Top 10 college football teams of all-time | Syracusefan.com

Top 10 college football teams of all-time

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, without clicking that link, I'm going to assume that'll be...

Ohio State
Michigan
Notre Dame
USC
Oklahoma
Texas
Miami
Nebraska
Penn State
Alabama

Now the fun part is seeing how close I am...

EDIT: Okay, I didn't see that it's the greatest SINGLE SEASON teams, and not overall throughout program history. Scratch my list, then.

I just don't see how anyone can ignore the Carlisle Indian School team of 1911.

(Wikipedia) In 1911, the Indians posted an 11–1 record, which included one of the greatest upsets in college football history. Against Harvard, Thorpe scored all of the Indians' points in a shocking upset over the period powerhouse, 18–15. The only loss for Carlisle came at the hands of Syracuse the following week, 12–11

You can't say all-time without listing any or all of these Michigan teams:

1901: Undefeated and unscored upon.
1902: Undefeated and scored over 80 points in a game four times, and over 100 twice while only allowing 12 points the whole season.

"From 1901 to 1905, Michigan’s record was 55-1-1, posted 50 shutouts, won 4 National Championships, and outscored opponents 2,821 -42."

Not for nothing, but back in 1978 I was the starting defensive end (speed not size) for the undefeated Intramural football champions at Oswego State. We went 6-0 in the regular season scoring 146 points and only giving up 6. Then went 3-0 in the dorm championships and, as two touchdown dogs, beat the three time defending champ fraternity winner.

Easily one of the top ten collegiate teams of all times.