Thursday | Syracusefan.com

Thursday

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

15419583-mmmain.jpg

SU Frosh WR Jamal Custis is 'As Good As I've Ever Seen a Kid Look as a Freshman' Says SU RB coach DeAndre Smith (PS; Bailey)

DeAndre Smith didn't need to think twice when the Syracuse running backs coach was asked which freshman stood out early in summer workouts on Tuesday.

He had watched the group run 32 110-yard sprints with the rest of the team during its workout on Monday.

"Jamal Custis," Smith said. "Now, I don't know what Rob Moore looked like when he came out of high school, but man, he is as good as I've ever seen a kid look as a freshman. Oh my goodness, he's unbelievable."

Custis is one of four highly touted receivers in the freshman class, down from five now that academically disqualified signee K.J. Williams is set to attend Milford Academy. The 6-foot-6, 215-pound receiver will likely play on the outside, rather than at the Orange's 'Y' tight end/wide receiver hybrid position, Smith said.

Peyton Manning Discussed Post Routes, Watching Film with SU QB Terrel Hunt (PS; Bailey)

One Peyton Manning anecdote resonated clearly with Terrel Huntafter attending Manning Passing Academy this weekend.

Each training camp, Manning takes time out to watch the first-year quarterbacks in the locker room. Usually, they goof around in the locker room. Not necessarily in a negative way, but Manning views it as time that could be better spent working.

And that's what he tells them. An hour spent cracking jokes or catching a nap could be an hour spent watching film.

"That just goes to show that even the greatest still works on his game," Hunt said in an interview on Wednesday. "He doesn't feel like he knows everything. That right there just had me like, 'Woah.'

"Those little things like when you have free time or you think you need to sleep, go watch film or something. Do something extra. That was a cool thing to hear."

13705119-mmmain.jpg

SU Unit Review: Prince-Tyson Gulley Leads Deep Group of Running Backs (PS; Bailey)

When Jerome Smith decided to forego his senior season at Syracuse and enter the 2014 NFL Draft, the Orange's starting running back role fell to Prince-Tyson Gulley.

The senior has put together a strong summer thus far and is expected to earn the most carries in a running back group that includes redshirt sophomores George Morris II and Devante McFarlane — both of whom saw increased playing time toward the end of last season — and thinning senior Adonis Ameen-Moore.

"I really challenged Prince-Tyson to kind of push himself to see where he's at condition wise," SU running backs coach DeAndre Smith said in an interview on Tuesday, "because we're going to play so fast that he needs to find out, I need to find out how long I can leave him in there a particular series, a particular game.

"He's done a great job with that. His weight has been really good. He's stayed healthy throughout. He's having a really good summer."

15417902-mmmain.jpg

MLB Luke Archiniega's Status Uncertain Heading into Training Camp (PS; Mink)

Syracuse senior linebacker Luke Arciniega's status for the start of training camp is uncertain as he continues to recover from offseason hip surgery, linebackers coach Clark Lea said Wednesday.

It will be determined closer to camp whether Arciniega can fully practice or will be limited when camp opens in early August. He missed all of spring practice.

"The week leading up to practice we'll probably sit down with the training staff," Lea said. "I think he is above and beyond where anyone thought he would be. He's been working out and running and doing things with the team and is very much further ahead than we thought."

Even with sophomore Marqez Hodge emerging this offseason as a starter, Syracuse is hoping Arciniega can give it another contributor at middle linebacker.

WR Jerrod West on the Challenges Facing SU's Freshmen Wide Receivers (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse's passing game was lackluster last season, and with few proven options, a group of four highly-touted freshman wide receivers promises to provide a jolt.

It may not come this season.

History says that few true freshmen turn into impact players at receiver in their first season and when Jarrod West listed players capable of making a difference this year, he ticked off veterans instead of new names, indicating he doesn't expect a complete overhaul at the position.

West listed Ashton Broyld, Brisly Estime, Adrian Flemming, Alvin Cornelius and Quinta Funderburk as the players most likely to provide an upgrade this year.

Although Broyld finished as SU's leading receiver and Estime showed moments of electricity, neither invigorated the passing game, leading to hopes that the new crop would provide instant improvement.

15419607-mmmain.jpg

KJ Williams is Latest in List of SU Football Recruits to Attend Milford Academy (PS; Mink)

Milford Academy has been a pipeline for the nearby Syracuse football program for many years, with current contributors Dyshawn Davis, Ashton Broyld, Jeremiah Kobena and Travon Burke all spending time at the New York prep school before enrolling at SU.

K.J. Williams, a 2014 signee who did not qualify academically, will enroll at Milford this fall, a source said, but it remains to be seen if he ever suits up for Syracuse.

KJ Williams to Attend Milford Academy in the Fall (PS; Mink)

K.J. Williams, the wide receiver who signed with Syracuse in February but did not qualify academically for the 2014 season, will enroll at Milford Academy this fall, according to a source.

Williams, a four-star prospect, was one of the highest-rated members of the 2014 recruiting class. He is cousins with current Syracuse players A.J. Long and Jarrod West.

Dyshawn Davis, Ashton Broyld and Jeremiah Kobena all spent time at Milford Academy before enrolling at Syracuse.

ACC Football

13827897-mmmain.jpg

Duke WR Jamison Crowder is one of the Best in the ACC

PS ACC Football Preview: Duke Seeking a Coastal Repeat (PS; Stevens)

2013 record: 10-4 (6-2 ACC)

2013 postseason: Lost to Texas A&M in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Last season without a bowl appearance:2011

Coach: David Cutcliffe (31-44 in six seasons at Duke, 75-73 in 12 seasons overall)

Coordinators: Scottie Montgomery (offense, 1st season), Jim Knowles (defense, 5th season)

All-conference returnees: WR Jamison Crowder (first team), LB Kelby Brown (first team), S Jeremy Cash (first team), G Laken Tomlinson (second team), TE Braxton Deaver (third team), P Will Monday (third team), KR DeVon Edwards (third team), K Ross Martin (honorable mention)

Notable losses: DE Kenny Anunike, CB Ross Cockrell, QB Brandon Connette, T Perry Simmons

Rising name to know: TB Joseph Ajeigbe. Cutcliffe loves the committee approach in the backfield, and there's an opening to complement Shaquille Cleare and Josh Snead after the dismissal of Jela Duncan. Ajiegbe, a redshirt freshman, figures to get a look.

Three preseason questions

1. Can Anthony Boone do everything at quarterback?

College Football

PS College Football Preview/Haiku Fest: Nos. 66-70: Critical Years Coming for UVa and WVU (PS; Stevens)

70. VIRGINIA

Scheduling philosophies differ from school to school, though everyone has to deal with some brush back if they schedule too many chumps.

The problem for a program like Virginia, which has decent but not resounding resources and is stuck in an extended downturn, is that it's better to deal with that sort of complaint than the apathy that comes from a whole lot of losing.

Nothing was likely to save last year's team from a poor offense, but there was no reason for the Cavaliers to schedule Oregon less than a year in advance. Likewise, this year's opener against UCLA has all the trappings of a miserable start to what looks like a make-or-break season for coach Mike London.

There's actually a reasonably decent amount of talent on defense, with safety Anthony Harris and defensive end Eli Harold both possible all-conference players. Of course, the risk/reward nature of any Jon Tenuta-coordinated defense means there's a vulnerability to big plays. That was the case for the Cavaliers last season.

The bigger headaches are on offense, where erratic quarterback play is such a part of the tapestry in Charlottesville that you'd think Thomas Jefferson declared it to be so (it's only been this way for pushing a decade, but it sure seems longer). The two best linemen are gone, the Cavaliers didn't have a 400-yard receiver to return and another new quarterback likely takes over. Virginia should be better, but a brutal opening four weeks (it gets Louisville and Brigham Young in consecutive weeks in September) make it difficult to foresee a winning season.

Virginia in haiku:

It's gotta happen
Hoos will beat Hokies again
Just not this season

67. WEST VIRGINIA

Every year, someone's season basically ends just as it begins. For example, last year it was Connecticut thanks to its opening week loss to Towson. West Virginia's agony could be more spread out, but the opening sequence of Alabama, FCS runner-up Towson, Maryland and Oklahoma figures to be difficult.

The Mountaineers' probably won't get through that stretch at better than 2-2, and even then the bulk of Big 12 play awaits. That hasn't exactly treated West Virginia well in its first two years in the league.

In short, it could be a long year for Dana Holgorsen, the sort of ceaseless, meandering path that ends in a pink slip. It would be the cap to a stunning nosedive for the fourth-year coach, who began his tenure 15-3 and is 6-14 ever since (and yes, the Big 12 move contributed heavily to that reversal).

The Mountaineers' offense didn't regularly produce pinball numbers, but given their losses from 2012 that was to be expected. This year, plenty of skill position guys return, so that area should improve at least a little.

The problem here is an inability to stop anyone, something that was much more glaring last season when West Virginia couldn't just turn to Geno Smith, Tavon Austin and friends to trade touchdowns. There's a(nother) new defensive coordinator, Tony Gibson, and he will have his hands full. Whether the Mountaineers get back to the postseason is directly tied to their ability to occasionally stop opponents, something that rarely happened in the second half of last season.

West Virginia in haiku:

Big 12 dollars? Yay
Not much else to glean so far
At least not that's fun

Thanks, Tom. Life goes on- a cup of coffee, a bagel, and the daily Orangeyes posts, now courtesy of tomcat. I appreciate your adding this extra task to your no-doubt busy daily schedule for as long as you choose to do so.

Last edited:
I've been away and haven't been able to check in in quite some time. I was aware of the situation with Orangeyes and I am going to miss his posts greatly.
Tomcat, I'm an old guy, and I can honestly say that you have handled Dan's passing as well as anybody I've seen who's in a position to report. I really appreciate that you've decided to continue with contributing your time to posting for us alumni and fans.
Two things:
1. Is there anything I can do to help you, either at the board, or perhaps help compensate in some way for your time. I'm in California but I am certainly willing to oversee forums or post from out here. I am also willing to contribute for the continuance of posting. As many fans know, our board is absolutely phenomenal in the amount of information that is shared on a daily basis. I have no idea how Dan did it.
2. Does Dan's family need any assistance? Perhaps we can pass the hat?

I think West should get the nod to start, but boy he better get his sh-- together.

I think West should get the nod to start, but boy he better get his sh-- together.

West has great hands and o.k. speed, we just didn't have any other legit threats to help him get open like the year before. He's not a game changing athlete. At the same time, Hunt was learning on the job and his passing wasn't helping the wideouts a lot of times. I think Hunt and West look better this year though.

orange_in_VA said:
West has great hands and o.k. speed, we just didn't have any other legit threats to help him get open like the year before. He's not a game changing athlete. At the same time, Hunt was learning on the job and his passing wasn't helping the wideouts a lot of times. I think Hunt and West look better this year though.

I wonder if Estime will be enough of a distraction to let West get free a bit more.

I wonder if Estime will be enough of a distraction to let West get free a bit more.

I believe him and Ashton will take more focus off of West this year. They were unknowns before, but now the coaches in the ACC know they have to account for these two.