Tomorrow, the Dome stands alone... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tomorrow, the Dome stands alone...

It has been deflated three times I believe. Also, I remember there was one game where there was a leak and water needed to be constantly wiped from the floor. I think in 1997 or 8. Someone can back me up right.

That was the St. John's game in 1998. Big snow storm right around rush hour and a tiny crowd. And a wet floor. I think they had a problem with leaks a couple times that winter, but that was the worst one.

Here's a construction photo:

38a.gif
Thanks for the picture. The Dome looks much much smaller without the roof. Almost the size of a MLS stadium. An open air stadium with less than 50,000 does look too intimidating. The layout would look like Stanford's new stadium.

It has been deflated three times I believe. Also, I remember there was one game where there was a leak and water needed to be constantly wiped from the floor. I think in 1997 or 8. Someone can back me up right.

When there the Dome was deflated back in January 1994 an exhibition game was moved from the Dome to Manley at the last minute at played in front of no fans.

OttoMets said:
That was the St. John's game in 1998. Big snow storm right around rush hour and a tiny crowd. And a wet floor. I think they had a problem with leaks a couple times that winter, but that was the worst one.

It leaked onto the portable bleached seats, correct.

Very odd being in the building with the roof deflated, they wouldn't let us take pictures if I recall correctly.

When there the Dome was deflated back in January 1994 an exhibition game was moved from the Dome to Manley at the last minute at played in front of no fans.

And we were only playing exhibitions at that late date (rather than preseason) because of probation.

Weird stuff all around.

Also, that was the second (of four, I think) deflation of the roof in a ten-month period. They had to drop it after the '93 Blizzard, too: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/16/sports/college-basketball-get-the-short-players-ready.html

IIRC, when the Metrodome roof collapsed a few years back, they had to call SU for support and a section of roof to repair it. We were the only one's who had what they needed. If the Carrier Dome wasn't around, the fix could have taken months.

IIRC, when the Metrodome roof collapsed a few years back, they had to call SU for support and a section of roof to repair it. We were the only one's who had what they needed. If the Carrier Dome wasn't around, the fix could have taken months.

Indeed. And this is what's being overlooked in all of the new stadium/retractable roof discussion.
If the Carrier Dome is now the last of its breed, who do we call if/when there's trouble with our roof?
Entirely new stadium or not, the Metrodome's deflation tomorrow means the days of the white Dome roof as we know it are officially numbered.

Last edited:
Maybe the local landmark preservation commission can get National Historic Landmark status for it?

One of the top 10 unnatural wonders of the world.