To Read or not to Read a thread before posting...that is the question. | Syracusefan.com

To Read or not to Read a thread before posting...that is the question.

CuseLegacy

Folks read the threads before you post...and don't believe everything you see on the internet or kids' social media.

Folks read the threads before you post...and don't believe everything you see on the internet or kids' social media.

Pardon my not reading through 9 pages of posts beforehand.

Does someone have to believe everything they find on the internet in order to share for the sake of a conversation?

I am truly an amateur, something that the professionals here have no qualms about pointing out.

I've been following iterations of this board for probably 20 years, yet have less than 300 posts.

This is the main reason why I don't post more.

Is there a "kiddie pool" version of this forum where such faux pas are tolerated?

Or perhaps this is just my final time on this forum at all.

Does someone have to believe everything they find on the internet in order to share for the sake of a conversation?

I am truly an amateur, something that the professionals here have no qualms about pointing out.

I've been following iterations of this board for probably 20 years, yet have less than 300 posts.

Is there a "kiddie pool" version of this forum where such faux pas are tolerated?

Thick skin my friend. I started posting then stopped shortly after due some people. Then said F it and just started up again and if people came at me oh well it's the internet.
To be fair the mods deal with a ton of stuff and they are blunt about things as some people, not saying you, just don't learn. I literally saw them tell people 20-30 times how get kids height and weight from hudl tapes, or the nightmare of the "redshirt" rule last year, etc.
9 pages is a lot to read but I've found it best to scroll through the last few pages before I post just to make sure.
Anyway end of the day keep posting or don't it's all up to you and no matter what someone is not going to like what you say :)

If you read the threads before posting you may learn something you didn't know. I know folks get excited about sharing info but sometimes it's already been posted or has been debunked.

Keep posting.

Keep posting, my friend. It takes time to get the hang of it. You're not the only one who's been directed to previous posts (Class of 2019 - JUCO WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps (TX)). Not sure if you noticed the pinned threads, but there's a lot of information listed up top that that's worth checking out: there's a complete list of all the players SU signed in December ('19 class). There's also a thread that explains the NCAA D-1 FB contact schedule .. that will tell you where/when the coaches are out on the road and when recruits can sign. You can follow the SU twitter feed, which is very creative and well done. Sometimes during the week (in a contact period) you'll see a thread about recruits visiting that weekend. If you familiarize yourself with all that information, you'll be at board speed.

Last edited:

Keep posting. Some people don't seem to understand how these boards work. People float in and out. Most people don't have the time or interest to read everything. For a whole variety of reasons, some posters may not quite grasp the meaning of a particular message or thread even if they've read it all. I don't see the problem with asking clarifying questions or giving an opinion, even if that question or opinion has been repeated a million times. Other posters are free to ignore it and move on.

That's just the nature of the online "conversation." You can't have the same expectations here that you would have in a person-to-person discussion on the phone or in the flesh.

Some posters can be jerks but overall the mods are just getting to the point and not intending make anything sound personal.

Cuselegacy has been telling long time posters pretty frequently, in the recruiting thread, to get back on topic when threads start to wander. So it’s nothing personal, don’t take it personal and the board will be more enjoyable.

And don’t post on the BB board. That makes life even more enjoyable.

Some posters can be jerks but overall the mods are just getting to the point and not intending make anything sound personal.

Cuselegacy has been telling long time posters pretty frequently, in the recruiting thread, to get back on topic when threads start to wander. So it’s nothing personal, don’t take it personal and the board will be more enjoyable.

And don’t post on the BB board. That makes life even more enjoyable.
Thanks. And I have started sitting in on the BB Game Threads...:rolleyes:

Hope you decide to keep posting. I will say it can be tough to keep up if you aren't here everyday.

Keep posting. Some people don't seem to understand how these boards work. People float in and out. Most people don't have the time or interest to read everything. For a whole variety of reasons, some posters may not quite grasp the meaning of a particular message or thread even if they've read it all. I don't see the problem with asking clarifying questions or giving an opinion, even if that question or opinion has been repeated a million times. Other posters are free to ignore it and move on.

That's just the nature of the online "conversation." You can't have the same expectations here that you would have in a person-to-person discussion on the phone or in the flesh.
What you are saying about a "conversation" may hold truth on the main BB and FB forums where there are a myriad of discussions going on but I wouldn't say the same about the recruiting forums. I would describe the threads on here as more of a "read". Most threads don't receive much input unless a visit occurs or there seems to be mutual interest from prospect and staff. Most threads even then don't receive that many pages of commentary or info, that's what happens when over 300 kids are offered in a class. It's usually the ones where there is a commitment, a lot of speculation that goes on and on...or where the kid has a good name. ;)

It doesn't take that much time to read through a thread and there aren't that many with activity to read through.

I truly appreciate your encouragement and that of others.

As much as I enjoy Syracuse sports, I have only so much time to spend on this. I pop in and out for brief moments of time and if I feel inclined, I post.

I am simply not going to review multitudes of postings prior simply to deprive one of the board elitists a "gotcha moment".

I get it, if I had, I would've realized it's all been previously discussed and I have nothing of value to add.

Given I am getting older, perhaps this is my "get of my lawn moment", but I have issues with the snarky, condescending, dare I say quasi-hostile responses one receives for merely seeking to participate.

Post a tidbit of information?

Response: "That is sooo post #32, we've all moved on..." - and of course all caps are used for certain words to communicate just how annoyed they are that anyone would dare post something they could've easily just skipped if not interested.

Post a link from rotoworld will ya? (Are they now some sort of tinfoil hat, fly by night operation? Is their an ultimate authority here on what sites are "link worthy"?)

Response: "Your posting fake news!"

To debate Its veracity was the very reason it was posted, for the sake of a conversation. Many pardons again for not paging back far enough to see it already had been.

Another Response: "Dont believe everything you read on the internet"

Ok, Thanks!

How about other pearls of wisdom like: "Dont take candy from strangers", "Look both ways before you cross the street" or "Make sure you pee before you leave for a long trip"

I fully understand the moderators here have a tough job and I fully respect them and would seek the same in return. Thus I'd only suggest that they consider in such situations that they are addressing another adult. Especially when such an admonishment is made via the public forum.

But perhaps it is my attitude that is the problem, either way probably best I dont post here any longer...or at least take a long break.

I'm going to disagree with others. You should not post. You don't seem to have the right attitude to meaningfully contribute here.

Reading a thread before posting is not asking too much. You are so focused on yourself, but you are not looking out for the community - many of whom read/post daily. Having to repetitively read old debunked links does not advance the conversation and does not advance the needs of the community.

To be sure, there should not be a piling on aspect that can be common on boards like this. But there should be a posture of humility rather than defiance. You messed up in not reading the thread and posting, and rather than receiving the correction you have made it all about yourself. That kind of self focused attitude tends to drag down communities rather than build them up. If you cannot acknowledge an error (which we all make) and try to do better next time, then it is probably best you refrain from posting.

I'm going to disagree with others. You should not post. You don't seem to have the right attitude to meaningfully contribute here.

Reading a thread before posting is not asking too much. You are so focused on yourself, but you are not looking out for the community - many of whom read/post daily. Having to repetitively read old debunked links does not advance the conversation and does not advance the needs of the community.

To be sure, there should not be a piling on aspect that can be common on boards like this. But there should be a posture of humility rather than defiance. You messed up in not reading the thread and posting, and rather than receiving the correction you have made it all about yourself. That kind of self focused attitude tends to drag down communities rather than build them up. If you cannot acknowledge an error (which we all make) and try to do better next time, then it is probably best you refrain from posting.
(going to assume sarcasm but I love this gif)
giphy.gif

I truly appreciate your encouragement and that of others.

As much as I enjoy Syracuse sports, I have only so much time to spend on this. I pop in and out for brief moments of time and if I feel inclined, I post.

I am simply not going to review multitudes of postings prior simply to deprive one of the board elitists a "gotcha moment".

I get it, if I had, I would've realized it's all been previously discussed and I have nothing of value to add.

Given I am getting older, perhaps this is my "get of my lawn moment", but I have issues with the snarky, condescending, dare I say quasi-hostile responses one receives for merely seeking to participate.

Post a tidbit of information?

Response: "That is sooo post #32, we've all moved on..." - and of course all caps are used for certain words to communicate just how annoyed they are that anyone would dare post something they could've easily just skipped if not interested.

Post a link from rotoworld will ya? (Are they now some sort of tinfoil hat, fly by night operation? Is their an ultimate authority here on what sites are "link worthy"?)

Response: "Your posting fake news!"

To debate Its veracity was the very reason it was posted, for the sake of a conversation. Many pardons again for not paging back far enough to see it already had been.

Another Response: "Dont believe everything you read on the internet"

Ok, Thanks!

How about other pearls of wisdom like: "Dont take candy from strangers", "Look both ways before you cross the street" or "Make sure you pee before you leave for a long trip"

I fully understand the moderators here have a tough job and I fully respect them and would seek the same in return. Thus I'd only suggest that they consider in such situations that they are addressing another adult. Especially when such an admonishment is made via the public forum.

But perhaps it is my attitude that is the problem, either way probably best I dont post here any longer...or at least take a long break.

Seeking to participate is fine - participation is the life blood of the board. Making posts that don’t add value to threads simply to participate does nothing for the rest of the community and only does something for yourself.

You received the “attitude” you did because you weren’t the first person that had posted that link which was found to be false literally weeks ago. Weeks ago. If you take a step back and actually consider that, it might change your perspective on things.

I took a long break from this forum recently because I got tired of the attitudes of a small minority that try to act smarter than the group and do it in a way that is highly condescending. So I understand that perspective - I just think it’s misguided here because the response you received was the direct result of something you did that was wrong. It wasn’t a case of you posting a thread about a player you think the staff should look at and then watching the know-it-all posts roll in questioning your intelligence. Or question a decision by the staff and seeing the same thing. That’s a personal attack (attack might be a strong word) based solely on you trying to participate in a constructive manner. And that’s the type of behavior that really detracts from the board. What happened with you imo is a direct result of your own actions, or in the case of not reading threads you’re participating in, lack of action.

I'd like to add to the title of, "To read or not to read" (apologies to William Shakespeare)

Whether 'tis nobler in mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of perceived rudeness,
Or to stop posting against a sea of internet non-civility
And by not posting end the conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom