Tom Coughlin should be very upset about this | Syracusefan.com

Tom Coughlin should be very upset about this

Eric15

Living Legend
Headline on the ESPN front page: “Ashley Wagner: Coughlin sexually assaulted me.” It’s referring to figure skater John Coughlin. What percentage of ESPN.com readers would see that and immediately assume Tom? 95%?

i knew mostly what it was about and still thought Tom first.

I saw it and my first thought was "oh god, I hope this isn't Tom."

For what? Because some people are too stupid to actually read the article? Imagine the lawsuits if every time there was a headline, other people sued. Think of how many Epsteins can sue? Hell, how many Simpsons?
Sorry but this is an extremely short sighted post. While I agree that this sue happy society is sickening, this one has some meat to it.

Sorry but this is an extremely short sighted post. While I agree that this sue happy society is sickening, this one has some meat to it.
??? How so. Nothing in the headline is false. There was no harm to Tom Coughlin. For a moment some people thought it was him. Seconds later, they learned it wasn't. This would get laughed out of court. Does this mean everyone with the last name Coughlin could sue?

??? How so. Nothing in the headline is false. There was no harm to Tom Coughlin. For a moment some people thought it was him. Seconds later, they learned it wasn't. This would get laughed out of court. Does this mean everyone with the last name Coughlin could sue?

Exactly. While I agree the headline was written that way for a reason, the main point is what you said - nothing in the headline is false. I'm shocked that anyone would truly think this lawsuit would go anywhere and I would be less than happy if a judge paid by tax dollars would have to spend more than 5 seconds dealing with it.

I definitely don't think this is lawsuit-worthy. I just don't like tabloidish journalism.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense. No one is going to go to the ESPN.com and say "oh no, my random friend with the last name Coughlin sexually assaulted someone!" But millions will at first think Tom did.

In the big scheme of things this is meaningless. I just think ESPN can do better. Or maybe they can't and I'm giving them too much credit.

I definitely don't think this is lawsuit-worthy. I just don't like tabloidish journalism.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense. No one is going to go to the ESPN.com and say "oh no, my random friend with the last name Coughlin s e xually assaulted someone!" But millions will at first think Tom did.

In the big scheme of things this is meaningless. I just think ESPN can do better. Or maybe they can't and I'm giving them too much credit.

Not a knock against the OP -- but I saw that article yesterday, and it didn't even occur to me to think of Tom Coughlin when I saw the headline. And this is coming from an unabashed SU fan.

Maybe the association / attribution isn't that strong for most people as what you're implying?

If I was assaulted by the reindeer Dasher and wanted to share that information with Syracusefan.com, I wouldn't start a thread with the subject line: "Eric: Dasher assaulted me." Because everyone would think it was you at first and I like you too much as a poster to do that.

If I was assaulted by the reindeer Dasher and wanted to share that information with Syracusefan.com, I wouldn't start a thread with the subject line: "Eric: Dasher assaulted me." Because everyone would think it was you at first and I like you too much as a poster to do that.
Dasher the reindeer isn't... oh never mind

Not a knock against the OP -- but I saw that article yesterday, and it didn't even occur to me to think of Tom Coughlin when I saw the headline. And this is coming from an unabashed SU fan.

Maybe the association / attribution isn't that strong for most people as what you're implying?
Not for anything but neither did I. And he was a ass't when I was in school