Time to Roll... | Syracusefan.com

Time to Roll...

Louie&Bouie

Scout Team
It's time...Rutgers week is finally upon us. While our over-all record of 29-10-1 against them doesn't suggest much of a rivalry, the events that have unfolded over the last 10 days or so have made us want this game even more. Let the momentum continue as our proud program moves forward, while they continue their death spiral into obscurity...

The disparities between these two programs are vast. Entering this season, Syracuse has an overall record of 684-481-49 (.584). Rutgers is 599-590-4 (.504). Syracuse has an overall bowl record of 12-9-1. Rutgers has played in six bowl games. Who the f**k cares what your bowl record is when the biggest bowl you've ever participated in is the PapaJohns.com bowl...thank God those fools will never have to interrupt their New Year's vacation to the Catskills to make alternative plans.

You clowns want to talk players? We have a heisman. We have 42 All-Americans. We have 15 members of the College Football Hall of Fame. We have 7 members of the NFL Hall of Fame. Names like Brown, Monk, Green, Freeney, Harrison, Csonka, Morris, Little, McNabb, Graves, Johnston, and of course, Davis. Legends whose mere mention doesn't require a first name to evoke an image. We'll give you Mike Teel, Ray Rice, and Brian Leonard. Congratulations. You guys are the stripper working the noon to four shift. The stretch marks haven't disappeared. We're at the Crazy Horse II. In Vegas.

Greg Schiano? Your career record entering 2011 is 59-56 (.513). When you go to the dentist's, does he/she use a tuning fork to floss your front teeth?

Is that you, Kenny?

Well, no point in trying to top that post the rest of this week. Sums up all my feelings about that institution's football program.

Rutgers week
Are you Fing kidding me. Have we sunk that low?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Agreed, who gives a f about rutgers. Just another bs new big east game, same since 2004

either way its a big damn game, for regional purposes, fan base spew and our ultimate goal of winning the big east. I for one am ready for rutgers week.

Rutgers week
Are you Fing kidding me. Have we sunk that low?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
I would say it has become a fun little fan rivalry. It can pretty much only be called that at this point.

There's no such thing as Rutgers week. There's only the week we play Rutgers.

We don't really have a rivalry with WVU anymore. The schwarzwalder trophy isn't really relevant anymore.

Rutgers is the team that most SU fans hate in our conference. They compete with us for recruits in NYS and NJ so I would consider them a rival. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

Times change, let's just hope Marrone goes 3-0 against Shady.

We don't really have a rivalry with WVU anymore. The schwarzwalder trophy isn't really relevant anymore.

Rutgers is the team that most SU fans hate in our conference. They compete with us for recruits in NYS and NJ so I would consider them a rival. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

Completely not true outside of the internet. Go ask 10 people who don't use any forums and they will say our biggest conference games are WVU and Pitt (maybe a UConn will be tossed in because of the bball factor). I did that at work one time about a year ago.

Completely not true outside of the internet. Go ask 10 people who don't use any forums and they will say our biggest conference games are WVU and Pitt (maybe a UConn will be tossed in because of the bball factor). I did that at work one time about a year ago.
Agreed. Playing Rutgers is like playing another MAC team except it became a conference game a few years ago. It's like Northwestern or Indiana in the B10. They are no one's "week". Beating Rutgers is not a big win, it is an expected win. I will however agree that, due to all the reasons some believe it is a big game, a loss to Rutgers is a big loss.

Rivalries require that you at least have some amount of respect for the opponent. Virginia Tech cheated and played felons to get to the top...but I could at least respect that they backed up their talk with their play. West Virginia and Pitt are rivals...when I went to a game at WVU the fans were legitimately pissed that Syracuse was terrible and told me they couldn't wait for Syracuse to be good again so we'd be worth the effort to hate. Rutgers is the little brother whose ass you've kicked from here to LA that insists in spite of the lopsided beat downs he's taken that he's still better than you. Rutgers isn't a rival, it's an annoying little pest. If we've slid so far down that a program that thinks they won a football championship on a midseason Thursday night in 2006 is our rival, God help us.

We need to stop competing with them for recruits; if we're not winning the recruiting battles 95% of the time and leaving them with the flotsam and jetsam they've normally gotten, we're not going to be competing for - never mind winning - any championships in the ACC.

They (non-posters) don't see how much we actually do compete with Rutgers for recruiting because they just look in the newspaper at the box score. WVU and Pitt were such great rivalries over the years that people still have the rivalry taste in their mouth. If anything, Pitt would still be considered a big rival for us.

Do we have a long history of tight games with them? No.

Rutgers has done a good job growing their fan base. I was in NYC last weekend, and saw more "R" crap than I did "S" stuff. That really pissed me off. They have probably taken some of our soft fans down there, who just rooted for Syracuse because Rutgers sucked so bad for so long that they didn't have anyone else to cheer for. This is becoming more of an important game versus a "MAC" caliber game. Rutgers might still be our little brother, but little brothers grow up too. I am not trying to make them look like our main rival because they aren't. What I am trying to say is that nobody wants to admit that this game is a big game on the schedule every year now. It has an impact on recruiting, and you cannot disagree with that. We don't compete for as many recruits with WVU.

This is how I rank our opponents in terms of importance (all factors included):

Pitt
WVU
Rutgers
USF
UConn
Cincy
LVille

This is how I rank our opponents in terms of importance (all factors included):

Pitt
WVU
Rutgers
USF
UConn
Cincy
LVille

UConn had a chance to jump up the list if Edsall stayed at coach. With my hatred for their hoops team, and dislike for Edsall I was ready to hate UConn. Now with P there I dont really no how to feel in regards to their football team.

For me I'd flip WVU and Pitt at the top as far as teams I'd most like to beat.

As for Rutgers being a rival... the amount of fans in the seats will tell the story of if its more than an internet thing. Looks like I will be able to make the trip up this week but wouldve liked to make the Toledo trip just as much. It's a conference game so it matters more, but it's the same as going to see L'ville to me at this point. Cinci's offense at least brings a better product to the dome from the fans view point.

Greg Schiano? Your career record entering 2011 is 59-56 (.513). When you go to the dentist's, does he/she use a tuning fork to floss your front teeth?[/quote]

Schiano's career record is 61-64(.488) your too generous he wishes he was over .500 then he could sell your going to win a NC title at RU and not have the recruits say your not even a .500 coach.

While I agree that this game is one that we should expect to win, it is also a crucial game from both a reputation and recruiting perspective. To say that this week doesn't carry any weight or meaning is ridiculous.

A favorite saying of mine...

We're screwing this cow. Rutgers is just holding the tail.

totally agree and would add b.c. and psu in the mix for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom