Today's game is Exhibit A... | Syracusefan.com

Today's game is Exhibit A...

RF2044

Living Legend
...of why we need to do what just about every other team does, and schedule an easier game to open the season. Would be nice to have a tune up type of game to work out some of the offensive kinks we saw today.

Oh well.

And I want to be clear: I don't think we were overmatched today. I'm very proud of how our kids competed. Lots of new faces on both sides of the ball, and we didn't back down nor look like we didn't belong. We just couldn't move the ball consistently. Otherwise, I thought we brought it--especially on D.

Yeah. It's exciting to start the season with a good opponent, but if your stuff isn't right it's easy to see the struggles.

no one was expecting Marrone to be in Buffalo remember? When these games were scheduled it was his dream job.

Yes, this was anybody's game right up until the end.
And you're right, a tune-up game is a must. I like playing games at MetLife, but they shouldn't be to open the season. Let's get our legs first. Play a 1AA at home, and we get a chance to work out a lot of the basic issues.

Lots to be disappointed about in this game. But very pleased with the defense. I expect them to be strong all season.

OL play was spotty. WRs with too many drops, and confusion on routes, whether that was QB or WR. Run blocking wasn't effective. Allen had some moments good and bad. I have a difficult time evaluating playcalling when it doesn't work. But our pace seemed to be off all game. And I do wonder whether or not PSU was stopping the clock with injuries in order to control our pace. (Not that it was really necessary.)

Oh, and our return game looked vastly improved. Punt coverage was excellent, other than once, when it looked like we just outkicked the coverage. If we can actually get the ball in the hands of our Kick returners, they look like they can bring it.

i've got no problem with the scheduling. don't think penn state really looked all that good. nor did we.

No they didn't. And I think that's kind of the point. Get a game in first, and we play a little better when we go to MetLife.

what do you consider to be an "easy game"?
elon or other FBS schools which I assume includes most directional U-schools and I-AA schools. We most definately are looking at going 0-2 with Northwestern up next

And you're right, a tune-up game is a must. I like playing games at MetLife, but they shouldn't be to open the season. Let's get our legs first. Play a 1AA at home, and we get a chance to work out a lot of the basic issues.

Lots to be disappointed about in this game. But very pleased with the defense. I expect them to be strong all season.

OL play was spotty. WRs with too many drops, and confusion on routes, whether that was QB or WR. Run blocking wasn't effective. Allen had some moments good and bad. I have a difficult time evaluating playcalling when it doesn't work. But our pace seemed to be off all game. And I do wonder whether or not PSU was stopping the clock with injuries in order to control our pace. (Not that it was really necessary.)
We may have trying to get our sea legs in the first half, but I thought we were playing not to lose in the first half. I thought if we could get out in front by 10-14, against a FR QB ( who turned out to be pretty good ), we could take'em

1AA at home to start the season is a must.

elon or other FBS schools which I assume includes most directional U-schools and I-AA schools. We most definately are looking at going 0-2 with Northwestern up next

It's not like we looked particularly good against Northeastern or Stony Brook the past few seasons. I don't know if there is such a thing as an "easy game" for our program at this time.

We may have trying to get our sea legs in the first half, but I thought we were playing not to lose in the first half. I thought if we could get out in front by 10-14, against a FR QB ( who turned out to be pretty good ), we could take'em
We played to our strength. The running game. It didn't work out that way. But how can you fault the SU coaches for trying to establish the running game?

sorry but we had months to prepare for this marquis matchup. cupcake game in between wouldn't have helped..

1AA at home to start the season is a must.
Yeah, look at BC. They schedule Villanova to open the season. They're 1 - 0. I am thinking BC is not as good as Syracuse. But the perception is going to be 180 degrees opposite.

...of why we need to do what just about every other team does, and schedule an easier game to open the season. Would be nice to have a tune up type of game to work out some of the offensive kinks we saw today.

Oh well.

And I want to be clear: I don't think we were overmatched today. I'm very proud of how our kids competed. Lots of new faces on both sides of the ball, and we didn't back down nor look like we didn't belong. We just couldn't move the ball consistently. Otherwise, I thought we brought it--especially on D.

I agree and most BCS teams don't schedule big time season openers. The reason we had to do this is that the Athletic department had no choice because pre ACC they needed the $5 million MetLife pays them to generate revenue for their budget cause so little being generated through BE conference.

Hate to say it but its all about money why we schedule to play the opener at MetLife.

Defense was decent. But the lack of speed in the secondary is glaring. Robinson made our d backs look like they were running in cement.

I disagree. Play the toughest OOC game the 1st week- minimize the damage if you lose, get the most time to prepare, and team should be as healthy as they will be all year. Win and you can get a lot of momentum rolling, lose and there is still a lot of season left to recover.

Now, I don't agree with playing two tough games to open up. You can play two good games and be 0-2 and that can be deflating mentally.

Oh well.

This 10000%, getting a chance to get some confidence and pts would have been grreat.

I'd love to begin each season against Colgate, then play Army, then two teams from some of the other "Big Five" conferences, then the ACC schedule.

sorry but we had months to prepare for this marquis matchup. cupcake game in between wouldn't have helped..

Could not disagree more. The stuff that plagued the O was the call getting in late and communication issues within the line and the WR/QB stuff. Against Wagner, there would be a lot more margin for error. You'd make mistakes but learn from them without losing.

We played Mizzou late in the season last year and won because the O and D were both rolling, with kinks worked out.

Oh well.

Agreed. After I had time to cool off and re-evaluate, we really didn't play that bad considering the new faces in key spots on offense. My biggest disappointment was the lack of the "quick strike" passing we implemented last season across the middle. You can't tell me that Drew is not equipped to make those passes. We hardly used our TEs today. We should be carving people up with our TEs. Those bubble screen, three yard out routes need to be tossed in the dumpster for good. They don't work. It's almost as bad as those DeLeone up the gut plays.

I want to see a more active passing attack next time out. Quick strikes. I don't care if they only get 5 yards. Those plays move the chains. Can't let the opposing D stack the line like they did today. Gotta make them pay for that.

Oh, and NO MORE TRICKERY until we get the real stuff down pat.

One other note: My son asked me: "...if we're going to break in a new QB and struggle this year, why not let Hunt be the guy so he gets a year of experience? We'll be back in the same spot next year otherwise."

Can't really argue with him, but I think Shafer made the right call nonetheless.

I don't doubt that it'd help if we started against a weak opponent, but we have to stop saying that *everybody* does that. UNC-SC, Ole Miss-Vandy, UGA-Clemson, Bama-VaTech... Lots of made for TV openers pitting two Big 5 programs these days.

the stuff that plagued the offense was the inability to run inside or out and the failure to either block/ or complete a pass under pressure. the SU o-line folded and the qb looked lost. a lesser opponent may have masked these deficiencies for a week or so but eventually they surface to bite you in the arse. now we know.

I don't doubt that it'd help if we started against a weak opponent, but we have to stop saying that *everybody* does that. UNC-SC, Ole Miss-Vandy, UGA-Clemson, Bama-VaTech... Lots of made for TV openers pitting two Big 5 programs these days.

5 games, out of dozens of others that are more imbalanced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom