To put it in perspective... | Syracusefan.com

To put it in perspective...

acusefan44

Walk On
I am just frustrated as hell with the way that game went down to give it some perspective...a few facts (source Statsheet.com)
We had 10 DQ's (players fouling out) in 36 games coming into last night. We had 2 foul out (about 16.6% of our total for the year last night). We also had another 2 or 3 players with 4 fouls.
We avg 14.6 fouls a game this year and we had 29 last night.
Over the years (maybe because of the zone...not really sure) we have had 14, 9, 0, and 11 DQ's the last four seasons - last night again we had 2.
With all of this being said it isn't the refs fault that we lost - we still had a lot of chances to win or make plays. There were countless missed layups and overall you have to adapt to the way a game is being called. But I do feel as though it took us out of our game, same with Ohio St somewhat. There were times Scoop drove down the lane and the defenders backed away they weren't going to challenge a shot because of the high probability of a foul being called. Our guys going to trap on the press and a call was made as soon as we had a good trap established.
I thought this game was pretty disgusting - there was just no flow, not a fun game to watch at all. It was bad reffing both ways, I prefer a game with minimal calls - after all these are two great teams let the players decide it on the court.
In the grand scheme of things, just a game but I really loved watching this team this year. Thanks for all the great memories Scoop and KJo (probably Dion and Fab too). Cuse bball will live on and we are loaded again next year!!

Contrast it with the Syracuse/Wisconsin game which was a tremendous game to watch. The refs has little if no impact on that game. The game was determined by the players on the court and the styles the teams played. Syracuse's ability to take the ball to the hoop versus Wisconsin's 3 point shooting.

Last time we had this many fouls was in 2009. In that game we had one more foul. It was the 6 OT game.

Makes me wonder about a couple things. We all agree that using replay a lot would hurt the flow of the game. But we also know that the different camera views available are superior to the view of a ref who is running, tired, trying to look through a tangle of limbs, etc. Why do the refs have to be on the court? CBS had 12 camera views of this game. Why can't the referees be assigned two appropriate camera views each and sit in a booth? You could still have one on the court to actually blow the whistle and listen for obvious slaps or etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom