Thursday Night Football | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Night Football

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
I can't believe Oklahoma State, the 9th ranked team in the country would reduce itself to Thursday night football coverage. Pathetic.

I am hoping your being sarcastic. Thursday Night Football has become the Monday Night Football for College Football. Last season 5 of the 6 BCS conferences (the B1G refises home games on anything other Saturdays except week 1) had games scheduled on Thursday nite. It is not small-time at all, but playing on Friday nite is totally small-time because you are competing with high school Friday nite lights. The Big East conference has been the only BCS conference that has played games on Friday nite until this year when the Big 12 and Pac-12 added games to Friday nite. If you live anywhere south of NY they take HS football seriously and having games on against their game is not exactly big time. Playing on Thursday night as the only game in show is Big-time and helps with exposure for recruiting. If the Administration would sign off on a Thursday night home game in the future I will know we are big time again in the eyes of ESPN.

I like the Friday night games. They always seem to have a great atmosphere. And there's something sad to me about people who are well past high school and who don't have kids who play that are into high school football.

I like the Friday night games. They always seem to have a great atmosphere. And there's something sad to me about people who are well past high school and who don't have kids who play that are into high school football.
Not meant to sound like a jerk...but have you ever lived in a place where big time HS football is played? TX, CA, the south, etc...HS football is much larger than some NE football games I have been to.

44cuse

I am hoping your being sarcastic. Thursday Night Football has become the Monday Night Football for College Football. Last season 5 of the 6 BCS conferences (the B1G refises home games on anything other Saturdays except week 1) had games scheduled on Thursday nite. It is not small-time at all, but playing on Friday nite is totally small-time because you are competing with high school Friday nite lights. The Big East conference has been the only BCS conference that has played games on Friday nite until this year when the Big 12 and Pac-12 added games to Friday nite. If you live anywhere south of NY they take HS football seriously and having games on against their game is not exactly big time. Playing on Thursday night as the only game in show is Big-time and helps with exposure for recruiting. If the Administration would sign off on a Thursday night home game in the future I will know we are big time again in the eyes of ESPN.

Do you mean like the Thursday night game that we just played exactly one week ago?

I enjoy watching all the off Saturday college football games. Thursday, Friday, whatever, I enjoy them all.

Not meant to sound like a jerk...but have you ever lived in a place where big time HS football is played? TX, CA, the south, etc...HS football is much larger than some NE football games I have been to.

44cuse

I'm from Naugatuck, CT which has a 100+ year old rivalry that is one of the oldest in the country with Ansonia. Those games used to routinely draw 10,000+ even when I was in high school in the 90's. They were a pretty big deal to me then and I still went up to maybe junior year of college. So I get the importance. Of course I know that is nothing in comparison say Massilon, OH or some of the ridiculous stadiums they build in Texas.

Do you mean like the Thursday night game that we just played exactly one week ago?
Find me another Thursday where more than 3 games are scheduled. A number of Division 1 teams play week 1 on Thursday for Labor Day purposes. If Syracuse was playing any other Thursday night game they would have the ESPN A-Crew of Rece Davis, Craig James, and Jesse Palmer on the call, and it would be the only game on. The game we played a week ago wasn't the primetime matchup on ESPN and I still don't know why the administration moved the game to Thursday when it wasn't scheduled for television.

Find me another Thursday where more than 3 games are scheduled. A number of Division 1 teams play week 1 on Thursday for Labor Day purposes. If Syracuse was playing any other Thursday night game they would have the ESPN A-Crew of Rece Davis, Craig James, and Jesse Palmer on the call, and it would be the only game on. The game we played a week ago wasn't the primetime matchup on ESPN and I still don't know why the administration moved the game to Thursday when it wasn't scheduled for television.

I know, I got your point, just ribbing you. However, I'm not going to complain about two Friday night games that we play that are going to be on national television. And obviously if other major conferences are following suit with what the Big East has done, then it must not be completely terrible.

You could play a college game Tuesday at 1am and I'll either try to watch it or Tivo it.
Exactly. In college, and even now, it was the best time to go to the bar, knowing there will be a game on. And with the parties, having a pac-10 or WAC or WCC game on was the tits. Being able to sit down and watch any live sport after midnight, especially football, is tremendous.

IMO this was the game that legitimized Thursday night football.

Virginia 33 - Florida State 28
UVa managed to win its share of close games as the 1995 season unfolded, including a 33-28 upset victory over second-ranked and previously unbeaten Florida State. Playing on national television in the first-ever Thursday night game in Charlottesville, Virginia stopped the Seminoles at the goal line on the game's final play to preserve the win. With the victory, the Cavaliers ended FSU's four-year, 29-game winning streak against ACC teams since joining the conference in 1992. Florida State became the highest-ranked team to ever fall to the Cavaliers. Virginia and Florida State were later crowned co-ACC Champions after finishing the season with identical 7-1 conference records.