Toledo AD makes "unprecedented" request that Rockets be awarded victory | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Toledo AD makes "unprecedented" request that Rockets be awarded victory

i request that the toledo player who INTENTIONALLY GRABBED BAILEYS FACE MASK AND RIPPED HIS HELMET OFF AFTER THE PLAY be charged with 1st degree assault with intent to inflict severe harm and maim(sp) said ball carrier as to disable him from further participation. that was nothing but a shear mugging.

i request we shut the door on this conservation and talk rutgers...Toledo needs to get over it and move on...they got their conference to worry about let alone one baseless defeat...Flip the helmet!!!!!

That is different. A MLB team can protest and replay a game. It is within the rules and has been done in the past. That has never happened and isn't an option in FB.

Completely different... That was a call that could not have carried additional post-call burden. With the correct call, the game is over. Selig was well within his rights to overturn the call, and I believe he screwed up by not doing so. This would have been as if the refs blew the call on a game-winning FG that would have ended the game one way or another, in which case the game result rested SOLELY on the kick.

My 17 year old self is asking for a re-do with Jessica Smith that one time I pretended to "run out of gas". Ain't gonna happen.

I'm looking for a redo with the hot 23 year old nuclear physicist who gave me the all the signs by inviting me into her bedroom at the beginning of our date and asked me to sit on her bed next to her legs uncrossed. I couldn't believe it was happening and realized after the fact. DAMN IT, I MISSED THE CALL ON THAT ONE.

:bang: :bang:

Still ain't gonna get the points... Get it ;)

Val Pinchback SID SU 1961:Two of the officials noted an error had been made: The Big 10 and ECAC said the Officials made an error but had no authority to change the score. Syracuse AD Lew Andreas wanted ND to concede the Victory! Notre Dame 17 SU 15 Walt Sweeney 0. Guess what 50 Years later the score is still the same.
I listened to that Game on my Grams Philco radio .

A game that will live in infamy. So glad we beat them in both legs of our recent home and home.

It's the right thing for UT's AD to do because of his job, with the reality that nothing will happen.
Big East released the statement to cover their azzes. It's was all over the internet and national media,
so they had to address the issue some how. Most Rocket fans have moved on to the Temple game, which will be critical.

Congrats PJ on your NCAA championship.

That is different. A MLB team can protest and replay a game. It is within the rules and has been done in the past. That has never happened and isn't an option in FB.
When was a game re-played on the basis of a judgment call such as an out at first base?

you can only protest a rule in baseball not an incorrect call..

If for some reason the Big East did honor this request, then SU would have the legal opportunity to get out of the Big East sooner because the Big East would be breaking their fiduciary duties they owe to their conference members. I would do the legal brief and pro bono the legal research on the case to get us out of the Big East ASAP.

^^^ This

There are so many games where horrible calls have a drastic impact on one team's chances of winning. I would be pissed if this was Syracuse in this situation. However, those were some of the worst refs I've ever seen officiate a game. They missed calls all over the place that would've helped Syracuse. Why aren't those being brought up by the Toledo AD? This decision can't be reversed.

Syracuse University's official two word response to Toledo AD.

"Bl0w Me".

"TOLEDO, OH - University of Toledo athletic director Mike O'Brien said on Sunday that he has made a formal written request to Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher asking that he request the Big East Conference to vacate Syracuse's 33-30 overtime win over Toledo on Saturday and award the victory to the Rockets."

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=205288884

Boohoo. Tell you what: We'll give you the PAT if you give us the TD Lemon would've scored if he hadn't been bumped.

Yeah, good luck with that one.

Dave makes another good point also, which hasn't been talked about much. Why did the BE even come out and say the refs blew it? I know it is very rare for a conference of any sport to come out and say their refs were wrong, but the few times I have seen it, it seems like it was due to rules interpretation. There are blown calls on the field all the time and I would wager there have even been blown calls after a review upstairs too.

Like Dave mentions other fans have asked, I am 99% certain the BE released that statement only because of how pissed they are about SU leaving. We will be the bad guys from here on out and will have to put up with crap until we get out.
Don't coaches get reprimanded for openly criticizing the officiating? Shouldn't the conference officials be held to those same standards? The Big East is looking like the inept ones, because they were the ones who hired these clowns to begin with. The entire game was poorly officiated, and Syracuse should have had 11 more points compared to -7 for Toledo (the 7 for the td they scored on the 40-yard punt return that should have been brought back for a block in the back).

Bees

SU should ask that the illegal forward pass be reviewed by the Big East office. The QB threw the ball a yard past the LOS. The refs said that the ball was thrown 3 yards past. The replay shows it was one yard past when he released and then he fell forward two yards. The play went to the booth and they did not overturn the spot. Thus Toledo had 2nd and 12 from the SU 48 instead of 2nd and 14 from the 50. If the next two plays were the same (which you cannot assume) then Toledo has a 54 yard FG instead of a 52.

In addition Toledo's last FG hit the net with 2 seconds left. Why were they not forced to kick it off before OT.

On top of that the rules say that there needs to be indisputable video evidence. Sine there are two angles and one appears to be a good PAT, you have to by rule go with the call on the field. So by rule Toledo has no case.

I had forgotten about that spot review. There are just so many coulda woulda shoulda's. Just because one bad call cost a team 1 point doesn't mean other ones didn't cost points also.

I had forgotten about that spot review. There are just so many coulda woulda shoulda's. Just because one bad call cost a team 1 point doesn't mean other ones didn't cost points also.
Like lemons 6 points on the no call PI in the end zone. How about baileys skull rip? Helmets usually pop off and go flying 7 yards. I forgot.

Dear Mike O'Brien,

h1GVc.jpg

there is no valid point for this to take place...sports history is loaded with wrong calls that result in a team winning that perhaps should not have...stop whining...wait...you sound like the BE...forget it and get a life

"TOLEDO, OH - University of Toledo athletic director Mike O'Brien said on Sunday that he has made a formal written request to Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher asking that he request the Big East Conference to vacate Syracuse's 33-30 overtime win over Toledo on Saturday and award the victory to the Rockets."

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=205288884

Boohoo. Tell you what: We'll give you the PAT if you give us the TD Lemon would've scored if he hadn't been bumped.
I have to say, Toledo takes the cake for being the most clueless and shady athletic department in the country.

Clueless by even making such a stupid request.

And shady because they tried for years to get out of a 2 for 1 scheduling arrangement with Syracuse. SU played them in the Rubber Bowl in 1999. They were supposed to return to Syracuse in 2003 and 2004 but the second game had to be rescheduled after the Big East football conference was restructured as part of Defection to the ACC Round I. They wouldn't agree to play us again until 2011 and tried like hell to get out of the commitment.

I would never play them again, in any sport, after this kind of behavior.

You get a bit of sympathy from the college football world, until an AD does something like this... Then you turn the laughingstock from the BE refs, to the Toledo program. Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom