To what extent does AD | Syracusefan.com

To what extent does AD

Cuse Action

2nd String
Wildhak deserve blame for JB not retiring? I for one think Hopkins would be an upgrade certainly in recruting, etc.

giphy.gif

Wildhak deserve blame for JB not retiring? I for one think Hopkins would be an upgrade certainly in recruting, etc.

Boeheim deserves his exit when he wants to exit now. Period. Lets see how the season ends too.

I'm a big Arsenal fan and this feels similar to Arsene Wegner getting shoved aside and then Arsenal slumping further. Be careful what you wish for.

JB calls his exit shot - at least until Buddy leaves. AFter that it may be time for the AD to reassert control of the Department.

Say what you will about Jim but he’s got a ridiculous string of consecutive winning seasons. His jobs hardly ever been in jeopardy. He leaves when he says so.

Boeheim deserves his exit when he wants to exit now. Period. Lets see how the season ends too.

I'm a big Arsenal fan and this feels similar to Arsene Wegner getting shoved aside and then Arsenal slumping further. Be careful what you wish for.
Arsenal has finished 5th and 6th in the EPL standings since Wenger left.
Also Wenger left the talent pool less than stacked.
The Gunners finished 2 points out of 3rd place last year and made the Europa League final.
There transition from Wenger has been good.
Whe Leicester comes back to the pack this year Arsenal have the best chance to finish top 4.
I would take that transition from JB similarly.

First of all this whole "Hopkins was forced out" narrative is absolute BS. Hop left for an opportunity that was financially, geographically and personally in his best interest. The plan was in place at Syracuse and the plan would have been implemented had he not left no matter how much JB regretted it.

When Hop left, Wildhack was left with a simple choice. Stick to Part A of the plan, allow JB to coach his final year and conduct a search from ground zero, or make the only move he realistically could at the time to maintain continuity in the program going into the spring recruiting window and summer AAU season.

We were one year removed from a Final Four, the shadow of sanctions was about to be lifted and we were involved with a number of highly regarded prospects in both the 2017 and 2018 classes. Wildhack chose the logical, easy path to stick with the known commodity - a Hall of Fame coach.

Everyone on this forum know I am a huge John Wildhack supporter. I suppose if he has a fault it may be that he is too big of a fan. He clearly idolized JB and that certainly colored his decision. However I think we can safely assume he sought a significant amount of input from his "massive Rolodex" to quote Mike Tirico before acting on that decision.

Could things have worked out better if JW held to the announced schedule? Possibly but for every Mike Hopkins there are three Kevin Stallings hires out there.

The Gunners finished 2 points out of 3rd place last year and made the Europa League final.
Whe Leicester comes back to the pack this year Arsenal have the best chance to finish top 4.
I feel like I need to bump my Wenger/JB comparison post that I created, what in 2015 or was it even earlier?

I actually read a great article about Wenger post-Arsenal a month or so ago that made me want to bump that thread - Life after Arsenal: Wenger is turning 70 but yearns for football again.

Wenger seems to be enjoying life and getting refreshed at 70... I contrast this with that recent article on JB which actually made me a little sad for him as it portrayed him as a bit of a shut in who is really only interested in coaching. My guess is the article deliberately painted a really skewed picture of JB to really bring out how he is hurting since the accident. Anyways my hope for JB is that a year or so after he retires someone is writing an article a lot like the one about Wenger that I linked to.

BTW Wenger just interviewed with Bayern Munich for their open position... for those who don't know Bayern is the Kansas of European soccer - dominate their league but rarely make it past that final hurdle on the European stage. Bayern said no presumably because Wenger wanted a longer deal than they were comfortable giving a septuagenarian.

Oh and to add... Arsenal has taken a definite step back from the Wenger years. There is a real shot that they will fire the coach they hired post-Wenger either during this season or post-season.

First of all this whole "Hopkins was forced out" narrative is absolute BS. Hop left for an opportunity that was financially, geographically and personally in his best interest. The plan was in place at Syracuse and the plan would have been implemented had he not left no matter how much JB regretted it.

When Hop left, Wildhack was left with a simple choice. Stick to Part A of the plan, allow JB to coach his final year and conduct a search from ground zero, or make the only move he realistically could at the time to maintain continuity in the program going into the spring recruiting window and summer AAU season.

We were one year removed from a Final Four, the shadow of sanctions was about to be lifted and we were involved with a number of highly regarded prospects in both the 2017 and 2018 classes. Wildhack chose the logical, easy path to stick with the known commodity - a Hall of Fame coach.

Everyone on this forum know I am a huge John Wildhack supporter. I suppose if he has a fault it may be that he is too big of a fan. He clearly idolized JB and that certainly colored his decision. However I think we can safely assume he sought a significant amount of input from his "massive Rolodex" to quote Mike Tirico before acting on that decision.

Could things have worked out better if JW held to the announced schedule? Possibly but for every Mike Hopkins there are three Kevin Stallings hires out there.
You bring up some very valid points. Thanks.

Arsenal is worse now than when Arsene left. Regardless of the position in the table the team is less organized and Emery is gonzo shortly.

The team spent a ton on talent to compete higher and Emery isn’t tactically there. Wenger ball in the mid 2000s was Boeheim ball in late 80s. Very exciting. Both are older now and deserve maximum respect and graceful exits. That was my point.

Arsenal is worse now than when Arsene left. Regardless of the position in the table the team is less organized and Emery is gonzo shortly.

The team spent a ton on talent to compete higher and Emery isn’t tactically there. Wenger ball in the mid 2000s was Boeheim ball in late 80s. Very exciting. Both are older now and deserve maximum respect and graceful exits. That was my point.
I am good friends with an Arsenal fan from England here in Charlotte he was ecstatic with their performance minus one game last year against Chelsea in the Europa league final.
Arsenal has survived post Wenger there problem is really Man City under Pep is a machine and Liverpool under Klopp have become dominant.
Chelsea and Arsenal have remained on the same level and Man U has become the dumpster fire. Tottenham is old Syracuse get to big spots and always loses.

Arsenal is fine post Wenger. I am not as optimistic about the future of Syracuse basketball right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom