Time to shake things up especially against Virginia at home | Syracusefan.com

Time to shake things up especially against Virginia at home

Dave85

Living Legend
I would like to see JB do something completely against his nature. I would like to see JB start the game with Virginia playing man-to-man. I have three reasons. First, it will warm up our players who have been started out slow on defense. Second, in years past, our players perk up and play extra hard when playing man to try to prove a point that it's worth doing from time to time. And third, Virginia would completely not expect it and it would shake up their game plan. And then switch the defense to the 2-3 zone after the first few baskets. My hope is this would prevent the early 10 point lead by the opposing team.

I know it's kind of pointless to suggest playing man but I just can't help it. I've been an Orange fan for 43 years since the Leo Rautins era. You would think I would learn not to talk about this topic.

Here's JB's argument about solely playing 2-3 zone from this article:

"The short history of our zone is we started out as a man-to-man team with some zone and over the years our zone got better, but we still played man,'' Boeheim said. "The problem when you play man, you have to spend an hour on your man defense every day and when you play your preseason games, your non-conference games, if you're playing man your zone isn't getting better.''

"So finally it dawned on me,'' said Boeheim, "after about 27 or 28 years, finally, takes me a while, that if we played zone all the time and didn't waste time playing man to man and put some wrinkles in the zone because we had more time to practice it, that our defense would be better.''

Here's my favorite quote from JB on play zone: "When a man-to-man coach is getting beat, he tells his team to play defense better, he doesn't switch to a zone"

I would like to see JB do something completely against his nature. I would like to see JB start the game with Virginia playing man-to-man. I have three reasons. First, it will warm up our players who have been started out slow on defense. Second, in years past, our players perk up and play extra hard when playing man to try to prove a point that it's worth doing from time to time. And third, Virginia would completely not expect it and it would shake up their game plan. And then switch the defense to the 2-3 zone after the first few baskets. My hope is this would prevent the early 10 point lead by the opposing team.

I know it's kind of pointless to suggest playing man but I just can't help it. I've been an Orange fan for 43 years since the Leo Rautins era. You would think I would learn not to talk about this topic.

Here's JB's argument about solely playing 2-3 zone from this article:

"The short history of our zone is we started out as a man-to-man team with some zone and over the years our zone got better, but we still played man,'' Boeheim said. "The problem when you play man, you have to spend an hour on your man defense every day and when you play your preseason games, your non-conference games, if you're playing man your zone isn't getting better.''

"So finally it dawned on me,'' said Boeheim, "after about 27 or 28 years, finally, takes me a while, that if we played zone all the time and didn't waste time playing man to man and put some wrinkles in the zone because we had more time to practice it, that our defense would be better.''

Here's my favorite quote from JB on play zone: "When a man-to-man coach is getting beat, he tells his team to play defense better, he doesn't switch to a zone"
Do this and change the starting lineup and 100%

I wish JB would mix in some triangle and two defense. Play Beekman and Franklin man with Mintz at the top of the triangle and Benny and Jesse at the bottom. If they add more shooters go back to regular zone. You need to get Virginia uncomfortable. Bring Hima in and press a little. Use Bell and Joe defending the two shooters. If they start screening the shooters on the wing have Mintz switch and then Joe or Chris play the top of the triangle and vice versa. It was pretty successful against Duke in the ACC tournament last year. I don’t think we can play straight zone against them. They pick it apart and start knocking down threes.

Just going with your third reason alone is enough. We allow teams to get more comfortable than they should at times. That part is frustrating - don't even get me started with consistent deficits to start games over and over.

I say we start the game with the press. If Virginia is consistent at one thing, it’s crapping their pants against full court pressure. Let’s get out to a lead early.
But that part comes later, you have to follow the Hulk Hogan script.

He’s a reasonable guy, I’m sure if someone calls in a suggests it tonight he will make it happen come Monday
Probably the best way to go about it is have a reporter from the student publication bring it up to him

I say we start the game with the press. If Virginia is consistent at one thing, it’s crapping their pants against full court pressure. Let’s get out to a lead early.
I’ve attended 5 UVA games this year and agree with you. They don’t like pressure.

Would love to see us start with the press. It can’t be any worse than trailing 12-3 every game in our highly predictable zone.

Ask him if the triple overtime loss to East Rochester in high school was the most devastating loss he is associated with. The largest crowd to ever watch a Section 5 game to date. Even worse than the Keith Smart loss. I know the answer…….

I’ve attended 5 UVA games this year and agree with you. They don’t like pressure.

Would love to see us start with the press. It can’t be any worse than trailing 12-3 every game in our highly predictable zone.
I’m sure JB is worried that Jesse could pick up a couple of cheap fouls. He might want to press with Hima in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom