TIL - 1929 Syracuse/Cornell | Syracusefan.com

TIL - 1929 Syracuse/Cornell

texascpa

Living Legend
Perusing the Buttgers board, they had a post about Rutgers possible inclusion into the Ivy League in the mid-1900's. Someone posted a 1961 video of Rutgers vs Penn. I found in interesting that the refs were using what looked to be a hand gesture similar to First Down to indicate a Touchdown. So, that set me off to see when referees switched to using the hands over head gesture for TDs. I found an article that stated the usage of consistent, standard hand signals began with a 1929 match between Syracuse and Cornell. Not earth-shattering, but interesting nonetheless. That said, I still can't find when and why they changed the TD hand signal.

upperdeck

Living Legend
some of the old media guides and programs have some of this type of information. I can look thru my collection and see if i can spot it.

SU68

Starter
Perusing the Buttgers board, they had a post about Rutgers possible inclusion into the Ivy League in the mid-1900's. Someone posted a 1961 video of Rutgers vs Penn. I found in interesting that the refs were using what looked to be a hand gesture similar to First Down to indicate a Touchdown. So, that set me off to see when referees switched to using the hands over head gesture for TDs. I found an article that stated the usage of consistent, standard hand signals began with a 1929 match between Syracuse and Cornell. Not earth-shattering, but interesting nonetheless. That said, I still can't find when and why they changed the TD hand signal.
I think that I read several years ago that only the referee could "finalize" the touchdown with the signal used today. The other officials would use the first down-like signal when the ball crossed the goal line which the referee then had to endorse/approve. I can't remember where I read that.