Time to Break The Glass on Patterson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to Break The Glass on Patterson

If you think he is gonna ba a starting 5th yr SR here then sitting him makes sense. But the player needs to buy in too either way.

You don't think they would rather play?
If he doesn’t think he’s going to be allowed to come back next year, I doubt he’ll want to burn his red shirt this far into the season. That’s potentially throwing away a significant amount of development time/potential NIL earnings if he becomes a quality player

isn't the ruling, you can play 30% of your games and still redshirt if injury related? so the 30% come at the
end of the season, not the beginning, in the case of patterson (and westry).

Possibly. Not sure trying to feed Maliq more minutes is a given. I thought he was much more effective coming off the bench backing up 7'4. Can he effectively play 35 minutes a game. Plus, I don't think Maliq figures in when splitting up Benny's minutes. Carey might. Or JT, Bell or Quaddy. Now would be the right time for a little more consistency from one of them.
When Brown came off the bench seven or eight minutes into a game to replace McLeod, he really didn't need to give much thought to pacing himself or foul concerns. As a starter, it's a completely different dynamic, and with little depth behind him now, it will be more of a challenge for him and Red to navigate through games.

Bait GIF

you assume a lot of things. But, you don't assume that if he were ready, Red would already be playing him?
Well right now they only have 8 guys, that's not counting Hima who looks like he has knee problems. And only 2 of them are over 6'6". It's like war, you have a plan and then real battles start and you throw that plan in the garbage and make a new one.

Starting to think the biggest downside to not having Benny is not that JT will get more minutes, but that if Maliq fouls out in a close game I don't think we can win. Benny wasn't good but I'd generally rather him at the 5 with 3 minutes left than Carey. Based on Carey getting big boyed on the boards last night, if he isn't competing, we're going to have to find a way to have Hima play 4-5 minutes, which is a sad state of affairs. I'm in no way, shape or form a Hima advocate as I don't think he belongs, and I know he's injured and can't move etc. But watching Carey get abused last night shows me a team will just hammer him at the end of the game to edge out a win. Hima's gonna need some cortisone shots or something and just stick him in the middle of a zone with his hands up. Either way not good.

Starting to think the biggest downside to not having Benny is not that JT will get more minutes, but that if Maliq fouls out in a close game I don't think we can win. Benny wasn't good but I'd generally rather him at the 5 with 3 minutes left than Carey. Based on Carey getting big boyed on the boards last night, if he isn't competing, we're going to have to find a way to have Hima play 4-5 minutes, which is a sad state of affairs. I'm in no way, shape or form a Hima advocate as I don't think he belongs, and I know he's injured and can't move etc. But watching Carey get abused last night shows me a team will just hammer him at the end of the game to edge out a win. Hima's gonna need some cortisone shots or something and just stick him in the middle of a zone with his hands up. Either way not good.

Shame we couldn't take parts from McLeod and Hima and make one good center.

Not happening. Just like every other prediction you make.
Red better play him and not worry about 4 years from now. 1st time coaches always make these mistakes, he has to win NOW. I do give Red huge credit for dealing with the Williams situation, that had to be a very difficult call to make.

Last edited:
Red better play him and not worry about 4 years now. 1st time coaches always these mistakes, he has to win NOW. I do give Red huge credit for dealing with the Williams situation, that had to be a very difficult call to make.
It took you 5 days to come up with this gobbly gook nonsense?

No way. Don’t waste a kid's redshirt on a lost season. This team is going nowhere fast with or without Patterson.

Last edited:
It took you 5 days to come up with this gobbly gook nonsense?
They lost a winnable game against Clemson the other day because Malik got in foul trouble. Hima is hurt, Carey is hurt. Not hard to figure out that it's a necessary move.

They lost a winnable game against Clemson the other day because Malik got in foul trouble. Hima is hurt, Carey is hurt. Not hard to figure out that it's a necessary move.
Maliq.

Redshirting players is a waste in CBB in today’s world. I he can contribute at all even a few minutes play him. If he is unplayable don’t play him But don’t say you are redshirting him.

Redshirting players is a waste in CBB in today’s world. I he can contribute at all even a few minutes play him. If he is unplayable don’t play him But don’t say you are redshirting him.
Patterson is literally the 5th string center.

He’s going to be happy when he’s a RS Junior and able to transfer (for the first or 2nd time as a grad transfer) and potentially get higher NIL offers. Same with Peter Carey.

Patterson is literally the 5th string center.

He’s going to be happy when he’s a RS Junior and able to transfer (for the first or 2nd time as a grad transfer) and potentially get higher NIL offers. Same with Peter Carey.
He is literally the only back up that isn't injured. When I started this thread I said they should play him a little because Carey of Maliq could get injured and he would have to go in with no minutes at all. You have to play the hand you're dealt.

I'm not that high on Patterson long-term and I still think it's a bad idea. He's not going to impact winning and it sends a message to future recruits that Red will happily set a year of your eligibility on fire in a lost season for nothing in return. Like it or not, that stuff matters now.

I'm not that high on Patterson long-term and I still think it's a bad idea. He's not going to impact winning and it sends a message to future recruits that Red will happily set a year of your eligibility on fire in a lost season for nothing in return. Like it or not, that stuff matters now.
Maliq could not play defense at the end the game the other day because he had 4 fouls. Clemson exploited it and it likely cost the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom