Tonight's Refs | Syracusefan.com

Tonight's Refs

Bill Orange

Terry Wymer, Easy Ed Corbett and the all time hoop scoring leader for Liberty University.

I'd much rather have Hess tonight than Saturday. Not that we couldn't get him again on Saturday.

Are karl Hess and Colin Quinn twins ?
image.jpg

The only way people here would be satisfied with the refs is if they were Donovan McNabb, Mike Tirico, and Jesus.
I must know... what sports did you play growing up.

The only way people here would be satisfied with the refs is if they were Donovan McNabb, Mike Tirico, and Jesus.

Refs should be seen and not heard. They're there to enforce the rules, not imprint an indelible stamp on how games are played.

Personally, I think it would be great if we didn't even know who the refs were--if they were mere background noise to the focal point of the players / game itself. I can live with the human error element of a blown call here or there. Part of the game. The only problem is, the college basketball landscape is dotted with officials who officiate differently than everybody else, and the game is worse for it.

Blaming the refs for losing a game is a waste of time, and I get why people get frustrated with those kinds of posts. Criticizing the officials for poor performance is an entirely different thing--and no offense, but it is warranted given the sh/t show that many games devolve into. That Pittsburgh game a week ago today was a travesty of officating--truly, one of the worst examples I've ever seen in terms of what was allowed to transpire. This wasn't an example of the "strike zone" being a little different than normal but consistent, and both teams needing to adjust--the officials blatantly advantaged one team while adversely impacting the other. I have no qualms calling it like I see it--especially when I can point to other examples, such as the abomination in the NCAA tournament against OSU in 2012--where the same official is the root cause of both debacles.

And I'll save an even bigger criticism for the NCAA for allowing it to go on. The rule changes that were implemented last offseason were a step in the right direction, but ultimately haven't moved the needle nearly as much as needed. That won't occur until these officials are held accountable--somehow--for their job performance.

Until then, I have no problem pointing out examples of shoddy officiating, or bristling when certain zebras get assigned to our games. Precisely because certain officials introduce an element of variance as a function of their involvement that has no place in the game.

Last edited:
Organized bball? Thru hs?

Yes, I have played organized basketball in my life. Yes, there were refs. Yes, I complained about calls at times. Yes, it's impossible to make every call correct. Yes, calls went against me, while others were in favor of me. Yes, officiating affects outcomes of games because fouls, etc, are part of the game. Yes, you are in the running for prime offender #1 for complaining about the officiating when we don't get a call but don't make a peep when we do get a call. Yes, officials should be held to some sort of accountability when they have a track record of making incorrect calls with direct benefit to one team over the other [this is where it gets difficult]. Yes, I'm a pretty good basketball player.

Does that cover it?

Yes, I have played organized basketball in my life. Yes, there were refs. Yes, I complained about calls at times. Yes, it's impossible to make every call correct. Yes, calls went against me, while others were in favor of me. Yes, officiating affects outcomes of games because fouls, etc, are part of the game. Yes, you are in the running for prime offender #1 for complaining about the officiating when we don't get a call but don't make a peep when we do get a call. Yes, officials should be held to some sort of accountability when they have a track record of making incorrect calls with direct benefit to one team over the other [this is where it gets difficult]. Yes, I'm a pretty good basketball player.

Does that cover it?
I doubt the last part. But overall sure.

Do you play at the Fayetteville Y?

You're damn right! Lived in Fayetteville my first 22 years, and still go there when I am back in town. I've played with Justin Thomas and Demetris Nichols there. No sign of Reese or the legend that is BRNCUSEFRVCUSE, although he could have been right next to me for all I know. In fact, I bet I've yelled at him while playing.

Hitting a baseline fade away over Paul Harris at Archbold was my crowning moment. His response- "now you can tell people you made a shot over Paul Harris." Oh, I will Paul, I most definitely will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom