Tire out the zone tactic | Syracusefan.com

Tire out the zone tactic

Caboose

Scout Team
At times Wake was effectively rotating the ball around the perimeter and getting our guys to frantically run to their spots until finally a shooter got an open look from the perimeter. Luckily they were missing. This in my opinion has been the most damaging way to attack the zone this year. It tires our guys out and ultimately leads to an open shot if done effectively. You can see it start to develop and once the perimeter passing rhythm gets under way you feel helpless watching it because you know it's going to lead to an open look. Ultimately one of our guards or wings collapses too far then boom there's the open shooter.

I hope our guys can get that under control so teams don't get wide open looks. Dolezaj closed out great on one play and got the block. Having that length on the wings certainly helps.

It's especially tough to maintain perimeter coverage when some of the passes go inside and then back out. Wake did a nice job with ball movement, although they turned it over a few times trying to do that. Most average or below average college teams can't execute that very often without turning it over.

It's especially tough to maintain perimeter coverage when some of the passes go inside and then back out. Wake did a nice job with ball movement, although they turned it over a few times trying to do that. Most average or below average college teams can't execute that very often without turning it over.
UNC certainly can. Yikes. :confused:

I thought for most of last night the zone was really bad. In the first half, Wake was getting a ton of open looks but couldn't hit anything. We allow so many open wing/corner 3 attempts, that we are extremely lucky when teams miss.

Wake consistently got the ball to the middle in order to swing the ball opposite. UNC will do that, and will certainly attacking PC in the paint. Our guards have to prevent them from getting the ball to the logo. If we can't do that, we have no shot IMO.

I thought for most of last night the zone was really bad. In the first half, Wake was getting a ton of open looks but couldn't hit anything. We allow so many open wing/corner 3 attempts, that we are extremely lucky when teams miss.

Wake consistently got the ball to the middle in order to swing the ball opposite. UNC will do that, and will certainly attacking PC in the paint. Our guards have to prevent them from getting the ball to the logo. If we can't do that, we have no shot IMO.
Well said. I also agree with the earlier post where it can sometimes lead to a turnover, but not often enough. Usually they end up with a clean look. We did see Wake end up w a bunch of clean looks that they fortunately missed on, but it's a crap shoot and one night a team will get hot and that's when we get burned. No doubt the neutral court atmosphere screwed with their heads last night and they just couldn't solve their depth perception problems in that arena.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom