Time to move on | Syracusefan.com

Time to move on

ottodaorange

Starter
Doug Marrone is done. Stick a fork in him and wish him well. He is a rough and tumble guy, stubborn, but was the right guy to set the ship right and begin the next phase in our reclaimation. I think he made the correct decision for an upward mobile member of his profession, but handled his departure poorly. His continued silence doesn't help his cause either.

But it is time to move on and everything considered I think Nat Hackett is the logical replacement. It is obvious to me that Doug groomed him to be a head coach and replacement. He had as much if not more of an imprint on the no huddle offense as Doug. So if Gross has a brain in his head and wants to continue the process he names Hackett.

The second step in the process is Hackett retaining the core group of coaches presently on staff. I think there is a priority of who needs to stay, although probably everyone will be welcomed back except a vacany created by Marrone's departure. To me, I believe that the most important staff member needed to return is Scott Shafer. His attacking defense is perhaps the most important contribution to the rennaisance over the past 4 years.

Secondly, Greg Adkins needs to be retained as recruiting coordinator, chiefly for the new recuiting areas he has opened up,( Georgia, Texas etc)... and he also knows his way around an offensive line, which is a critical need on any team.

Third would be Rob Moore, a former Syracuse star, NFL great and good coach/recruiter.

Fourth would be Wheatley for much the same reasons as Moore plus he has opened Michigan and possibly the mid west as a recruiting area. He's also seems to be a good coach and has got results.

The rest can stay but I think the outstanding need is to hire someone for special teams and tight
ends depending on who stays/goes.

I have a hunch that Hackett would go more national in recruiting also. We get continuity in the process and might even be better positioned for the future.

One more crazy idea... would there be room on staff for Green?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom