Time to drop Colgate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to drop Colgate

Out of curiosity, what other New York team would draw better on the Sunday after Thanksgiving?

Also, a bit early to say that this is one of Colgate's best teams. I don't think they'll be the best Colgate team of the past decade, and it has not been a successful decade.
Buffalo or Cornell, maybe even Binghamton forbetter attendance. Siena, Canisious, Albany, LIU, Stony Brook Manhattan, Hofstra are all generally better than Colgate. Occasionally, some of these other schools field a decent team, NCAA bubble or automatic bid, Colgate, not so much. Colgate is the same doormat year after year after year. If proximity is the criteria go for St Bonaventure.

Buffalo or Cornell, maybe even Binghamton forbetter attendance. Siena, Canisious, Albany, LIU, Stony Brook Manhattan, Hofstra are all generally better than Colgate. Occasionally, some of these other schools field a decent team, NCAA bubble or automatic bid, Colgate, not so much. Colgate is the same doormat year after year after year.

Cornell is probably the best draw of all. Larger school than Colgate and a pretty big alumni population in the region. Buffalo didn't draw very well in Syracuse in the past 15 years; I don't know if we've ever played Binghamton in the Dome.

Colgate has been bad for some time now. Played a very competitive game in 2004-2005 against a sleepy Syracuse team (coached by a very frustrated Boeheim). Don't know that that matters, as long as they need the money (the athletic department does, though the basketball program has not always been thrilled with being sent on the annual 37-mile journey to the slaughterhouse) and Syracuse needs the opponent.

It's a mutually-beneficial arrangement; other than a couple fans on here, I'm not sure that there's anything problematic about it. It's not like our scheduling of Colgate is the only thing preventing Syracuse from scheduling a better New York team. If Boeheim wanted to play Stony Brook, trust me, Boeheim would be playing Stony Brook.

We played Binghamton.

I remember because it was in 2002, Carmelo went up for a dunk, came down awkwardly and fell to the ground in pain. I htink he rolled his ankle or something.

I never heard the Dome so quiet.

We played Binghamton.

I remember because it was in 2002, Carmelo went up for a dunk, came down awkwardly and fell to the ground in pain. I htink he rolled his ankle or something.

I never heard the Dome so quiet.

Good memory. Looks like we've played them four times (and I assume each was in the Dome).

Edit: we must've thrown them a bone after they decided to become a Division I program - we played them four years in a row.

18 November 2001 (17,262); 14 December 2002 (19,770); 13 December 2003 (21,383); and 11 December 2004 (21,236). At least two of those (2001 and 2004) were weekend games. Probably can't draw too many conclusions across different seasons, but the announced attendance at those last two games is about even with what Colgate drew on Sunday.

Cornell is probably the best draw of all. Larger school than Colgate and a pretty big alumni population in the region. Buffalo didn't draw very well in Syracuse in the past 15 years; I don't know if we've ever played Binghamton in the Dome.

Colgate has been bad for some time now. Played a very competitive game in 2004-2005 against a sleepy Syracuse team (coached by a very frustrated Boeheim). Don't know that that matters, as long as they need the money (the athletic department does, though the basketball program has not always been thrilled with being sent on the annual 37-mile journey to the slaughterhouse) and Syracuse needs the opponent.

It's a mutually-beneficial arrangement; other than a couple fans on here, I'm not sure that there's anything problematic about it. It's not like our scheduling of Colgate is the only thing preventing Syracuse from scheduling a better New York team. If Boeheim wanted to play Stony Brook, trust me, Boeheim would be playing Stony Brook.

Played Binghamton in the 01-02 year before that team fell apart. Was funny, at one point late in the first half Shumpert had more points than Binghamton. That must have been one of their first years in D1.

Played Binghamton in the 01-02 year before that team fell apart. Was funny, at one point late in the first half Shumpert had more points than Binghamton. That must have been one of their first years in D1.

Yep, the very first season.

This was the period when the team was just kind of quietly disgusted with one another, before things shifted into open warfare. Wonderful season.

Playing 18 games in the BE more than makes up for playing the Colgates and Wagners of the world. By far...

But playing them doesn't make us better. A few is okay, but our non conference is bad.

But playing them doesn't make us better. A few is okay, but our non conference is bad.

The same argument could be said that your conference games if you played in the SEC are bad, too. Besides UK, Florida and Ark.

My point is the strength of the BE balances out the cupcakes we play at the beginning of the year. It is still more difficult than, or at least on par with, another team's SOS who plays in the SEC and schedules tougher OOC teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom