Tino: women can 3 all day long | Syracusefan.com

Tino: women can 3 all day long

tino

Walk On
Watching the women play was amazing. I have one question if someone can answer. How can they be so proficient at making 3's and the men cannot . Is it a practice thing, Is it a physiological thing. Im sure the men practice shooting the 3's as much as the ladies.

In the coed 3 pt shooting contests, do they still have the size difference? If they do, it must be a little tricky to do without drawing attention to the fact. I haven't paid close enough attention. I did just see a tie between a male and female, though.

Statistically speaking, across the entire NCAA, men shot it a touch better from deep this season.

Not to diminish anything the women are doing, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this tournament.

EDIT: If this is specific to Syracuse, the men shot significantly better from deep than the women this year... 36% to 29.8%.

Last edited:
tino said:
Watching the women play was amazing. I have one question if someone can answer. How can they be so proficient at making 3's and the men cannot . Is it a practice thing, Is it a physiological thing. Im sure the men practice shooting the 3's as much as the ladies.

They are good shooters?

Overall, they get much better looks at the basket. They have more time to get their shot off.

more time and almost no worry about getting it blocked, the girls do a better job of worrying just about the shot and less about getting the shot off.

The women's team is a terrible 3pt shooting team. They are under 30% for the season. They make up for their poor shooting %'s by playing fast, getting more shots off, forcing TO's into easy offense and rebounding a ton of their misses.

The women's team is a terrible 3pt shooting team. They are under 30% for the season. They make up for their poor shooting %'s by playing fast, getting more shots off, forcing TO's into easy offense and rebounding a ton of their misses.
Good is 33%. They are 29%. Not great, but not "terrible" either.

33% from 3 yields the same points as 50% from 2.

50% from 2 is pretty bad as well but this is college I guess so we can't have high hopes

Maybe players under 5'11" are just better jump shooters making 3's because that's the only way than can succeed in the game.

They have been playing well and they are fun to watch. That said, they have their work cut out to beat UConn.

Good is 33%. They are 29%. Not great, but not "terrible" either.

33% from 3 yields the same points as 50% from 2.

I think terrible is a fairly accurate description for 234th in the country.

I think terrible is a fairly accurate description for 234th in the country.

What's the point here? They are in the finals and playing well. Let's enjoy this.

Smaller ball, same size hoop.

Uggh - try it then. Besides the point, it was men who changed the rule on the size of the ball women use. When playing in college in the 70's, we used the same ball as men. Women also ran their own league (AIAW) from 1972 which had their own tournament, rules (including a shot clock well before men). Then the men decided to take over in 1982 and have women's collegiate sports under the same auspices as men under the beloved NCAA. They then determined in order to make money off the sport, to change the size of the basketball so it would be a more attractive game to the men hoping women could then dunk.

Forget that centers in womens basketball are the equivalent of men's guards (SU's are usually taller) it should be a non issue but it was men who forced women to use the smaller ball and for women who played during that transition , it wasn't that easy either.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1744

Above is a link to the history of the AIAW vs NCAA

Jasoncuse said:

It's interesting. I actually think they are better than their pct indicates. Q tells them to chuck it. I think under a more restrictive coaching staff, they'd limit their attempts to more makeable attempts.

Uggh - try it then. Besides the point, it was men who changed the rule on the size of the ball women use. When playing in college in the 70's, we used the same ball as men. Women also ran their own league (AIAW) from 1972 which had their own tournament, rules (including a shot clock well before men). Then the men decided to take over in 1982 and have women's collegiate sports under the same auspices as men under the beloved NCAA. They then determined in order to make money off the sport, to change the size of the basketball so it would be a more attractive game to the men hoping women could then dunk.

Forget that centers in womens basketball are the equivalent of men's guards (SU's are usually taller) it should be a non issue but it was men who forced women to use the smaller ball and for women who played during that transition , it wasn't that easy either.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1744

Above is a link to the history of the AIAW vs NCAA
Whoah! Easy Cherie, you're misinterpreting my statement and spinning it in a negative which was not my intent.

All I was saying is that given men and women both have the same ability to shoot from distance (and there is no evidence that I see to the contrary), then one would expect a smaller ball to drop in the hoop at a higher rate than a larger ball. On a normal distribution, shots on the tails of the distribution that would rim out with a men's ball should drop through unimpeded with a women's ball.

In no way was what I was saying intended to be a knock on women's abilities or women's basketball.

Edit: my only knock on women is their lack of embracing the pee trough.

Its amazing how many people do not know this.

Probably the same people who don't know the history of why and that college women have had a 30 second shot clock from 1970 and college men took till 2015 to adopt it. :D

Probably the same people who don't know the history of why and that college women have had a 30 second shot clock from 1970 and college men took till 2015 to adopt it. :D

I'm not knocking the ladies. Its just a fact that the ball the women use is smaller and thus the shot can be off center more than it could with a larger ball and still go through. I think this is simply one of the reasons however as the women's game has seemed to stress shooting much more than the men's. Thankfully the NBA of late seems to be stressing shooting again and thus the college men's game will follow. Obviously there are some style differences as well. The reason why the ball is smaller doesn't change the fact that it is smaller and thus to an extent easier to put through the hoop however marginal that difference may be.

BTW, thanks for the history lesson as I didn't know any of that and its always good to learn. My 7 year old daughter started bball over this last winter so I'm trying to advance my knowledge when it comes to women's hoops. I'll be watching the Orange tomorrow and cheering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom