Time to drop Colgate | Syracusefan.com

Time to drop Colgate

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
The ACC will lower our RPI. This Colgate team is about as good as they get. There are plenty of other New York teams that would be a better match than Colgate. How much does a Colgate really help us prepare for a real game like Arkansas?

I mean, even if we played a couple more top 25 games in the non-conference, we'd still have a few awful teams on our schedule. Just the way it is. Indiana played Ball St last night. Does that prepare them for UNC?

it's one game, not a killer.

I am looking at our schedule, Alcorn State is 336 in the Pomeroy rankings, and I'm guessing th eir RPI will end up around there. No reason to play a team like that.

I look forward to thrashing colgate in style every year. Its the one cupcake game I look most forward to.
Love winning BIG.

The ACC will lower our RPI. This Colgate team is about as good as they get. There are plenty of other New York teams that would be a better match than Colgate. How much does a Colgate really help us prepare for a real game like Arkansas?
Drop them and replace them with whom? If we're going to schedule tune-up games, we might as well make them traditional.

Well, let's revisit this once we've beaten them 50 straight times.

Also, I think it does help us. It gives the young guys a chance to play under the lights without any real pressure that we lose. My guess is that Coleman, Cooney and Grant are all better players today than they were yesterday morning.

You only have to worry about RPI when you're on the bubble. No reason to stop playing our oldest rival.

Drop them and replace them with whom? If we're going to schedule tune-up games, we might as well make them traditional.

We might as well keep the $$$ in NY State.

I like the Colgate game. If anything I would drop games like Detroit or Alcorn State and do a home and home with a good but not elite team like Missouri or Memphis.

I like the Colgate game. If anything I would drop games like Detroit or Alcorn State and do a home and home with a good but not elite team like Missouri or Memphis.

Yes to dropping Alcorn, no to dropping Detroit. Detroit is good.

Playing 18 games in the BE more than makes up for playing the Colgates and Wagners of the world. By far...

their low rpi may actually be offset by the addition of colgates advanced mfp.

Boeheim likes giving guarantee games to local teams, keeping the money in the area. (He probably likes the idea of playing an old rival and the school he almost attended, too.)

Colgate's also a better draw than any other mid- or low-major we'll play at the Dome. There are a lot of alumni in Central New York (this guy included) and a number of students usually make the trip (when the game isn't played during a holiday weekend). In my four years with the Red Raiders, the team never failed to max out its free ticket allotment. Understanding that Syracuse wants to play some pretty mediocre schools, I hope we continue this for a long time.

Alcorn State on the other hand, not so much. Though I'm sure the Gotham Classic organizers had a hand in that scheduling move.

As a Colgate grad and SU alum (grad school). I look forward to the game every year. In my undergrad days they were not the blow outs they are today. Having said that, SU is no different than other top 20 programs. They all play their cupcakes. Good opportunity to play the freshman and get a W. I totally endorse keeping Colgate on the schedule.

Playing 18 games in the BE more than makes up for playing the Colgates and Wagners of the world. By far...
I don't think you read the first post

You'll know that college hoops has gone the way of college football -- and that is not a good way -- when Syracuse feels it can no longer schedule an old neighborhood rival like Colgate.

They are not a rival. They are a patsy. There is no semblence of competition and this is one of their best teams!
Next year we will be playing a weak schedule. Home and home with BC. Woopie do.
There are plenty of other NYS teams that would provide better competition and draw better. Facts are facts - less than 20,000 people attended. I am all for traditional rivalries. Colgate is not a rival.

I love crushing teams by 50. Its fun and gets your hopes up.
If we won every game by less then 15 points it wouldn't be NEARLY as much fun.

They are not a rival. They are a patsy. There is no semblence of competition and this is one of their best teams!
Next year we will be playing a weak schedule. Home and home with BC. Woopie do.
There are plenty of other NYS teams that would provide better competition and draw better. Facts are facts - less than 20,000 people attended. I am all for traditional rivalries. Colgate is not a rival.

Out of curiosity, what other New York team would draw better on the Sunday after Thanksgiving?

Also, a bit early to say that this is one of Colgate's best teams. I don't think they'll be the best Colgate team of the past decade, and it has not been a successful decade.

Not a good idea. It's a fun local matchup. An easy game after the holidays. It's a classy thing to do too.

Not a good idea. It's a fun local matchup. An easy game after the holidays. It's a classy thing to do too.

This...very easy game...it gives Cuse extreme flexibility too. Colgate is 50 mins by bus and can come just about anytime. I'd say we not only schedule them in BB but we ought to make them a traditional 1AA team on our FB schedule. Play them in week 1 or 2 every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom