Today's equipment - stick question | Syracusefan.com

Today's equipment - stick question

PhatOrange

Living Legend
so what's the hottest stick to use these days. When I played there were two brands - Brine and STX. Each brand I believe only had maybe 2 models. There was the Brine SL2 an SL4 and a STX highwall. I don't remember what else STX had. It wasn't hard to make a stick choice cause options were limited - which is a good thing. (cant imagine kids today playing with an SL2 - that would be something I'd like to see).

Today there are seemingly a million choices - and I guess I'm talking stick heads. What is the model stick that is the most popular to use today - NCAA legal. And to keep it simple - the stick with the best general use whether you play attack or midfield.

I personally hate the hard mesh. I've used it and I don't like it. I'm going to buy my 9 year old a new head this season, maybe two so I can string one with a traditional kit - which is still my preference. Anyhow, I'm looking for the top of the line all around head. I'm leaning towards the STX Super Power but I thought I'd ask around.

Woody - what's your kid use? What's Staats use? What's Marasco use? What do the Thompson use (I notice they had traditional pockets)?

as far as I can tell, not too many use a traditional pocket anymore. Lax.com has a listing of their top sellers. Check that out.

also, call lacrosse unlimited in dewitt. They string heads for SU and many of the high school players. Some of their employees that string sticks are high school players. there.

Phat you are forgetting the z-man special, the stx Sam. If you want to keep it old school check out this selection from the Sports Outfit in Camillus. They have the Laser HiWall in stock along with the Air Attack, which is eerily similar to the SL4. http://www.sportsoutfit.com/Lacrosse-Closeouts-s/18.htm

If you want to bring him into the 21st century, I believe the Proton series from STX is popular amongst the SU players. As for the Thompsons, Albany is a Maverik school so they probably use sticks from the Spider line. I would stick with STX or Maverik. STX has traditionally been the best product on market and Maverik is owned by same group that own Cascade, kind of like buying local...

As for string it, traditional is tough to adjust and repair if you are not close by to help out this newcomer to the game. And today's mesh is not like the hard mesh we used in the late 80s/early 90s. Much more pliable and easier to break in.

go old school.self strung wood shepherd crook. hell i was in high school before i ever got my first brine poly. and even that had an ash handle. that and a well weighted and taped stub end for delivering body blows.

the older sticks and designs will give you a harder shot.

just was talking about this with a coach the other day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom