to the non Syracuse fans who live in the 315 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

to the non Syracuse fans who live in the 315

Townie your street cred is taking a big hit with that last paragraph.

No man using Al Swearengen for an avatar should ever admit to attending a party at a big house in Canandaigua surrounded by folks guzzling white wine. (I can just imagine everyone's pinky raised with each sip)

All kidding aside, you might recall from your days in Rochester that it's considered WNY, not CNY. As a current resident of that area, and one who grew up in Syracuse, the line of demarcation between WNY and CNY lies somewhere in Wayne County (perhaps Lyons?) depending on which town is discussed and how many Darwin Award nominations earned.

Yup, there I was, an SU fan among the Upstate “ruling class”.

I never figured out the demarcation line between CNY and WNY. As a native New Jerseyan, I also couldn’t understand why it made any difference. But it did.

One of the more hilarious disputes I listened to came when the residents of Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo would accuse one another of “really being in the Snow Belt!” The difference between 130” a year and 140” a year was lost on me.

I did think that as you drove west from Syracuse to Rochester, New York State gets flatter and uglier. I worked for many years in Xerox Square and was never that impressed with any of the views. Syracuse from Piety Hill is much prettier.

I never figured out the demarcation line between CNY and WNY. As a native New Jerseyan, I also couldn’t understand why it made any difference. But it did.

One of the more hilarious disputes I listened to came when the residents of Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo would accuse one another of “really being in the Snow Belt!” The difference between 130” a year and 140” a year was lost on me.

I did think that as you drove west from Syracuse to Rochester, New York State gets flatter and uglier. I worked for many years in Xerox Square and was never that impressed with any of the views. Syracuse from Piety Hill is much prettier.

The line where pop becomes soda

This is entirely anecdotal and just my personal observation, but I probably know a couple hundred people in Central New York (friends, relatives, former co-workers, etc.) who are season ticket holders, and I would estimate 10% absolute tops attended SU -- probably closer to 5%.

I agree with your overall post, and would argue that locals who did not attend SU are probably by far the largest group of ticket buyers.

It’s driven by the numbers. I’ll bet way less than 5% of Onondaga County residents ever attended SU. Without the locals, SU wouldn’t need a Dome. Attendance would be more like Cornell’s than SU’s.

The Golden Snowball debate is something I'm guilty of participating in with my Buffalo in-laws. It reminds me of one of my favorite corny jokes about my heritage:

What's the difference between an Irishman and a Scot?

One beer.

The Geneva\Lyons exit on I90.

It’s driven by the numbers. I’ll bet way less than 5% of Onondaga County residents ever attended SU. Without the locals, SU wouldn’t need a Dome. Attendance would be more like Cornell’s than SU’s.
I was once part of a group of about 30-40 Syracuse locals who bought a block of season tickets for many years. I believe I was the only SU grad in the group. The rest were SU supporters who were some of the most loyal and vocal fans I have known. Sadly, my 2 tickets are the only ones remaining.

The Geneva\Lyons exit on I90.
I have visited the savages from the greater Rochester area.

This is what I found:

They think soda is called pop.

They have no college athletics there. I believe this is because there has never been an athletic student who attended a Rochester based college. I know a lot of RIT grads. Paste eaters all. The highlight of Rochester college athletics is when a young Jim Boeheim was almost hired by the University of Rochester in 1976.

Their hotdog of choice is a short, fat monstrosity called a Zweigle. The area is a desolate wasteland where coneys have not been invented yet.

Their contribution to modern cuisine is something called a ‘garbage plate’. It is an apt description.

Rochester, I weep for your children.

This is what I found:

They have no college athletics there. I believe this is because there has never been an athletic student who attended a Rochester based college. I know a lot of RIT grads. Paste eaters all. The highlight of Rochester college athletics is when a young Jim Boeheim was almost hired by the University of Rochester in 1976.

Their hotdog of choice is a short, fat monstrosity called a Zweigle. The area is a desolate wasteland where coneys have not been invented yet.

Their contribution to modern cuisine is something called a ‘garbage plate’. It is an apt description.

Wait what’s wrong with garbage plates?

This is what I found:

In its defense it is close to Buffalo and Syracuse though I can't really think of anything else nice to say or in general think of anything that is cool about Rochester.

Wait what’s wrong with garbage plates?

From what I’ve gleaned from his posts over the years, he doesn’t drink.

I imagine that they’re no big deal if you eat them sober and at a reasonable hour. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced one that way, though.

From what I’ve gleaned from his posts over the years, he doesn’t drink.

I imagine that they’re no big deal if you eat them sober and at a reasonable hour. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced one that way, though.

Oh right I’ve never had one when I wasn’t hungover.

This is what I found:

To be fair, when U of R lost out on Jim Boeheim, they hired their second choice Mike Neer. He coached at Rochester for nearly as long as JB at SU, leaving in 2010. During his tenure at Rochester, he went to 4 DIII Final Fours, reaching the title game three times and winning it all in 1990.

Not bad at all for losing the JB sweepstakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom