TE Should Stay at Syracuse (The Juice; Cheng)

14272614-mmmain.jpg

TE's Frosh Season Rivals SU Greats (PS; Waters)

Tyler Ennis' freshman year numbers rival any of his predecessors at Syracuse. Ennis averaged 12.9 points per game. Flynn is the only Syracuse point guard who scored more as a freshman at 15.7 points per game. (Gerry McNamara averaged 13.3 points per game while splitting time between the point and shooting guard as a freshman).

Ennis' 187 assists are second only to Washington's 199 as a freshman. Ennis' 5.5 assists per game have been exceeded by only Washington (6.2) and Hart (5.8). Ennis' 2.1 steals per game are the fourth-highest average for a Syracuse freshman — Hart had 2.8 steals per game in his first year.

-82f3c8b015711713.JPG

TE Will Discuss NBA Draft with Family and JB (PS; Waters)

Syracuse University freshman Tyler Ennis is "in a good position'' when it comes to deciding between entering the NBA draft or returning for his sophomore year of college, his father said Wednesday.

Ennis' father, Tony McIntyre, said he would support whatever his son wants to do.

"He's sitting in a good position,'' McIntyre said. "He's loved his time at Syracuse. He's loved being a college kid. He's met a lot of great people. He's loved playing there. He can continue that for another year or he's got a great opportunity to pursue his dream of playing in the NBA.''

14571962-mmmain.jpg

TC's Late Slump Hid His Overall Good Numbers (PS; Waters)

Trevor Cooney's sophomore season can be split into two distinct parts — the first 22 games and the last 12 games.

On Feb. 3, Cooney tied a Syracuse record with nine 3-pointers in the Orange's 61-55 win over Notre Dame.

That was the 22nd game of the season for Syracuse. Cooney's record-tying performance had brought his 3-point field goal numbers to 68 out of 154 — a remarkable 44.1 percent. At that point, Cooney's 3-point shooting percentage would have been the fourth-highest in SU history and his attempts would have met the minimum of 50.

Cooney had become Syracuse's main outside shooting threat. He had gone 7-for-8 in the Orange's season-opener against Cornell. He was 4-for-4 from outside the arc against California. He made five out of nine treys against Indiana. He went 5-for-8 against Villanova. Even when Duke limited him to just two shots from 3-point range, Cooney made them both.

ACC

Barclays and MSG to Battle for NYC (Wall Street Journal)

In a news conference in the arena's lobby on Wednesday, Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark called Brooklyn "the heart of basketball in this city." He added that "with today's major announcement, it's clear that Barclays Center has become the 'must-play' for college basketball in the U.S."

Meanwhile, across the East River in Manhattan, Madison Square Garden officials held their own news conference on Wednesday to remind the public of the arena's own rich basketball history. Oscar Robertson, Pearl Washington, former Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun and others were on hand to espouse the many great games that have been staged at the Garden—including the three NCAA tournament games coming up this weekend.

NCAA Tournament

Tournament Schedule for Sweet 16 (PS; Murray)

Other

Syracuse Noise-Punk Band Perfect Announces International Tour

Last edited:
Tomcat, you're doing an excellent job filling in for Orangeyes, and you're to be commended. I selfishly enjoy the fact that we haven't missed a beat. That said, and as a fan and a friend of OE don't take this the wrong way, I can't wait until you're not doing this job anymore. It'll be great to have Dan back.

Thanks for helping us keep our addiction in full swing!

"I've been lucky to be around Coach and learn. I've gotten an amazing education. What happens when you've been in a place for so long is you start to think, 'Has time passed me by?' And, 'Life is too short.' But I'm better for it. The length of time I've been here, I've been able to get better. But when I feel I'm at that point where I'm not getting better or I feel like I'm in Purgatory . . . "

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

"And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online