Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

Recruiting

giudice-jpg.14828

DT Verbal Anthony Giudice Worked Hard to Transform Body, Says 'There's No Backing Out' on Commitment (PS; Mink)

That wasn't the only thing Dad taught Giudice, who on Tuesday became the 10th player to verbally commit to Syracuse's 2015 class. Following a routine visit in which he toured campus and met with the coaching staff, Giudice stepped outside, called his mother and told her he was finished with the recruiting process.

That he was able to look into the coaches' eyes when committing was especially meaningful, something not all recruits have the opportunity to do.

"That's a huge part to me because my word, to me, is more than signing a piece of paper," Giudice said. "When I told them I'm 100 percent committed, there's no backing out. There's no anything. My dad always told me your word should mean more than anything written down on paper and that's what it is."

Giudice, who transferred in February from New Jersey to Avon Old Farms School in Connecticut, said he was one of two defensive tackles the staff planned to take in this recruiting cycle.

SU News

-075d50ec05bacff2.JPG

Money: SU QB Terrel Hunt Among Active Leaders for Game-Winning Drives in Fourth Quarter (PS; Mink)

Terrel Hunt went through the typical ups and downs not uncommon for a first-year starter last season, but not many quarterbacks returning this season have produced more game-winning fourth-quarter drives than the Syracuse junior.

Here is a quick nugget dropped into my inbox by our ACC football and basketball writerPatrick Stevens via Navy's sports information director Scott Strasemeier.

Only three active Football Bowl Subdivision quarterbacks have more game-winning drives than Hunt, who has three.

Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller (6), Navy's Keenan Reynolds (5) and East Carolina's Shane Carden (4) are the only ones who have more than Hunt, who is tied with several more quarterbacks such as Auburn's Nick Marshall, Oregon State's Sean Mannion and Arizona State's Taylor Kelly.

Is Syracuse Football Finally Back? (TNIAAM; McClusky)

Is Syracuse football back?

You've been asked that question, you've asked that question and I'm know you've thought about that question. Three bowl wins in the last four seasons after all the losing, so much losing, has everyone wondering if things will actually stay...better. The last four years have produced 25 wins for a program that had just 10 victories between 2005 and 2008! Plus, actual real honest-to-goodness recruiting news has become habitual around these parts.

But does that define "back"?

Personally, I'm tired of this debate. I've said and written for years that SU should be a consistent eight win team with the occasional down years and the every-so-often 10 (or more) win season. That's about where things stand now, isn't it? Being in bowl contention the last handful of seasons. Obviously that doesn't mean everything is great. Hell, I could see Shafer's team producing one of those "off-seasons" in 2014. But overall I think this is a pretty good time for Orange fans, "back" or not.

Get to Know Your Orangemen: #16 Keenan Hale (TNIAAM; Farrell)

Money Quote: (On his first encounter with the Syracuse weather)

"The week I went was the first weekend they’d had snow, and they got six inches," he said. "It isn’t like the same weather here. I really enjoyed it. I slipped a few times on the ice, and I know I’ll need to make sure I have some boots when I go back."

Toto, we're not in Georgia anymore.

Links of Wonder: Hale explains how going to boarding school in Tennessee turned him into a Kenny Chesney fan who likes to hunt wild boar.

Twitterfeed: No, but he does have an Instagram

20131123_jla_ai8_380.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Get to Know Your Orangemen: #18 Darius Kelly (TNIAAM; ElleNiles)

2013 Stats: In his first year with the Orange, Kelly had 44 (!!) tackles, 30 of which were unassisted. He also blocked a punt against Tulane (see highlights below).

2014 Projections: Syracuse's secondary struggled a bit last season, but the Orange only lost one player (Keon Lyn). So, with a year of experience under their belts, expect improvement from everyone. There may also be some shuffling around, depending on injuries, which could mean Kelly sees minutes at both safety positions.

How'd He Get Here: By way of Pima Community College, first. Then, this JUCO addition chose Syracuse over Arizona, Utah, Utah State, and Marshall.

What'd Recruiting Sites Say: Two stars from Rivals, and three from everyone else.

20131109_ajw_ax1_133.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Get to Know Your Orangemen: #20 Brisley Estime (TNIAAM; Keeley)

What Does Shafer Think Of Him:"Brisly Estime...You kind of want him to take Football 101, master it, get an 'A' in the class and then move forward to Football 201."

What Does Will Hicks Think Of Him: "We all knew he was fast. He really got fast this offseason. He's a really fast kid right now. I'm not supposed to tell you numbers, but he's fast. Faster than last year. Dramatically faster."

Interesting Nugget O'Interest: Incoming recruit Adly Enoicy was a high school teammate of Estime's.

Interesting Nugget O'Interest 2: It's pronounces Ess-tuh-may, just in case you weren't clear. Actually it's Es-teem. Carry on.

10342892_10202204847710858_1508410204638118839_n.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Get to Know Your Orangemen: #19 CB Joe Nassib (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

What Does Shafer Think Of Him: This should surprise no one:

"I love the hell out of Joey."

Interesting Nugget O'Interest: Nassib has the type of intelligence that can't be described by other members of our football team (from Ivan Foy):

"He’s smart. I don’t know how smart, but he is very, very smart. He might be a little too smart for me. I can’t keep up with him."

I'm having Jerry Maguire flashbacks about the handshake as strong as oak.

Seems like a stand up young man and I'm thrilled have him wearing Orange. IMO, you build strong O and D lines and the rest follows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom