Time To Exorcise Some Demons... | Syracusefan.com

Time To Exorcise Some Demons...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
...which tourney game hurts the most? Let's get some bad JuJu out of here before the tourney starts.

For me, it's easily 2005 Vermont.

I was watching that game with my 90 year old grandfather in Florida, which was shaping up to be such a special experience because he coached basketball at Kent State in the 40's and Case Western Reserve in the 50's. He was such a teacher of the game. Never forgot the sadness I felt that this would probably be the only big time SU game we'd be able to watch together.

Gus Johnson still haunts my dreams... "Sorrentine from the PARKING LOT!"

Last edited:
Maybe because it's still fresh in my mind, but Vermont seems the most painful.

At the time, Richmond, UMass, and Arkansas really crushed me. That's worn off a little. Less so for Arkansas, I guess.

Dude... not today.

The way I see it, if you clear your mind of negative thoughts and leave maximum room for positive thought about the team's chances, you'll enjoy the day and the tourney that much more. That's why I want to flush this out of my system now. It's cathartic to think about it briefly and then let it go as each tourney starts.

To each his own.

...which tourney game hurts the most? Let's get some bad JuJu out of here before the tourney starts.

For me, it's easily 2005 Vermont.

I was watching that game with my 90 year old grandfather in Florida, which was shaping up to be such a special experience because he coached basketball at Kent State in the 40's and Case Western Reserve in the 50's. He was such a teacher of the game. Never forgot the sadness I felt that this would probably be the only big time SU game we'd be able to watch together.

Gus Johnson still haunts my dreams... "Sorrentine from the PARKING LOT!"

I went to the airport hours early to watch the cuse-vermont game. Watched it at a bar just outside of the gate to syracuse.

For awhile they never switched it (the god awful days of only on cbs) because Duke never increased its lead over 20 (the barometer to switch games).

NOBODY cared about the game except for me... keep in mind we are 30 feet from the gate flying to cuse!

As it went into OT. They began the preboarding for the flight. I was freaking out but kept saying (the best team always wins in ot - no idea why i kept repeating that, but i did). When Sorrentine hit that shot, i knew it was over. It was a dagger to my heart.

I got on the flight and sat in the last row on the plane. It was a md 88 so there were no windows. I had the row to myself. I was the last person to board because i was the only person to care to watch OT. As I sat down, I said to myself... and I quote: "I don't even care if this plane goes down"

One game that kind of bothered was Texas A&M after Gerry's run in the Garden. We just totally laid an egg.

Definitely Indiana '87. If only Monroe dished it on that 3 on 1 with us up 52-44 instead of bricking that 3, we would have run them out of the building. Then just watching that lead fritter away because we played their game instead of ours...ARG!!!

In order (I had not gone to SU yet in 1987): Butler, Vermont, Arkansas, Ohio State/Michigan (it's like they were the same game)

In order (I had not gone to SU yet in 1987): Butler, Vermont, Arkansas, Ohio State/Michigan (it's like they were the same game)
OSU was way more frustrating

For me it was probably Richmond. We were the first 15 to lose to a 2 and it was the end of that golden era of the 80's. If I was just a bit older it probably would've been Indiana in '87, but I wasn't emotionally invested in the team yet.

"ssssssssssssssssssssssss.... OH MY GOODNESS"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom