Ties | Syracusefan.com

Ties

SWC75

Bored Historian
One of the things I've heard is that MLB wants to continue the gimmick of putting a guy on second to determine a winner in extra innings to cut down on the length of games. We've seen an SU basketball game go 6 overtimes. People argue about the college football 'inning' overtime vs. the pro 'sudden death concept.

Hockey long ago came up with an alternative to extending the contest that allowed everybody to get home on time during the regular season. They give 1 point for a tie and 2 points for a win. I'm not a hockey fan so I'm wondering how hockey fans feel about that. When you go to a game and it winds up in a tie but you get a point for that, do you feel satisfied with that result? Would that system work, (for the regular season), in other sports?

My Mets were 1-4 in extra inning games last year and 26-34 overall. They could have had 55 points under the hockey system, (25 wins in regulation and 5 points from ties), I don't know if that would have gotten them into the playoffs but would that have been a better system?

SU football last played a tie game in 1990, when they finished 7-4-2. The ties were consecutive, 23-23 vs. Michigan State and 20-20 to Pittsburgh, (the first game with a turnover on a conversion attempt scoring 2 points at the other end to Coach Mac's bewilderment and consternation). Would we have felt better if we had 16 points including 2 for those ties?

Last year SU basketball beat Virginia and lost to Miami in OT. We beat Buffalo on OT this year. Should those all have been 1 point games for both teams?

Any mechanism that would create ties in major league baseball is sheer madness, in my opinion.

I've grown to be ok with ties. Its firey opponents have become one of the more annoying, meatheady sports takes imo.
CFB OT is obv a joke. I turn games off when regulation ends.
Hockey fans in general I don't think are big fans of the shootout; they know it's a crapshoot. It's fine to me I guess; the loser point is a legit consolation prize. But it ruining historical records with the point system is an unfortunate byproduct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom