Time to start being smarter, not tougher | Syracusefan.com

Time to start being smarter, not tougher

I don't trust the kicker. Maybe we make 1/2.

Second one we had 7 to gain which was too much had to kick there but it's 13 vs 10.

Also had a good stand after the big play.

I want the points too, but it did force a young QB to go 95 yards. It was a big stop at the end holding them to a field goal.
Outside of the Dome with McCord not kicking field goals is understandable you just need to make sure to get a 7 somewhere off the gambling.

Take the two field goals in the first and fourth quarter that were chip shots, play for a field goal rather than taking the sack on the one that we missed and we are up 30-14 or 33-14 with nothing to worry about. I hope Fran learned his lesson.

also, please stop with the 3 man rush!!!
We cant kick for . It was 50/50 honestly.

If Fran knew his defense was going to miss 4 tackles on one play, he would have kicked the field goal.

I was impressed by the one tacking attempt where it looked like a dolphin swimming at the guys knees. I think his wrists were chained to his belt, ffs.

If Fran knew his defense was going to miss 4 tackles on one play, he would have kicked the field goal.
I think by now the analytics should probably be telling Fran that the D will find a way to give up a quick score. It’s almost like we have movie actors out there sometimes pretending to tackle.

Just watched Ole Miss Kicker make nearly a 60 yard field goal…. And we don’t want our guy kicking from half the distance it feels

Kicker aside, Fran is an analytics guy. Math is telling you to go for it at the end there
I’m an analytics guy by trade. But I’m deeply skeptical of football analytics. The sample sizes don’t lend themselves to playing things out the way they do in baseball and hoops.

Take the two field goals in the first and fourth quarter that were chip shots, play for a field goal rather than taking the sack on the one that we missed and we are up 30-14 or 33-14 with nothing to worry about. I hope Fran learned his lesson.

also, please stop with the 3 man rush!!!
I agree with you, but let’s not forget we got 7 on a 4th down Instead of kicking.

It’s clear they don’t trust the kicker
/specials which is understandable
I totally get it with a 40 yard field goal, but we were talking about two of them being not much different than extra points. And another that would’ve been maybe 30 yards. Everything about the trajectory of Oh‘s ball and his mechanics looks just fine for shorter field goals. Did not feel the same about Brady.

You score once and it is a point better than 2 field goals. It's also about field position. I think he made the correct decision both times.

I totally get it with a 40 yard field goal, but we were talking about two of them being not much different than extra points. And another that would’ve been maybe 30 yards. Everything about the trajectory of Oh‘s ball and his mechanics looks just fine for shorter field goals. Did not feel the same about Brady.

Yep. I thought the one he missed was a bad snap to, threw off the timing.

I agree with you, but let’s not forget we got 7 on a 4th down Instead of kicking.
Agree with that, but that was an absolutely pinpoint pass that was at best a well covered 50-50 play. If we take all the chip shot field goals, including that one, it’s 29 to 14. To me it just falls under the category of “don’t beat yourself”. Which like Georgia Tech, we came dangerously close to doing in games we were dominating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom