Tom Coughlin recovering after bicycle accident | Syracusefan.com

Tom Coughlin recovering after bicycle accident

You wanna get away with murder?
Literally?

Hit somebody while they’re on a bike.

If you don’t get away scot free, you can simply claim you never saw them, and it was all just an unfortunate incident. :rolleyes:

Literally?

If you don’t get away scot free, you can simply claim you never saw them, and it was all just an unfortunate incident. :rolleyes:
It's a national problem, but we've had multiple people hit while walking/riding a bike in the Rochester area. Just in the last 2 months, a police officer was killed cycling with his kid, and some a@@ clown ran over a family of 3 (including a stroller) in his Toyota and then took off. Drivers find lots of ways to become distracted, but cell phone addicts are on a different level. It's worse than DWI ... and should be made a crime IMO.

Last edited:
Literally?

Friend of mine got killed by a high 17-year old doing 70 in a 30. The Chief of Police said that if the 17-year old hadn't killed himself in the same crash, he'd have been charged with manslaughter.

And I really don't like this post considering my wife is doing a 50 mile charity bike ride tomorrow.

EDIT - I was wrong about the speed. It was over 80 as the speed limit was going from 30 to 40.

Last edited:
Friend of mine got killed by a high 17-year old doing 70 in a 30. The Chief of Police said that if the 17-year old hadn't killed himself in the same crash, he'd have been charged with manslaughter.

And I really don't like this post considering my wife is doing a 50 mile charity bike ride tomorrow.
Teenagers are infamously unsafe ... and many don't seem to realize that it's illegal to transport more than one other person <21 in their vehicles. Add booze ... forget it (they're already on their phones anyway). But it's not just a youth problem. Stand on a street corner sometime and watch how many people are yapping or looking down. The NYS police enforce it, but local police are just as likely to be talking as the average driver. Lots of work to be done here.

Last edited:
Teenagers are infamously unsafe ... and many don't seem to realize that it's illegal to transport more than one other person <21 in their vehicles. Add booze or a cell phone ... forget it (they're nearly all using their phones). But it's not just a youth problem. Stand on a street corner sometime and watch how many people are yapping or looking down. The NYS police enforce it, but local police are just as likely to be talking as the average driver. Lots of work to be done here.
Neighbor of mine sold his motorcycle because he saw so many people texting and looking at their phones while driving by him on the highway. All ages as you said.

I was coming down a hill on my road bike, car pulled across the road in to their driveway instead of waiting for me and I hit the car at 39mph (I know impact from bike computer data - which amazingly was found in the back of the inside of the car, after the bike and I went through their windshield). 5 days in the hospital and 2 months out of work, I could have easily taken the whole year off and would have been supplied with drugs the whole time.

Scary sh_t though. Police report said: no major injuries except for damage to the car, they tried to make contact with me to take my statement and I didn't return their calls (never happened), never had anyone contact me, and no tickets issued. Car I hit was an old Saturn I think but the car was totaled by insurance. Smashed in the side of the front end of car and smashed/crushed/caved in the whole front windshield and part of the front roof pillar.

I see people every single day I'm driving behind and all of a sudden their driving on the shoulder of the road most likely because they're texting. Anyone on that shoulder is a goner.

I was coming down a hill on my road bike, car pulled across the road in to their driveway instead of waiting for me and I hit the car at 39mph (I know impact from bike computer data - which amazingly was found in the back of the inside of the car, after the bike and I went through their windshield). 5 days in the hospital and 2 months out of work, I could have easily taken the whole year off and would have been supplied with drugs the whole time.

Scary sh_t though. Police report said: no major injuries except for damage to the car, they tried to make contact with me to take my statement and I didn't return their calls (never happened), never had anyone contact me, and no tickets issued. Car I hit was an old Saturn I think but the car was totaled by insurance. Smashed in the side of the front end of car and smashed/crushed/caved in the whole front windshield and part of the front roof pillar.

I see people every single day I'm driving behind and all of a sudden their driving on the shoulder of the road most likely because they're texting. Anyone on that shoulder is a goner.
Unfortunately, not issuing tickets to motorists that run over (or turn in front of) cyclists is all too common. Like many drivers, lots of local police think cyclists don't belong on the roads. The concept of "mixed use" is apparently too abstract. And NFN but I don't think you would have spent 5 days in the hospital if your injuries were minor. What a dumb cop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom