Top 25 question. | Syracusefan.com

Top 25 question.

CU44SE

All Conference
So I have had a few. Just looking. Last time after week 6 (editing to clarify, week of 12/10) we were ranked in top 25 was 2013-2014 season. That is 9 seasons ago. Is this right? Is this possible? Yes we have made a final four since then. But that’s crazy to think it has been 9 years since we were ranked in the top 25 after 6 weeks.

Last edited:
So I have had a few. Just looking. Last time after week 6 we were ranked in top 25 was 2013-2014 season. That is 9 seasons ago. Is this right? Is this possible? Yes we have made a final four since then. But that’s crazy to think it has been 9 years since we were ranked in the top 25 after 6 weeks.
Seniors in high school were in 3rd grade. Which means they don’t even remember us being good.

Inexcusable to let it slip this far, but it’s too late now to maintain anything from what we had for so long before.

Yeah it is right and thus it is possible.

Best to stop looking back and wishing for what no longer defines the program.
We are in a new era of SU Basketball.
A run in the tournament would equate to a mid-major Cinderella Story.

I await the people who count the final rankings as meaning something.

This is what I used. We also haven’t been ranked in the final rankings since that year either. I know we made sweet 16 and final four within that stretch but I don’t believe we made the final rankings those years. But I could be wrong.

This is what I used. We also haven’t been ranked in the final rankings since that year either. I know we made sweet 16 and final four within that stretch but I don’t believe we made the final rankings those years. But I could be wrong.
We were in the top 25 in the final rankings in 2016, 2018 and 2021. That’s what twothree is referring to. The coaches poll does a final post tourney top 25, not the AP. It does seem incredibly stupid that the AP doesn’t do a final poll after the tournament. The post season (including conference and NCAA tourneys) count, just as much if not more than anything that happened during the regular season. Why does the AP stop doing polls at the end of the regular season when so much basketball is still left to be played? That said, it’s still pathetic and unacceptable that we haven’t been ranked in the regular season after Jan 1 in 9 years or whatever.

Last edited:
So I have had a few. Just looking. Last time after week 6 we were ranked in top 25 was 2013-2014 season. That is 9 seasons ago. Is this right? Is this possible? Yes we have made a final four since then. But that’s crazy to think it has been 9 years since we were ranked in the top 25 after 6 weeks.
That damn final 4 was the worst thing that could have happened.

Fun fact: I lost power and couldn't even watch it. Worst of all worlds for me!
I was at the game and the most fun I had was shooting the sht with some guy who played for Villanova back in the 80s. Because our game sucked and was no fun

We were in the top 25 in the final rankings in 2016, 2018 and 2021. That’s what twothree is referring to. The coaches poll that does a final post tourney top 25, not the AP. It does seem incredibly stupid that the AP doesn’t do a final poll after the tournament. The post season (including conference and NCAA tourneys) count, just as much if not more than anything that happened during the regular season. Why does the AP stop doing polls at the end of the regular season when so much basketball is still left to be played? It’s still pathetic and unacceptable that we haven’t been ranked in the regular season after Jan 1 in 9 years or whatever.
That’s the info I didn’t see and wasn’t sure of. It does say final poll for AP but that must mean final poll prior to the tournament. I did find it a little crazy we made the final four and not a top 25 rankings to end the year. Didn’t realize only the coaches poll has a post tournament ranking.

And we actually have not been ranked after December 10 in the AP since 2013-2014. It’s not even January, it’s the second week of December. We don’t even make it out of first semester of the school year ranked since 13-14.

That damn final 4 was the worst thing that could have happened.
I would never trade in a Final Four banner because they're so hard to come by (well, we don't actually hang those because we're weird, but you know what I mean.)

But I strongly believe that making the tourney in 2017-2018 and the miracle Sweet 16 run was the worst thing that could have ever happened to us.

I would never trade in a Final Four banner because they're so hard to come by (well, we don't actually hang those because we're weird, but you know what I mean.)

But I strongly believe that making the tourney in 2017-2018 and the miracle Sweet 16 run was the worst thing that could have ever happened to us.
I love that we made the Sweet 16 (as opposed to the alternative), but after a really mediocre season it just means winning two games. It is a strange metric to be hanging our hats on when the regular seasons are so subpar.

Unfortunately, this is accurate. I've posted in a different thread(s) {one of many here of similar note} that we have not been ranked as winter officially commences since the same time frame.

Some of us, as this was happening, were pointing this out, however, the usual suspects here kept mentioning yeah, okay, whatever type garb, we've been in the Final Four, Sweet 16, etc. during this time, yada, yada, yada.

Here we are today, where instead of it being 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, it's as you mentioned, nearly a decade now.

Best to stop looking back and wishing for what no longer defines the program.
We are in a new era of SU Basketball.
A run in the tournament would equate to a mid-major Cinderella Story.

Indeed. Instead of what was accustomed, being usually in a Top 16 seeded position, and being "dangerous" we are now and have been that cute little 10/11 type seed the media still likes to fabricate into ooh, who wants to play them in the first round malarkey.

Indeed. Instead of what was accustomed, being usually in a Top 16 seeded position, and being "dangerous" we are now and have been that cute little 10/11 type seed the media still likes to fabricate into ooh, who wants to play them in the first round malarkey.
We’re not even that anymore. This is looking like the 3rd time in 4 years where we won’t even be close to making the tourney.

I love that we made the Sweet 16 (as opposed to the alternative), but after a really mediocre season it just means winning two games. It is a strange metric to be hanging our hats on when the regular seasons are so subpar.
Like everyone else, I was euphoric in the moment when we beat Michigan State. But I think it created this false sense of security that everything was fine when in reality our program has been in a steady freefall since the end of 2014. And that 2018 run may have artificially extended JBs tenure a few years as opposed to if we simply didn't make the tourney (which honestly we probably shouldn't have).

Saying tournament wins are the worst thing that ever happened to us is stupid. Sorry folks.

This is like saying a team losing the SB is the worst thing that could happen to an NFL team.

And I want JB to go as much as anyone.

Thats on the AD and Juli(kidding) mostly.

Unfortunately, this is accurate. I've posted in a different thread(s) {one of many here of similar note} that we have not been ranked as winter officially commences since the same time frame.

Some of us, as this was happening, were pointing this out, however, the usual suspects here kept mentioning yeah, okay, whatever type garb, we've been in the Final Four, Sweet 16, etc. during this time, yada, yada, yada.

Here we are today, where instead of it being 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, it's as you mentioned, nearly a decade now.

I have been in this camp since the 2018-2019 season where I started to seriously question the direction of the program. 2 wins in march two separate times has really clouded many peoples minds. (I’m aware one of them was 3 because of the play in game).

The Simpsons Reaction GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom