Timing of our prior coaching searches? | Syracusefan.com

Timing of our prior coaching searches?

swish7

All Conference
At what points do we historically fire the prior guy, and hire the new guy?

I don't recall us being early to the process, and recall for at least one we were late to it.

It’s surprising to fire a coach with more than 2 weeks to go simply because you can’t replace them, change schemes and culture mid season. So you announce it late season and have feelers out for the next coach who sometimes wants to finish out his run with his current team. That’s why I don’t buy in to the urgency to fire Dino now unless his replacement is on staff already.

GRob was gone Nov 16, 2008, before we played ND and Cinci.

HCSS was gone Nov 23, 2015, before we played BC.

Coach P was let go after the bowl game (bet XMas and New Years).

Dougie quit on Jan 6.

Last edited:
After P extremely late, at that point should have gave him one more year. Would have held onto Ray Rice and Courtney Greene, who knows what would have happened after that.

GRob was late season, so early there though kept him around a year too long - so late in that sense

Doug was late and he gutted the staff - then Gross panicked and promoted Scott over Hackett to keep things internal.

Shafer was standard to industry if I remember right.

Dino will be in three or four weeks if things continue trending the way they are.

Last edited:
Got to wonder where things stand not only with John, but also Kent in the eyes of the Board?

It's not like the school is tearing it up academically either

I am assuming that if we crap the bed in the next two games, a "change of leadership" will be announced after the Pitt game, with Dino and staff playing out the string.
If Friday is as bad as last Thursday then Dino will be out before the Pitt game.

Once he's given the word, I also don't see Dino on the sideline going forward. Rocky will ride it out as interim HC.

But who will coach the bowl game?

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Got to wonder where things stand not only with John, but also Kent in the eyes of the Board?

I think Kent is nearing the end of his shelf life. The veteran’s programs are the only really strong accomplishment.

I think Kent is nearing the end of his shelf life. The veteran’s programs are the only really strong accomplishment.
Nancy was here around 10 years.

Kent is 67 and has been here nearly ten years.

I think John still has some rope and leeway, due to fundraising and relation, as well as some success in the Olympics sports programs. But he really needs mens lax to turn it around and needs Red to come out strong in hoops.

I think John still has some rope and leeway, due to fundraising and relation, as well as some success in the Olympics sports programs. But he really needs mens lax to turn it around and needs Red to come out strong in hoops.
Fwiw law school dean is leaving after this year. These are not usually lifer jobs anymore.

John has Gait in place to turn Lax around and Red is off to a strong start with JJ, Cuffe, McLeod, Westry, and Mintz opting to return. Not sure what more you can ask. Has to translate to W/L but rope and leeway for sure.

Fixing football - not going to happen soon.

I dont think you can really do anything until bowl game is gone out of the equation no matter how bad it goes the next 2 weeks.

SU is not firing a 7 win bowl win team coach.

I dont think you can really do anything until bowl game is gone out of the equation no matter how bad it goes the next 2 weeks.

The second we are not bowl eligible, JW pulls the trigger

After P extremely late, at that point should have gave him one more year. Would have held onto Ray Rice and Courtney Greene, who knows what would have happened after that.

GRob was late season, so early there though kept him around a year too long - so late in that sense

Doug was late and he gutted the staff - then Gross panicked and promoted Scott over Hackett to keep things internal.

Shafer was standard to industry if I remember right.

Dino will be in three or four weeks if things continue trending the way they are.
Thx for that info!

I’m more worried about the six win coach who we know is not the answer. I don’t see two more wins to be honest but that’s the scenario that scares me. I’m resigned to being stuck with him if he wins 7.

Would like to see them both go, especially the latter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom